Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Sorry 31, but Eubonics isn't appropriate to the historical period we celebrate here.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

less jibberjabber and more tools please.

Chris Stapley and dad-bud like this.
  3. J53

J53
    from WI

Since we are so far off topic here, it's "our". C'mon now, back to cool home-built stuff...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. NONHOG

NONHOG

New hammer,

Attached Files:

5. freezerburn

freezerburn

Thanks, room for a little mig or cracker box too:)

6. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Totally OT, but . . .

A quickie router template for cutting wheelwells in my skateboard.
    [​IMG]

Oak tire "irons" for when you don't want to scratch that $600 mag wheel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Digging that. Gonna have to build one of those.

8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job on the stump, too. How did you get the dish so perfect?

9. Contour gauge. Cheep, easy to handle, easy to make. Sign board straws and black tape. Inspired by another thread.

IMAG0726b.jpg IMAG0727b.jpg

Straws can be lengthen by sliding two together one inside the other. This one is four ft. long. Attach two for eight feet.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  10. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Don't forget your ear plugs for the Spring Event in Dennison[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  11. I think you may have to sign up to see these??

12. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Yeah, no pics for me either.

13. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Wingnut you're trying to hot link from a site that won't allow it.

Please use the HAMB attachment manager & store them here to avoid that issue.

14. I will put up pictures this weekend of my "Swingset" I designed this swingset to separate bodies from frames on my own. Nothing new there except mine is portable and has no angle braces getting in the way when lifting and the biggest deal I like is it has 1/8" beam deflection at 2 ton. It does weigh a 1000 lbs. and takes 3 to 4 people to set it up and take it down and 2-8' step ladders. I have set it up on the ground before and then rotated it to a standing position(it took 3 of us and it took everything we had to rotate it). Did I mention it is 10' tall 6' deep and 12' wide, each side section is about 300 lbs give or take 50 lbs or so and the top is about 150 lbs give or take 30 lbs or so, bottom is 150 lbs give or take. I built it in tech school and the professors and engineers wouldn't let me finish adding the gussets at the center drop down plate, which would of made it be able to hold up to 8 ton. Right now it is rated to hold 4 ton with no gussets. Every piece of steel is quarter inch thick and is either 4" square or 5" square. It is handy to have when you got to lift something in the field and set it on a trailer. I have to design a trailer to haul it with maybe make it where it is set up on the trailer then have it be able to slide backwards to lift the object then slide forward to set the object down on the trailer. Wow after all that I need a beer. The trailer idea came to mind while I was typing this.

15. Here are a couple pictures of the swingset, like I said simple in design, massive in abilities

Attached Files:

16. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

]My gantry hoist, electric hoist on trolly, Serious swivel castors, could`nt live without now.
    69 straight axle 011 (Small).jpg

Roger53 likes this.
  17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Wingnut that is a real fine peace of equipment that you have constructed.

18. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Dan,
    That is looking good! if you put it in the right place the shop will act like a big old horn speaker and be louder at the other end! Found that out the hard way. ;)
    Have fun! tt

19. jazz1

jazz1

It's a quite impressive looking piece of equipment. What is the machine?

20. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Started fabricating my own english wheel. Using the Imperial Wheel design and referencing from measurements on the metalmeet.com forum I drew mine up on paper and then layed it out. Using 4x6 0.25 wall tubing. All the components I am using for this machine are made by Hoosier Profiles. Highly recommend their stuff, its top quality. Will post more pics as progress continues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. freezerburn

freezerburn

53chevtrev that is VERY exciting to me and enters near the top of my short list:) Lemme ask why you made the bottom piece removeable with 4 bolts? Are there going to be more future heads made or just in case of bending..? Be cool -freezerburn

22. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Most machines with this sort of design has the lower anvil arm removable in case you ever have to shape something with lots of contour, I could fab up another arm for more clearance. I would rather have the option to change it up then be stuck not able to. I plan on keeping this thing for life.

23. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

Just curious how you are going to weld it up and not have it pull out of true? Weld the open end temporarily and cut it off after?

24. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

Once I'm happy with everything it will be taken apart, clamped onto a frame table and welded. Afterwards everything will be rechecked before finishing the lower anvil arm and the top adjuster which will be welded last.

25. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

OK, NOW I'm seriously jealous. :eek:

26. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

No kidding!

I think he's secretly shaping plates for a homemade submarine hull, but you didn't hear it from me. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  27. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Jazz,
    Wingnut Dan is building a Yoder clone, a 1920-40's style power hammer for shaping sheet metal. 90 series machine if I remember my Yoder model numbers.

28. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

That is a Yoder 90 on one side and a P-2 pettingell on the other . The yoder is a 120lb hammer and the P-2 is a 90lb one .

Cant wait to see how Luke and Ed Thomas turns out .

29. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Dan,
    I haven't talked to them in a while, I think they have Jimmy's to copy from and any mods he came up with. I am going to miss the rarest of all Yoder equipment.

rareyodertrashcan1.jpg

The yoder TC (trash can)

Btw I was thinking that looked like a Pettingell but lacks the ram safety guard. You probably won't need it, that was something operators added so the ram doesn't kill them, like many of the Little Giant B/S hammer had a catcher for the spring.

30. jazz1

jazz1

Thanks,,,I dont think it was at the shop when I was down in October,,,now that i see how they work I can understand the excitement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYx_iLAEiWQ