Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help please , 63 Galaxie problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pride63, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pride63

pride63

Tonight I started putting my lower control arm back on my 63 country sedan all was going well until the last nut, the one that goes threads into chassis at front and threads onto the anti harsh crank stripped the threads in chassis.
    A couple of questions
    Is it ok to to weld this into position until my Rare parts lower control arm offset shaft replacement kit turns up and please tell me the afore mentioned kit doesn't require the threads in chassis.
    Thanks in anticipation . Mark , England

2. XL-FE

XL-FE

Never had that pleasure :eek: but that nut/bolt isn´t supposed to move. It should be fixed while on the road. As I remember there should be some washers or shims to add or subtract for adjusting the front end alignment and of course you need to be able to unscrew the nut/bolt for THAT reason.

3. pride63

pride63

I know it shouldn't move that's why I wondered if I could weld it , if I set it to a gap from. Anti harsh crank of 0.14" (3.55mm ) first do you think it would be ok ?

4. XL-FE

XL-FE

I need to check the shop manual first.

5. XL-FE

XL-FE

I´ve checked the manual. " Install the forward bolt from the front side of the front crossmember with sufficient shims between the crossmember and arm to prevent forward and backward movement of the arm. Install the insulator, washer and retaining nut ont he bolt but do not tighten"... So, as I see it, no play and no bind.

6. pride63

pride63

Thanks I have followed the manual exactly and welded it In to position .this should be fine until the parts turn up

7. lgh1157

lgh1157

I have swapped these out a few times - as you know P63.

Welding it would be fine

Also - the rare parts replacement does not need any threads, its just a large washer/spacer thing

L

8. R Pope

R Pope

Big Foot... The anti-harsh thing is a brain fart that Ford put on big Fords and Mercs to make them ride cushy. I think the kit referred to locks it from functioning and firms up the suspension. There is a tie rod-like bar that goes from one A-frame mount, across to the other.

9. pride63

pride63

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think the 62 lower control arms can be used to eliminate those funky cushy ride parts,when I had my 64 I got some parts from Moog that kept those parts from moving.