Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stuck Oil Filter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Apr 7, 2014.

1. I also vote for the biggest pair of channelocks. I've never seen a filter they couldn't get off, just grab it low on the bottom flange.

I was witness to my brother taking off a stuck filter on an old Valiant slant six. Tore the can off with a screwdriver first. Even the base of the filter came apart and he wound up using a hand chisel and a 3-lb hammer which took forever.

Bob

2. Where could I get these tools?

I'll also try the channel lock route. Can't use a blow dryer or anything because I live in an apartment building and there is no electrical outlets in the underground parking lot.

Thanks for all of you're help guys!

3. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

That one i put was a google pic. It said craftsman. Not sure on part numbers but google oil filter claw. Im sure most tool stores would have one or maybe an auto parts store.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. greazy john

greazy john

Aw come on it's just an oil filter....... have had same issue used all the same methods good luck.

5. Always (one) hand tighten, seal swells from the oil put on it.

6. .........I've had this tool for about 25 yrs. and if I recall correctly I got it from the Eastwood Co. in Pa. but my memory is not what it used to be.:D

7. tig master

tig master
    from up north

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Torch the can off, then build a simple spanner wrench using a bar and two screws. The two screws are then inserted into two of the base holes. Then simply turn the bar.

9. channel lock 460!

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If there is room that is what I use, I don't have an actual filter wrench that I know of. Maybe an old one in a box somewhere.

Turn it the "right way" is turning it counter clockwise looking at the end of it.

I'd vote for using the hammer and chisel on the lip of the bottom end if you can get to that lip. Just angle the chisel so that you are turning the filter counter clockwise and tap it with a hammer.
    No frigging cutting torch, that would give you a great chance of burning the car to the ground, why do guys throw crap like that out to people on here.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

Lisle 60200 strap filter wrench has worked for me.

12. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

don't recommend the torch, I don.t like fires....

13. Sorry for the long responce I have been super busy with school closing up. I got it off with a Fram filter tool I got and I just kept going slowly and eventually it came off. Thanks guys!

14. Thanks for letting us know how it worked out. All too often folks come on here, ask a question, get a ton of great advice, and then never come back to let us know how it wound up.

15. I was a week late because of school:D But I'll always come back.:cool:

16. ....Thanks.:)

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Glad you got it off, i just went through the same ordeal on the 350 Chevy in my Lincoln. It was a Fleetguard filter, not a junk filter. I use a strap wrench that has a nylon strap attached to a long aluminum square tube, I think it's actually made to remove large truck fuel filters, the more you turn, the tighter it grips. This was the first filter I've used it on that it wouldn't take off, it actually crushed the can and ripped it off of the base. I then spent a hour or more with an assortment of chisels, screwdrivers, even my tie rod pickle fork before I managed to get it off by hammering in the base holes. No telling how many years it had been on there, or what double jointed ape tightened it down that tight.