Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My roadster pickup project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks guys. I think when I get the rest of the stuff on it and the wheels and tires it will pull it all together a little more. Plus, it will look better when it drops down to it's normal ride height. But I am liking it so far. :)

Don

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Last week I took my rear end housing and all the other rear suspension parts to the powder coater to have them done in the same off white as the front end. Tonight I wrapped up the front brakes, so , for the most part, the front end is now completed. Just a few things like the stabilizer to install and that will be it.

[​IMG]

Then I installed the new front tires and wheels and dropped it down on the ground. I'm liking it better all the time. :) I should have my parts back from coating this week (hopefully) and then I can get the thing up on all fours.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. Looks great Don!

4. TV

TV

Don, this is a great looking roadster with great workman ship super job.--TV

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks, guys. Gotta admit I am starting to get a little excited to get this one done. Should be a good driver with the Olds and highway gears, and that is my goal, to use this one for longer trips and to keep my 27, with it's deep gears, for around town blasts.

Don

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I just love to see old people having fun :cool:

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I can't wait until we invade England ! :p

Don

8. Great build you've got here Don!!
    Not sure how I've not seen it till today but wow!

9. Heck Don, you going over to the land where they speak funny, eat soggy pea's, drink warm beer and it rains all the time ? You just may come home a complete nutter like Frank Spencer of " Some Mothers do Hav'em " .
    The car is looking good too by the way....

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I agree, good to see the project going again.

You know that over on the other side of the puddle that they actually speak english ? :D You would never know it to listen to some of them. :)

And the warm beer ? They will tell you that they like it, the truth of the matter is that they keep buying Lucas refrigerators. :)

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks guys for hanging in with me over this build.......I took a little break but it feels good to be back on it again.

I called the powder coat guy today because he said my rear end parts would be done and now he is saying Friday. I really like him, but he has never hit a target date yet, so I wasn't surprised.

But I can start prepping my engine for paint. I painted it about 7 years ago and it has gotten a little shop worn, plus I want to pull the pan and see if any dirt has gotten inside. I rebuilt it back then, and oiled it before I stored it, so it should be ok, but I just want to make sure it is still clean inside. Every so often I would turn the crank and put more oil down the cylinders, so that should have helped.

Don

12. the white is wicked

13. A lil? :) Sure looks purdy from my end! I wanna see,but i'm sure YOU DO TOO!

14. Roadsir

Roadsir

The white looks really good, keep the updates coming.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks guys. Today my rear end pieces were finally done at the powder coater but I had to work, so my Son picked them up for me. I dropped off 9 pieces and when he got there they could only find 8 pieces ! :eek: They dug around and finally found the 9th piece, one of the rear rod ends, and will have that done for me to pick up tomorrow morning before I go to work.

It all came out pretty nice, I am happy with it all, and I am glad I didn't decide to paint the frame and suspension because I would still be doing it. Here are the pieces I got back:

[​IMG]

The other night I cleaned up the Olds engine that I had painted maybe 7 years ago and it actually looks pretty good, but I am going to scuff and paint it one more time because the rest of the car looks so fresh that it would be a shame to not do the motor and trans one more time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I can start to assemble the rear end and get this thing up on wheels. :)

Don

16. hasty

hasty

Looking good - enjoying the build

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Very nice :) I'll be watching.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks guys. :) I picked up the last piece at the powder coater this morning so now I can start assembling the rear end.

I still have to get new bearings pressed on the axles and I have to decide what I am going to do about my center section. It has a couple of chipped teeth and I can either order a new gear set and seals and rebuild it, or maybe find a decent used unit somewhere close by. I am leaning toward putting new gears in mine because I can then get exactly the ratio I want (probably 3.55's )

The funny part is, you can find lots of 9 inchers but 8 inch rears are not as plentiful, at least down here.

Don

19. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

Don I'm so glad to see you back on this car. The black and white look great. Now I have a thread to look forward to every day.
    Gregg

20. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks, Gregg. It feels good to be finally getting some things done on it too. :)

Tonight I loosely installed the rear end assembly. I still have to pick up some 9/16 grade 8 bolts to finish it off ( I ran out) and I dialed in the pinion angle "somewhat close" to 3 degrees, but will adjust that more closely when all the weight is on the car.

It should settle down about 3 -4 inches when the Olds engine, transmission, body, and bed are sitting on the frame, then the rear control arms will be level to the ground. With the coil overs I can adjust the height to get the exact rake I want.

So, here are some pictures from tonight.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Beautiful work. Way to go.

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks. Voodoo. I realize this part of the build isn't exactly HAMB friendly, but most of it will be hidden by the bed. I'm anxious to see how this setup rides.

Don

23. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Good to see you moving forward Don. Greta color contrast too. Your work is always top notch & this is nothing short of your "regular" program.

I'll keep watching ...

Paul

(Yes - I took on another motorcycle project to finish - '97 Road King Police)

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Hey Paul, thanks. :) What, didn't you have enough projects already ? :D

Don

25. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

My finished patina super stock '64 Fairlane is now in the new caretakers hands in W. Va. The second one ... I hope to finish up within the next qrtr. & the bike just needed a little updating. It was a service duty bike from my town & I just couldn't pass it up. It may stay ... or not if the price is right.

I have been eyeballing a (local) 1956 IHC pick up. Great patina - my weakness!!!

Paul

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  26. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Don, I missed the part on the Olds Motor what Cu in is it? I have 2 330 high compression motors 64 and a 65 I'd like to install one of them in something.
    Love the build!

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Paul, you NEED that IHC. :D

Thanks. Mine is a 64 394 out of a 98. I bought the complete car about 25 years ago and stripped it down for the motor. About 7 years ago I had it machined, put in a new cam and all new parts, and it has been sitting, waiting for some project. After I fire it up I may find I need to go through it again from just sitting, but I am going to see how it runs first before I do anything.

Don

28. Damn!! I want one!

29. CaliDreamin'

CaliDreamin'

I really dig the idea on the body. This has got me thinking about doing my RPU like this, damn roadster cowls are hard to find and expensive. A guy locally to me has a closed car cowl and doors I should go look at. Did I miss what window frame, cowl posts you used over the 27 pages?

30. Been a while since I checked out this thread,man,this thing is eat up with creativity,this roadster pickup is gonna be a knockout! HRP