Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 9" gear pattern. How's it look to you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasser dad #1, Apr 9, 2014.

1. gasser dad #1

gasser dad #1
    from Minnesota

I have only set backlash on one rearend before so I was wondering if anyone of you mechanic H.A.M.B.sters can tell me how it looks.

Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. mechanic58

mechanic58

Pinion depth looks correct - backlash might be a tad loose. What ratio is it?

3. gasser dad #1

gasser dad #1
    from Minnesota

4.00:1

4. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Looks good to me. I wouldn't be afraid to run it.

5. Pattern doesn't look too bad. Did you measure the backlash? Curious what you got.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. gasser dad #1

gasser dad #1
    from Minnesota

Thanks.

7. mechanic58

mechanic58

Should be ok then - typically, the lower the gear the looser the backlash should be. You should still check the backlash with a dial just to be sure. It probably shouldn't be more than .010"-.012". If it was a taller gear, like about a 2.75-.3.25, then the backlash setting would be closer to .008".

8. gasser dad #1

gasser dad #1
    from Minnesota

It has been on the shelf quite a while while I build the rest of the car. I was curious of the backlash last night as I posted this. I will take a measurement soon and post it.

9. gasser dad #1

gasser dad #1
    from Minnesota

Very helpful. I will be checking backlash soon. As mentioned before that I am curious what the measurement is. I should know that stuff but I haven't messed with this part of the car in a while.

Thanks everyone on for your help.

10. mechanic58

mechanic58

If the backlash is too loose, you will find that the gear will be noisier, especially on decel.

11. Ole don

Ole don

The pattern looks perfect, but I would like to see it half way the height of the tooth. It looks a tad too high to me.

12. ^2 a little high, your backlash may be too much.

13. Ring gear needs to move closer to pinion.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. gasser dad #1

gasser dad #1
    from Minnesota

I thought it looked high to me too. But I have limited experience setting up diffs.

15. gasser dad #1

gasser dad #1
    from Minnesota

What is the best product for painting the gear to re check the pattern? I was sold Prussian blue but like the white a bit more.

16. stimpy

stimpy

you can get marking compound at a local Gm dealer Part #1052351 . its yellow but easy to work with . prussian blue will be hard to remove as its more for marking than for this type of work .

and yes it will work on a Ford ..

17. aaggie

aaggie

All of the old books say to use white lead but it is no longer available. I use white Lithium grease.

18. You will be sorry for buying the GM yellow paste, IT GETS ON EVERYTHING......
    I use moly or white grease.

19. stimpy

stimpy

never had a problem with it in all the years I have used the stuff . put a pea sized dab on a piece of cardboard and apply it with a flux brush , and wipe it off with a paper towel with brake clean on it . like greacian formula a lil dab will do ya

20. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I use anti-seize, which is just powdered lead and thin grease mixed, & you can put a dab of paint in to color it. It will dry eventually, but washes right off with oil. You can actually just leave it on the gears though. It won't hurt anything in the differential in the small amount necessary to read the pattern.

BTW I thought that pattern looked a bit high & also slightly heavy on the heel.

21. gasser dad #1

gasser dad #1
    from Minnesota

Yeah I've read in an ancient international harvester manual to use red lead. I figured good luck finding that stuff.

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think I would take a little shim out of the pinion and see what it looks like then.

23. Bounder

Bounder

And I thought it was Bryll Cream that a little dab would do Ya! But I'm old. Prussin blue will get all over everything too, especially on the handles of a lathe. HAHA!

24. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Lead paste is easy to make. You need a fishing sinker, grease, and a file.

25. gas & guns

gas & guns

Just a tad high.