Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical timing a early small block ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evobuilder, Apr 10, 2014.

1. evobuilder

evobuilder

so.... I have scoured Google, Bing, youTube, etc and have found very little good info on setting timing on a early Ford 302. Lots of general tips, but all vague at best. Here is what I found....

set timing to 6 degrees BTDC or.... set timing to 15 degrees BTDC (whaaa..... seriously, who is right???)

I have a relatively stock early 302, but have a 4bbl, headers and turbo mufflers with dual exhaust (no cross over).

Do I want 6, 8, 10, 14. 18..... geesh! You cannot get a solid answer. If I had a SBC, I could find a MILLION answers, videos, blogs, forums, etc. but you'd think that the SBF community is keeping a secret :)

Also.... do I time with the vacuum line attached or disconnected????
    - I just ordered a new carb so I can eliminate that as an issue
    - I have new plugs, wires, cap and rotor
    - with the new carb installed, where do I set the timing
    (and do I do it with the vacuum line connected to the distributor or not)?

Thoughts?

2. 10bucks

10bucks

Echlin tune up specs 1984, initial timing set at 6 deg btdc @ 575 rpm no vac adv connected. Total vac adv 10 deg @ 20 in vacuum, total centrifugal adv 13 deg @ 2500 rpm. Be sure to check the advance totals one at a time as fords distributors would wear out the stop block in the vacuum advance and old ones would over advance. This adds up to a total advance of 29 degrees @ 2500 rpm. most ford dampeners only had a scale to 30 degrees. it's good to make a mark at 40 with a white pen. Or use a dynamic timing light so you can read the timing directly off the light readout. We always add 4 degrees to the initial here because of altitude, that don't apply to you in Seattle.

3. 10bucks

10bucks

These specs were for a 1971 Ford 302. You didn't say how early.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Sbf's like a little advance, so I simply advance the distributor until the car cranks real slow and then I retard it just a tad so it cranks normally. Maybe not scientific, but it has always worked well for me that way. I've played with timing lights and they seem to verify that what I do puts it pretty close to being right on.

Don

5. evobuilder

evobuilder

all great advice, I have a new carb on order and expect it will solve most of my issues. Wil post an update once installed this week.

6. 10bucks

10bucks

There you go. Like Don said sbf's like a little advance. The 331 in my wagon runs at 12 degrees initial, with a total advance of 46 @ 3000 rpm. (HEI distributor) So you have some room to play around.

7. Yep, they like advance... 10-12 at idle, vac disconnected is where I almost always ended up. Do look at the mechanical advance; some of the later distributors had quite a bit less total advance and slow curves, reworking the springs/stops can pay dividends...