Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stuck Oil Filter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mitchell de Moor, Apr 7, 2014.

1. So my car has been sitting this whole winter and last time I changed the oil was maybe two months before that. I have changed the oil a million times on this car with no problems. Now, however, I cannot seem to get the oil filter off at all it is completely jammed.

Specs:

-1956 Ford Customline
    -272 Y-Block V8
    -Spin-On Oil Filter Conversion from T-Bird Products
    -K&N Oil Filter

What I am thinking is maybe I stripped the oil filter when putting it on? Also this is the first oil change I have ever done on the car using a K&N I used to always use Motorcraft FL1As on the car. Maybe that could have something to do with it?

I have tried two different oil filter wrenches and have broken both of them. Also tried hammering screw drivers in the the side to spin it off with the screw driver handle.

I recently blew the motor in my daily driver and need a car to get to school which is why I want to get the Ford up and running. It takes too much time away from my school work to take the bus and that means I can't stay in the studio as late as I would like to. Trying to make school my main priority in life which is why I wasn't going to take the Ford out until the end of this sememster but now that I've blown up my daily I kind of need it.

Any tips will help. And yes I am spinning it the right way off:eek:

2. George

George

You've tried my methods already.....

3. JD Miller

JD Miller

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Didn't the K@N filter have a nut on the end of the can?

5. Progressing up to the air chisel.

6. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Can you get a chisel on the edge of the seam, and tap it around?

It seems like if the filter won't spin off, the pipe nipple should just spin out of the aluminum adaptor plate.

(Edit: Beat me by THAT much!)

7. Did you oil the seal when you put it on ?

8. Big ole pair of channel locks have never let me down.

9. 73RR

73RR

"stripped the filter"...?
    If you somehow stripped the threads then the filter would just spin loosely so it would seem that you got overly aggressive with the hand tight ¼ turn past seating ritual.

If you have room to get the (pictured) chain wrench on the filter then be sure you are up on the crimp where you actually something to grab.

10. keyster

keyster

Sometimes they will come loose slowly.
    Pull and hold as opposed to a quick pull or jerking on the wrench.

11. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

If you tried to take it off with the engine cold it will do that.

12. Where can I get one of these?

13. Yes I dipped my finger in oil and lightly rubbed the rubber ring on the filter.

14. Yeah it was cold. Now that I have put holes in it though I can't start it. I had no idea about not taking it off cold.

15. Thanks I keep lubricating it and trying. Hopefully it will eventually spin off. I am starting to get pretty pissed off about the whole situation though lol.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Worked for me! Destroy that son of a bitch until there is nothing left to stick.

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'm not sure if it still out there, but my ultimate backup is a KD tool that is simply a pair of stout pins coming up from a flange for square drive. Once you give up and hack, snip, and bludgeon the canister away, the prongs will engage the holes around the center of the filter base where it screws onto the engine. This allows rotation by your unstoppable force grade breaker bar. The same holes can generally be used to rotate the base plate with chisel/punch and big hammer, but the KD tool will reach filters that block access for serious violence and also is easier than hammer and punch...
    The problem of course is caused by excess force in installation. The recommended turn always seems waaay too loose...but it should be religiously applied.

18. badshifter

badshifter

Heat it up with a blow dryer or a propane torch. It'll come off with a big pair of channel locks.

19. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just went through this exact same thing on and off topic car. Not enough room for the chain vise grip tool. The dipshit that last changed the oil must have used air tools to put the drain plug and filter back on. I did the same as you have so far. I solved the filter situation by punching a hole in the end of the filter to let it drain once drained I clamped a pair of vice grips onto the body of the filter by going up through the hole I created. I then clamped another vise grip onto the handle of the first one and that gave me enough leverage to get it to spin loose. Actually heard it snap when it finally popped loose!

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Used to happen all the time when I worked in a garage. None ever survived the screwdriver treatment. Maybe you need to use a bigger screwdriver or pry bar that will offer more leverage.

21. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Years ago I had one hang up once so bad it stayed stuck after I tore the can off using a big screwdriver as a last resort after trying regular wrench and channel locks. Wound up making a home made tool similar to what Bruce described - piece of flat stock with 2 holes and bolts as pins going through to catch the filter base holes and a "T" handle coming off the center of the flat stock. Worked good for me and still have it kicking around some place for cheap insurance, figure I throw it out and I'll be sure to need it again within a couple of weeks

Ed

22. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I've had 'em gall the threads and I just ripped the can off like a sardine can top with pliers, then wacked the base with a hammer & chisel to loosen it. I've done that more than once over the years.

23. This has never let me down.

Attached Files:

24. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Buy a quality wrench they always work well with steady even pressure-do not use the ones available at Pep Boys.

25. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Torch it off!

26. 53 sparky

53 sparky

I'd try to heat it too, but I wouldn't recommend the propane torch. You could use a heat gun - the kind you use for heat shrink. I bet the blow dryer would work too, just take longer.

27. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another vote for the big ChannelLocks. I've tried those chain things and, unless you can get to the very top of the filter where it's crimped, all it does is collapses the side of the filter.

28. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I had one when I worked at the gas station that we ended up tearing the can completely off. We had to use an air chisel on the base to get it off. I bet I spent an hour removing that filter, and the car was on a hoist where it was at a height I could really put some muscle to it.
    I would go for using the holes in the base over a chisel. Less chance of messing up something important. Gene

29. stimpy

stimpy

I had one stick on a 250 chevy . wound up cutting the can off and then using the holes in the filter base as a point to put the chisel on to spin it off , wound up having to replace the adapter as the person who put it on ( ex wife took it to dippylube as a favor for me , some favor .. ) screwed it on over a burr in the cheap filter they used and galled it to the threads .

30. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397041008.981221.jpg best tool ive ever used for getting off oil filters. More than likely u just over tightened the filter. With time ull get better with all the little tricks. I remember being in a similar situation when i was first learning to fix cars. Tried every trick couldnt get them to work. Then the old guy whos done it 5 million times did it in seconds

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!