Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Heim Joint/Hair Pin question!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nickk, Apr 8, 2014.

1. nickk

nickk

So here's my situation. I have a set of hair pins my uncle had made back in the last 60's for his hot rod but never did so recently he gave them to me. He had already drilled and tapped the bat wing ends for 1/2 20 heims or whatever he planned to use. I got to looking around notice most people use 5/8th for a good reason. I was more or less just curious with if 1/2 would be strong enough. Their rated for over 7,000 lbs. each which seems like a lot, kind of. Its going to be in a open wheeled car with a Y block. Comments and opinions would be appreciated, especially if you have known experience.

2. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

Look on left hander chassis it is a race car parts catalog, you can get graded heim joints up to 10,000 lbs in 1/2"

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I've been running 1/2" clevis's on the batwing end & a single 1/2" heim on the frame end on my T for 35K miles & 11 years , no problems , car weighs about 1800# empty... all the T kits that total performance sold were this configuration.
    dave