Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage PDX Swap Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelamotorhead, Apr 8, 2014.

1. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Went to the Portland Swap Meet last weekend. Don't know if it's just me, but it seems it sure ain't what it used to be. Or maybe this is just an off year. Lots of empty booths. As Milner said, "The pickin's are sure gettin' slim around here"...........

2. I haven't been going forever like my dad & his friends but the numbers seemed about normal to me. As for early ford parts & other good stuff, I felt the same way. Seems like allot of late model stuff & Yard sale things. I think maybe people are just starting to save the good stuff. I know I am.

3. The Bald One

The Bald One

It was different this year for sure, nobody was really selling anything and nobody was really buying. Saw a few cars that went for way to much and a few that should have sold but didn't. My opinion is these TV shows are good and bad for the hobby, they introduce people to the hobby but then make people think their stuff is priceless or worthless.

4. dannyreckless

dannyreckless
    from PNW

This!
    I only made it to the Expo, But I did see a whole lot of this going on.

5. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Rain was forecasted for weeks in advance, even up to the day of and yet it wasn't bad Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. It poured Saturday and drove off a ton of people that might have driven over, but saw rain and didn't come. When you can buy just about anything on the internet now, it's tough for some to walk around and haggle in the rain. We used the Expo Center as a " get out of the rain" and when the clouds broke through out the day, walked the track.

6. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I agree with all above. This it the first time I've made it in a few years, but it sure seemed light on everything except overpriced cars, and late model stuff. I did manage to find a few token deals, but nothing I'd call astounding. I hope its not a sign of what's to come, I'd hate to think of a world without the PDX swap and others like it.

7. This was my first time going to this and I had a great time. I left the event with a lot of money in my pocket and that was kind of surprising. I was there to spend money rain or shine. I noticed a lot of empty stalls and wondered if that was normal. I did manage to find an excellent Model A frame but I was surprised how little Model A stuff there was. But for me this was still worth the 11hr drive.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

I really can not complain at all. We had the best year ever at the swap meet and it was great to meet so many HAMB members in person.

9. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

I've been vending for 20 years (not at Portland but in the east). look at it from a vendors standpoint:
    1) Expenses to get there and vend have gone up sharply in the past 5 years.
    2) Many buyers are getting the "American Pickers" mentality...if you need it, want it, and it's a "believable price" Buy it....the good stuff is getting harder to find and many vendors are now selling to a global market on the internet, who will pay a equitable cost. If it's too much money make an offer....but if it's $100 don't offer $25.
    3) If the weather goes bad chances are that vendor is going to lose his ass on making any money and may end up ruining what he has depending on what he sells.
    I still work a full time job, I don't have to make a big profit vending I do it because I enjoy going and talking to people....but have cut down from 35 events in 2010 to 21 events in 2013...if it isn't paying the cost to go guess what, I can't justify going

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  10. dubcee

dubcee

I never made it up to the PDX, I was selling at the track. Most of my goods were gone by Thursday evening.I didnt get around too much due to a broken leg, but i do know as soon as it starts even sprinkling, heads go down , hands in pockets,and they beet feet for the car, or cover! I cant wait for another sunny year!

11. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

We actually sold a lot this year. Sold a Tripower, 2 Ford Alum intake manifolds etc. Sold the '59 Rambler. There were empty stalls, for various reasons. (Illness,problems,weather) I did hear that a lot of the guys vending don't bother bringing out the good stuff because they get better money for it on Ebay. So they bring the leftovers they think might sell before it goes to the scrap bin. It's a shame, because the Portland Swap Meet was where everybody saved up their good stuff to take out and show/sell.

Also, that damned Circus cuts down on the spaces available. I hate Cirque de Solel for that.