Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help identifing rearend and trany

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Nut, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Hi,
    I just bought a 46 chevy truck project and need help to see what I have. I think the rearend is a pontic . Has a different front yoke than I'm use to. There are numbers on it in cast #513261,and 6 ribs and removes from the front, also 11 is on the other side.
    Also it has a B&M hydro with this floor stick shifter on it. The engine is a 61 Olds 394 .The trany was said to be overhauled , and there is brown wax type paper seal on the rear output shaft and on speedometer output? Any help on either ?

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

looks like a complete olds drivetrain, although the trans and rearend are older than the engine.

That rear is not a chevy truck rear....since the rear cover does not unbolt, also the flange takes a funky U joint, while Chevy trucks used normal 1310 or 1350 U joints.

3. George/Maine

George/Maine

I guess its a Ford rear end 1949 thur 1956

4. BJR

BJR

50's Olds used a u joint like the one pictured.

5. I'd say that rear is early '50s Olds/Pontiac. Check for the alphanumeric casting date code, i.e., A124, C273, etc., on the third member. Letters equate to the month, last digit is the year, and numbers in between are the day of the month. My '47 Olds rear had the date code on the flange by the bolt in the five o'clock position. My '58 Olds rear had it located directly above the casting number at the nine o'clock position, although it was commonly on the raised part near the snout at the three o'clock position for that year.

Attached Files:

6. Ole don

Ole don

The U joint with flanges is called a "Mechanics" U joint.

7. BigJim394

BigJim394

This is a slant pan hydro with the HIGHLY desireable B&M Big Stick Floor Shifter.
    Check the other side of the trans to see if it has the red oval shape B&M Sticker
    Could be you have a real B&M Hydro with their shifter

8. bchctybob

bchctybob

What a score HRN! That's the ultimate hot rod drivetrain in my opinion. That shifter is gold, can't find those anywhere.
    I'd agree with Bowtie, it looks to be an early '50s Olds rear end. They're strong but sorta hard to get parts for these days.

9. squirrel

squirrel

I knew that. But I forgot. Good thing someone can still remember...

10. F&J

F&J

Not sure if you know that a Hydramatic needs a pilot bushing in the crankshaft, just like a standard shift. 57-64 A/T equipped cranks were not drilled for a bushing.

So,.. either that is a very rare 394 standard shift motor, or the orig A/T crank was drilled for bushing in the swap.

Also, 57-64 motors were external balanced with special front dampers and flywheels, and those older Hydros were originally "neutral balanced" for use with internal balanced pre-57 motors.

So,... the builder must have either had the 394 rebalanced to internal, or had the hydro "flywheel" balanced to the "external balanced 394"

This all makes it a cool setup for someone, as it is not common to see a 394/Hydramatic these days.

11. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Hi , I did some more reserch, took some more pics, I found the drive shaft that came with the truck, took off the tape around the one end and found thsi different looking ujoint with caps that have ends and bolts and it fits the rearend, so maybe this will help with the identify it? Also found the red tag bigjim said to look for and it has # stamped into it...R5405 B3694A? also some cast #...CFD...8615013...193 ??? I know nothing about "drag race stuff" Any help will be great, Thanks

Attached Files:

12. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Just a note...I found out that the U joint is a [Rear] 54..55..56 Olds. soooo maybe the rearend is a 54,55,or 56 Olds.

13. It certainly could be 54-56 Olds. What is the bolt circle on it?

14. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Yea thanks, its 5 0n 5 . I forgot to mention that.:)

15. BigJim394

BigJim394

The B&M tag usually had a letter code indicating the build level of the transmission or how much horsepower it could take
    The went something like SS for the Super Street Model,
    UC for un blown Competition Drag Cars, and C for blown Competetion Cars

16. BigJim394

BigJim394