Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1965 390 FE transmission setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53fordcustom, Apr 9, 2014.

1. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

I am running a 1965 390 FE that Ive had sitting around in my 28Ford Tudor. I need some help on figuring out transmission options... the past hour on google has just run me in circles.
    I've got it bolted up to what came with it which appears to be an MX transmission sitting in the rails now.. I wanted to either go to a C6(which the internet seems to be telling me that only works with 66 & up??) or other options. I cant even find a decent link on specifics of an "MX" transmission.. if I ran it for awhile, is an FMX generally the same?? (im asking because ive got a lokar shifter I can go pick up from a buddy if it would work)
    Im looking for bolt right on transmission options & or a link on specifics for the MX.. any insight would be appreciated!

2. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Search for "Ford Transmission Forum and throw a post up there.Lots of knowledgeable Ford transmission guys over there.... They also have a variety of factory diagrams to help you figure out which transmission you have.
    If you need any parts I would recommend Broader Performance in Texas.
    I would not buy the Lokar shifter without doing some research first.
    Good Luck!

3. Chiefrider

Chiefrider
    from Lower 48

What you probably have is the old medium-case Cruiseomatic, which is actually a pretty good trans, and the later FMX is basically the same- if it functions OK, you could do a service and run it- don't forget the band adjustment. The C6 will work, it just came out in '66 (C6 stands for 1966). 66 C6 trannys are generally avoided for swaps, as they have a one-year valve body with the old "green dot" shift pattern from the Cruiso, changed for 67. My 66 428 T-Bird has one, green dot and all

4. 58custom

58custom

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

The reason the say 66 is that's when they first came out. a later FE c6 will bolt up. I've got one our of a 76 f100 that I'm taking to a swap meet I wish you were closer.

6. x2...or x3 on the FMX trans being good as long as yer not dragging all the time...

7. mechanic58

mechanic58

Quicktime makes a bellhousing that'll allow you put a C4 behind an FE - that'd be the ticket in your little pickup.

8. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

So... just to recap. If i stick with my mx transmission... the "fmx" shifter & gearscare the same?