Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 8" rear setup question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poboyross, Apr 8, 2014.

1. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

So I've had this rear end I got from a HAMBer for about 3 years now, and I'm just getting around to doing a systems check on it as I do the brake system. I pop off the drums and something looks amiss to me, parts missing I'm thinking! Both sides are set up the same way, and look like they are missing a bar between the shoes above the axle but below the wheel cylinder, also looks like it's missing hardware related to the Ebrake and perhaps the wrong spring (blue one). All the pics I look at seem to indicate this. I won't be running Ebrakes to these, rather I'll be using a pinion mounted EBrake. Thoughts?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396983288.641467.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396983298.179982.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 34dlxcoupe

34dlxcoupe
    from Lincoln

Yep,, it is pretty messed up. The bar is missing as you say, also I think the upper spring retainer bar, and something is not right with the way the bottom spring.. also,, do you have the parking brake lever attached to the rear shoe?

3. greazy john

greazy john

Bottom spring long part should touch adjuster ,maybe on wrong side also missing bar between shoes like you thought,hopes this helps...

4. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic:

[​IMG]

Small bearing 8" Ford rear w/ parking brake and self adjuster

5. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

6. If you are not setting up the E-brakes on these you don't need either the bar or lever that attaches to the rear shoe.

7. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Ok, that would be a big help on the pocket book...but how would I connect the lower spring differently? I see what they tried to do in lieu of having the EBrake rig there.....but is it viable? What parts *do* I need since I won't be using the EBrake?

8. Hardware kits:
    Dorman H7102
    Self adjuster repair kits:
    HW2514
    HW2515
    Don't have spreader bar or lever numbers...

Posted with an IBM Selectric

9. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Here is a brake pic.
    [​IMG]

10. Oops- HW7102 supercedes to HW7045

Posted with an IBM Selectric

11. Rich is correct, the bar and the swinging link piece are only for the parking brake to work. The bottom stamped link piece the spring connects to is needed for the auto adjustment feature to work. You can get by without that if you do manual adjustment every so often.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You should build your hotrod with an emergency brake. IMHO I never use it but it is there for emergencies.:D

13. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I just went ahead and ordered a rebuild kit for the EBrake that comes with that lever, new springs, adjuster screw, etc....the lever was $3 by itself, kit was $9. I already have to adjust my 40 Ford fronts...not having to adjust the rears since they were made self-adjusting is in my own self-interest! lol.

Earlier in the post I mentioned that I won't be using the stock EBrake because I'm going to install a pinion mounted one.....that being said, after installing the kit I'm already getting, I can change my mind and go back to the original drum-mounted type if need be.

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

It looks like you are also missing the shoe guide anchor pin plate.

15. I don't know what kit you ordered; but as far as I know no one sells the E-brake lever as a replacement part. Only been able to source them as used parts. "HELP" has the cross bar tho. The OEM levers seem to come in two versions; Wagner or K-H (Kelsey-Hayes), other than shape they function the same. Here's a picture of them , the Wagner arm is far right. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396993004.976044.jpg

16. "HELP" crossbar. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396993339.610740.jpg

17. Maybe you should reconsider the pinion mounted giz as an E-brake, while that little caliper will work as a parking brake; it won't have much stopping power as an E-brake. I think if you read the "fine" print they are advertised as "parking brakes". Bet it costs you more overall than just using the OEM arms and cables too.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have to agree, you should re-think the pinion brake, it is NOT an effective emergency brake.

Get the proper parts and use the OEM emergency brake system with some cables from someone like Lokar, you will be much happier and have an effective parking brake and emergency brake system.