Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another HAMB car gets a cover on Mag.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Langan, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

My 35 truck made it to cover of Street Rodder They changed the wheels,paint,dash,front of bed,side frame covers,location of master cyclinder,bat and put a nice intiour in it. They also took credit for all the other custom stuff. I guess thats a OK they paid for it. But it was build on the HAMB and thank you all.
    Story of my life I build someone paints and gets credit. This must happen to alot of other builders?

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Congrats, and.... I'm sorry to hear it.

Deep breath.....

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ditto. My copy came in the mail at noon. Dang the bad / good luck. Gary

4. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

A lot of great builders on the HAMB. I wonder how many get credit.

5. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Hey post some pics of it before it was on the mag cover. You know we support out brothers here. Get to posting there's more viewers here then any magazine anyway.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If it's the same car in your album, it looks like great work. Who didn't give credit? The new owner? The shop that finished it?

There was a thread a while back about builds and who gets credit. A lot of builders said, as long as they're paid, they don't care. Personally, I'd want the credit or at least a mention.

7. that sucks... my old '28 pickup was in Ol Skool rodz and I contacted the previous owner first to make sure I got the spelling right in his and his sons name. I gave them credit as being the builders. Right is right... sorry about that man...

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""Personally, I'd want the credit or at least a mention.""

Me too but sometimes those writing the story don't want to hear it...

9. thunderplex

thunderplex

Was/is the truck yours? Was it changed after you sold it? Confusing?

10. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

It is the green 35-6 in my album. And while nice they have the resources to get it in mag that would not have happened with me. I just got in on road when I had a life threating accedent. You are rite they paied for it is there's but to say they did the work. I am over it

11. Firecat7

Firecat7

covers are all political...its all in who you know n rub elbows with! happens to me all the time n I've been in rod business 30 years. jus throw your hands up n move on. YOU know the truth n probably a few of your buds. all that matters. nice HOTROD ,guy.... great proportions. you know what your doin. build on !

12. mike bowling

mike bowling

Only mag my car ever got into was the " Auto Hunter " when I sold it! Pretty common from my experience that a lot of cars are "built" by the new owners- it's kinda funny when you ask them about rear end gearing or steering geometry ( I'm kind of a sadist that way; love to make ;em squirm). YOU know it's yours, and it DID get published, so congratulations. Mike from Mass.

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

X2, I was at Rhinebeck bunch of years back..This guy had a Caddilac, 30's vintage with a lot of work done...As I stood by lisening him say I did this and I did that..This car was gorgious and I just couldn't fathom this guy doing the quality of work in the body and in the interior at home...I lisened for about a half hour or so, it was all "I"...A month later I get Goodguys and there is a four page spread on the same car..The guy had a designer, a shop that did the work [not his], an apolsterer, etc, etc....He consulted a lot of people to do what I heard him say "I" did...In my book what a dork, especially knowing full well that the spread was to come out in Goodguys...So as mike said, feel good..

14. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

The folks that matter, are here on the HAMB. You can take pride in turning out a nice ride.

15. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

Jim, that does suck but...you know you built it, we know you built it. I've known Jim for 45 years and he was building race cars in high school, in an old barn with a dirt floor. Everything he builds is nice, clean and fast. The Hamb family knows you built that truck and that's all that matters. Keep up the good work

16. 5window

5window

It's a nice truck and i agree you didn't get much credit for your design and work- "the truck was drivable and had potential, although a little rough around the edges". So they're not claiming an entire build. On the other hand, they do state in the article that the rebuild list was "extensive"-as you yourself note in the original post.

So,just for arguments sake, I am wondering at what point for any vehicle, "your" build becomes "their" build. How many things, what percentage of a car's final appearance, has to be the creation of the current owner to say it's their's and not your's? I don't know the answer, but there are way more cars out there that have been owned and subsequently modified by numerous owners than there are cars that one person built from scratch and did all the work themselves.

So the answer lies somewhere in between and buying a project already underway, even well underway, isn't so much different that having it built for you by Rad Rods by Troy or someone else. Somewhere in there, it becomes the current owner's car.

17. Way to go Langan!, as far as I am concerned you built it.Kool to get it in a mag and if it was not for you it would not exist.Pete

18. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

It's happened to me a handful of times ... The authors usually don't care ...think of it like in English class doing your assignment the night before its due... Just make it sound good ... Nobody will ask questions.. I think street Rodder may be the worst tho... A buddy of mine sold a roadster and was featured in a mag unchanged... But the story said the guy built his own chassis ect..ect.. It's the game ...

19. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I've known Jim over 40 years also and I for one know that magazines never get it right! I've been lucky enough to have some stuff featured in a few magazines and they never get it right for one reason or another. It is not always the new owner's fault because the magazines always take "literary license".
    I wish I had your talent and bottom line is those that know you, know your work.

20. boutlaw

boutlaw

Just recently got my issue and it is an awesome truck for sure, you did a great job, credit should have been given as all the hard stuff you did. My 31 coupe was in the Street Shaker section of the March 2014 issue. I built it and filled out the little form giving details, and to to my surprise my coupe has a roll down rear window....NOT. I'm sure some detail gets lost in the writeup but the actual builder should not have been overlooked, sorry bout that, damn nice built truck. Checked out YOUR truck on your album page.

21. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

Thank you all for your support

22. El Bombero

El Bombero

The only real way to get credit is to see the project through and complete it. That's what I try to do. When someone buys a project car they get the bragging rights and the problems. That's what an old timer told me years ago. I too sold an unpainted 31 phaeton long ago. An editor of a popular magazine bought it and finished it. I figure he paid for it and finished it his way. Now it's his car.

Mike

23. El Bombero

El Bombero

This might be true sometimes, but not all the time. When teach'm and I were on the cover of Street Rodder with our 32 sedans, we knew no one. Sometimes the cars speak for themselves.

Mike

24. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

Funny they got the chop and channel wrong not 3.5 and 4 its 4" chop and 6" channel. But just like my Ranchero met the second guy who bought it from me and same thing clamed he build it and knew nothing aboutit. Had fun with him.
    Like I said it is a great compliment when the work you do is good enough for others to take credit.
    I guess since I am laid up for a wile I can claim my meds for being such a whiner. Truth is I sold it before I had time to get over it or here others liked it. My rule is once built and others like it its gone.
    So best thing is to get back to building. Thank you all. Best forum ever

25. IMHO, you should get initial credit for the concept, the vision, the seedlings of an idea even though the truck wasn't completed to their magazine "standards" especially when it comes to the nuts and bolts of what was done and how you got it to that point.
    Just because the new owner changes paint, upholstery and some other minor things does not mean it gives them the credit for the imagined concept for the truck, that stance, and look still remains and can be seen without all the added "fluff". I believe you should have at least gotten a partial credit. Money is nice but it's not a resume builder.

26. ProRace

ProRace
    from Omaha

I have never built a car to get a magazine cover but rather built it for myself . If others like it or it's in a mag shoot then so be it. If you sell it then you should expect that you will fall to the bottom of the list for credits....

27. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

You built a killer truck. When Rudy sold his '36 bobber pick-up, it showed up awhile later on eBay in New Hampshire. Gone were the "flautistas" painted on the doors and there was not a single word about who built it which surprised me since I thought Rudy's name would have added value. Anyway, you're the creative artist, not some dork who takes credit when all they did was accessorize it.