Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods column shift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snakecbaker, Apr 9, 2014.

1. snakecbaker

snakecbaker
    from Keyser, WV

Does anyone have a column shift in there hot rod. Thinking of using on in a 23 t bucket. I have only see one.

[​IMG]

2. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Going to try to use the column shift on my 46 column I am using in my T roadster. Of course that is for three on the tree, not quite the same. Pic stolen from the HAMB. Looks tight but doable.

Attached Files:

3. fatkoop

fatkoop

Yep. Stock '40 Ford 3-on-the-tree. I get lots of questions from people about half my age, "how does that work?" Older guys just smile and tell me stories of their first car, first girlfriend, etc.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I once drove a 32 ford cabriolet with a '40 three on the tree setup. Fun!

If you're going to do it, do it right

5. I've got a 40 ford set up on the '32 Cabrio I recently purchased. Works great, fun to drive!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397109854.509577.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397109901.067075.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. bdw515

bdw515
    from Oregon

Mine isn't quite as old, but I drive a 64 c10 three on the tree, works great!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It was common to put in a hotrod floor shifter back in the day.
    [​IMG]

My 56 is still 3 on the tree W/OD

8. Alot of us have used the stock 40 3 in the tree shifter for a automatic. HRP

9. squirrel

squirrel

I used a truck Hydramatic shifter, with parts from an early 50s Powerglide shifter, on my 57 suburban. It looks pretty neat. Not very hot roddy though

10. Andy

Andy

I have a 40 column in my roadster. I was going to be denied a safety 21 pin at a NSRA show because I did not have a shift pattern placard. Nobody knew what a standard shift was. I had explane how it worked.

11. mj40's

mj40's

1940 car dash added to my 40 Ford pickup. I used the 40 car column as well. All hooked up to a 700r4 using the Lokar linkage kit. Neutral safety switch and shift dent supplied by Limeworks. All works great!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  12. You've got to be shitting me! :confused: That's pretty sad.

13. squirrel

squirrel

Used to be all the girls I hung out with drove standard column shift. Damn, I'm getting old.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When I was a kid an older neighborhood rodder had (still has it I understand) a channeled 32 roadster with a column shifted trans in it. When he first built the car it had a flathead but he swapped a sbc into it later on but kept the column shift. I always thought that was the coolest thing, so different from all the floorshifts you see.

I would have put one in my 27 but there was barely enough room for the clutch pedal as it was.

Don

15. That is a sad commentary on the state of the NSRA! Kinda like the MSRA the year they kicked Moriarity out of BTT50s for his Roth trike when Roth was featured on the event shirt that year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That is why we build hot rods rather than street rods. :D We know what we doin'. :D

Don

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Some hot rod roadsters in the early fifties were changed to column shift by the owners, not sure why. A few years later everyone wanted floor shift.

18. snakecbaker

snakecbaker
    from Keyser, WV

I like the idea of a automatic column shift on a t bucket to free up what little floor space there is.