Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model a lake style headers - to under car exhaust.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scoggman, Apr 10, 2014.

1. scoggman

scoggman

So I built a set of lake style headers with glass pack inserts and they are still to loud. Anyone have some pics of attaching to the lake styles, then through the fenders and out the back? Did the exaust go under the frame, or between the frame and fenders! Thanks, scoggman

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. I've seen it run thru side apron.

3. Weird A

Weird A

Check out Bulls model a sedan built by Titus.

Bill

63fairlane likes this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What baffle did you use? Maybe you can change up.

5. scoggman

scoggman

I cut a smithy in half.... and it was crazy loud. Cut down some auger style mufflers, took a while to taper them, but hopefully they work better.

Attached Files:

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Others will chime in, but I think augers will be just as loud or louder. I took the ones used for Speedways T Bucket headers and cut one end off and inserted them into my lake cones. I kept the fiber glass wrapping on them. I get a nice raspy tone.

Attached Files:

7. scoggman

scoggman

Cool, if that augers don't work out, I'll give them as shot. This is what I had. Maybe the speedway ones have a better baffel.

Attached Files:

8. Beau

Beau

Or so they say. I'm in the process of gathering exhaust stuff and need baffles so this is perfect timing.

9. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

Try stuffing steel wool between the baffles.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I considered doing that with mine. I'm going to repaint mine this summer, so I'll try it then. The thing about noise levels is not so much the vehicle owner, but those around him or her. I could live with mine being a little louder, but being "the asshole with the loud car", isn't anything to be proud of. When people see a hot rod, they expect it to be louder than a regular car. They don't expect open pipe, drag strip noise.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  11. a bloke

a bloke

I saw a photo on here a while ago where the pipe to the under-car exhaust went down from the rear between the 3&4 pipe on the lakes header. It was a clever solution and not very noticeable. It might have been an Aussie car?

12. Speed~On

Speed~On

Since you have fenders I would run your exhaust pipes the way Titus ran Bulls exhaust as suggested above. There is a build thread of the car oh here.

I have a Model A coupe with lake style headers. I used Car Chemistry baffels and I'm very happy with them. It was still quite loud so I ran exhaust from my lake style headers, under my car, and out the back. (fenderless coupe) It was a tight fit but it was well worth it. The reduction in noise inside the car decreased considerably. The car is more enjoyable to drive as the noise level inside the car is accaptable and I'm no longer being exposed to exhaust/carbon monoxide. I highly recommend you complete what you're considering. And NO, I'm not old....I just know better.:D

13. Speed~On

Speed~On

Here is another example of how to do it. This is not Bulls, but the same idea. This looks awesome and I would do it this way.
    [​IMG]

14. scoggman

scoggman

Yeah I've seen that one, and I like it a lot! Very similar to my car. I was just wondering what it looks like under the car and how he roughted his tubes.

15. scoggman

scoggman

Maybe my problem was that the pipe needed to be a smaller diameter? I think I my glass pack was 2" pipe. Maybe that was too big and let too much sound through. It looks like the VW stingers have a smaller diameter tube.

How small can you go before you are restricing too much?

16. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

I run Harley sportster mufflers inside my pipes.just drilled a couple more holes in the back of em and slid them in.they sound good,not too loud and they are super cheap.

17. scoggman

scoggman

What do you guys think? Is it going to burn out in like 10 minutes, or restrict too much flow?

Attached Files:

18. scoggman

scoggman

Well... I just wnt with one on the end. If it works, I'll put a flange on the turnout so that I can repack it.

Attached Files:

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Stuff it in and see what happens.

Yea, that's what she said.

20. scoggman

scoggman

Funny stuff right there!

21. scoggman

scoggman

Well.... that didn't work out so well..... and it wasn't any quieter before it blew out.

I think the augers are about as loud as the glasspacks. At idel they aren't that bad.... but I could see it getting pretty old during the 45 min drive to work everyday!

Anybody got any pics of how they ran the exhaust on their model a's? I looked for bull's build, but couldn't find it.... I'll look again!

Attached Files:

22. titus

titus

heres a pic of Bulls

Attached Files:

• 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      367.5 KB
      Views:
  23. flthd31

flthd31

I assume your looking for ideas how to route pipe.
    Here are some pics from Rolfe's excellent build that I had saved. It's a 32 frame but still might be of some help. He cut in ahead of the firewall and went under from there. His build is in the tech section but all the pics are gone.

Attached Files:

24. scoggman

scoggman

Thanks guys!!! I really appreciate the pics! I never even thought about running the down tube in front of the fire wall. Going to go check if I have room! Would be nice to not have to cut my fenders!!!

Thanks again!

25. scoggman

scoggman

Hey guys, here is a video of the first start up with the cut off glass packs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-BRNVbTMxI&feature=youtu.be

I didn't get a video with the augers. It may have been a little quieter, but not much. I ordered a set of thrush turbo mufflers and should get them tomorrow so we can start building the under car exhaust.

Check out retailmenot.com they had a promo coad and I got 30% off on my mufflers from Advanced Auto. $60.00 mufflers for $40.00!

26. aircoup

aircoup

i built some also used steel wool and wrapped em up with stainless wire real tight worked great not too loud either

27. scoggman

scoggman

Put the auger mufflers in, but it was still too loud to daily drive an hour to work..... and fumey..... So I ended up doing this. Ran it under the car through some thrush turbo mufflers. It's perfect now! low growl from behind, and nice on the inside. r_02.jpg 2015-01-18 21.50.52.jpg rh.jpg

28. A Rodder

A Rodder

1022091737.jpg

This is what I did. The cap could come off or on, I generally had a cap that I cut out a 3" hole in and welded a turnout on it.on the other side if the turnout going on to the cone I welded a cut down VW stinger wrapped in additional fiberglass. About half the exhaust would go thru that, about half would go thru the down tubes and out thru glass packs.

It was very reasonable in the car. Previously when it was only fully open it was reallllly loud

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  29. A Rodder

A Rodder

I should add, the down pipe was 2" I believe

30. scoggman

scoggman

That looks great! and you didn't have to cut your fenders. How are the fumes inside? Even with turn outs, I couldn't handel it!