Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

That's Steve Costa the hot rod guru from Bachuus Marsh that Tone is referring too....are you on the HAMB Steve ? can you add more to this?

Tone keep more info on this grouse coupe coming, post some pictures ..hey get Cool33 to show you how, you would have a heap of them..

Whodak you will need to explain to our northern hot rod brothers what "grouse" means and no it is not a game bird you hunt with dog at foot similar to a pheasant !! It's an Aussie word from the Australian dictionary

2. Thanks Tone & Tommy for your info about this coupe, it certainly has created some interest. Who knows what the future holds? Regardless what happens it is great just to be talking about hot rods that have a great history and inspire us all. It certainly has that low lids touch and stance to it.... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396342648.221555.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

'87 ? nats
    [​IMG]

'09
    [​IMG]

... on a biscuit tin a couple of years ago
    [​IMG]

4. Cool pics yblock...

Garyd.

5. Hey Geoff Whodaky what info and pics do you have to add to this little discussion started here about this 33 coupe?

6. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

Hey Tony/Geoff,any more work on The last gasp special??

7. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Geoff, I have been watching this build from the beginning, & you & Tony have inspired me to build my own 3 window. Unfortunately 3 windows don't grow trees around these parts, so I have to go glass .I am using as many orig parts as I can hood, grill, firewall, door hinges, dash & so on. I am going to slice a little more of the top also. I will be running a 303 rocket with 3 on the tree. Here is where I am at. Thanks Charlie.

Attached Files:

8. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hi. I haven't felt much like posting in a while. Been busy at work and getting home worn out. So I have just been looking in here.
    Jeff you are right, it is amazing what is around in peoples sheds/garages. It's the same all over the world.
    Garyd. It's a neat coupe and well proven I guess. But my advice is to find that family hot rod. You and the ladies in your life won't regret it.
    Jeff I haven't been down to Port Fairy again, so there has been no progress on our 3W.
    What I have been doing this last couple of weekends is reorganising my garage in preparation for a 2 post hoist. Something I have been going to get for a while.
    To situate the hoist I needed to shuffle the cars in here. I also want to have the tudor located differently above the roadster, which meant altering the frame on which the tudor is mounted.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hello Charlie. It's been a long long time. I guess I am not as active these days and do nowhere near the miles in my old worn out coupe that I once did. So consequently our pathes never cross.
    I am glad that Tony's and my build has been of inspiration to you. Yup a build like this can use up so many parts that I think many of us have stashed away, that we have just gathered over the years.
    We were lucky to get our body. But I am sure your 3w window will be way cool. Anyhow once again it is good to see you and please say hi to Chad and all the family from me.
    Here are a few shots taken just now in the garage. Tony was just on the phone and I discribed the new arrangment of vehicles etc here. So I said I would post images for him.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Always handy to have a hoist. You'll make a bunch of new "friends" because of it too lol. I'm lucky, being able to use the hoist at work after hours and on Saturdays but I do plan on putting one in when I either extended my shed or buy another house that has a bigger shed (we'll see which happens). I like the idea of re-arranging the shed too, mine gets changed around once every 12 months just before the ballarat swap meet. I usually pull almost every thing out and make 3 piles. A keep pile, a sell pile and a scrap pile. It's amazing how much junk you can accumulate in just one year (especially in my tiny shed)

sent via classroom note. pass it on

11. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey Mitch.
    The hoist will allow me more storage space. The rearrangement in the garage will allow the necessary room for the hoist. The bonus is that it has worked out that my roadster is now more accessible and will make it easier for me to move into an area to work on it, if I so desire.
    I ordered the hoist today, but it will be at least 2 weeks before it arrives. Once it is here and up I will get up into my loft and have a good cleanout up there.
    Anyhow during my recent sort out of the garage I unearthed a piece of striping I did many many years a go. One of those multi-colored designs.
    I think you will like it Mitch.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

PS Tony this first image of the 3W, I have played with the roof. I altered all in the front, just how I described when we were looking at it in person. It is only a very minor difference but it has taken away that funny shape the roof had in it.
    The second image is how it is at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  12. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

Hey Geoff,The late Bill Mussets 32 3 window has one of the best chops I have seen,Its also a tuff car,but thats only my opinion,Jeff

13. very cool striping Geoff! certainly a lot more "usual" than your other work (and that is by no means an insult, I love all of your styles). the coupe looks good too that minor adjustment to the front changes the whole roofline (though I still think it needs a little more crown in the centre)

14. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hi Jeff, I will need to go looking for some images of Billy's 3W.
    Mitch, you are right a bit more crown would help on my 3W. I just want the roof looking that bit better than it does now, by doing the minimum cutting and welding. Most people would say it looks fine the way it is. But to me it just needs a little tweak!
    Here's some more lines I had forgotten about. I bought myself a new printer today. On uncovering the old one I found this!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

15. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

Hey Geoff,

Here are a couple of pics of Bill's car from a couple of weeks ago at the Castlemaine Rod Run.

...Jeff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Bills wife Michelle still drives it about.

17. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

Geoff, I am learning how to post pictures .

Attached Files:

18. Wardog

Wardog

Don't stop now you've started.

19. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Good one Tony.
    Now all I need is for you to come down here and figure out my new scanner/copier. Sometimes these computer thingies drive me nuts.
    Thanks for the images Jeff. What a coupe that is.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Geoff aka whodaky

At last the rain has stopped here, although I believe there is more on the way.
    Today I am planning on working on some model stuff, so will post images later.
    But here is a couple of old black and whites, which could have been taken around '59

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Kialla Kid

Kialla Kid
    from Kialla

Gidday Geoff
    Good to see a couple of more pieces, I have been working in NQ last week &the first piece makes me think about the eye of the tiger (storm) immediately, love it my friend. Seems like a cool pic on the wall inside the garage at Tony's place ha ha!!!
    Take it Easy
    Regards
    Garry

22. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey Gary.
    I wondered what you were talking about, re the cool pic. Then I looked at the post above of mine with the color shot in Tony's garage. Yeah cool.
    Many people see different stuff in my 'whodakys'. But I think seeing a cyclone in one is a first.
    So onto the stuff I said I would post earlier.
    Years ago we built an EH for my sister. I have been going to build a model of it for a while now. Well today I started on it. It will be a surprize Easter gift for her.
    I bought a 1/18th EH diecast last week on Ebay. Fortunately it is the same color my sister's EH was. So that makes life way easier and quicker.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

23. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

For wheels, the EH had chrome rims with Holden HR caps.
    Fortuneately I found some HR premier wheels on ebay, that I will be able to get the hupcaps from.

[​IMG]

I was originally going to use the chrome rims from the '58 Impala in the background. But because I would need to alter them a fair bit to get the look I wanted I took a different approach.
    I went through my collection of wheels and came up with something else that could be modified to work.
    The shot below shows a hubcap cut out of the HR premier wheel.

[​IMG]

The wheels I used were some Mopar rally type mags. Once parts of their centres were cut out and the HR hubcaps were fitted, they ended up looking exactly as I hoped they would.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  24. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

When we built the EH we fitted it with a sbc. So I had to go through my engine stash and come up with a suitable powerplant. I had bought this particular engine on ebay a few years ago, for this very project.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

With the main bits for this model collected and waiting on the bench, it was time for disassembling the model.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  26. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Then over the course of the next few hours I made everything fit together.
    The images below have the model only mocked together. There is still a fair bit to do the complete the model, but the hard stuff has been done.
    I am really pleased how it is shaping up. Although I think I will try some different tyres on the front!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

When I was messing with the model and had parts spread all over the bench. I decided to try something.
    The HR premier wheels with the whitewall tyres on the EH. It made for a really neat look. Maybe that will need to be another model build somewhere down the track.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

28. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

Gary, How are you going mate? . Glad you saw the poster of the 34 coupe on the wall, man I look at it nearly everyday, and thanks for looking after Jake 34 it still one of my favourite hot rods. My back is still giving me hell with pain, and reading your thread and seeing the poster of the 34 made me feel a bit better. Geoff it looks like you had a good day today with the models , man I love that E.H and Marg will like it also. Today I started making the extractor on the drivers side and when the welding is done I will start the other side, cant wait to finish the chassis for the 36 three window.

29. Now that is an engine and wheel stash! The EH is looking good. Great work as allways Geoff.