Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Things I learned/gleaned/fathomed attending LSRU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CaddyRat, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I'm there every year. I guarantee I am the most critical person out of all of you when it comes to cars. This is the most fun I have ALL year. There are always dozens of new REALLY nice cars I've never seen in person and tons more I see all the time. But the cars are about 10% of it.

We have a BLAST during and after the show. For four days starting around Thurs you get to sleep in, roll out and meet with friends, party, have a hell of a show, go cruise around Austin (NOT CONGRESS), Party some more, then have fun in the wee hours of the morning. If you come to sit by your car and be all anti-social and bitch about S10s and complain about beer prices and go back to your hotel at 9pm then it's not for you. If you want to forget where your Hot Rod is, Find it, rush to some bar you've never been to to meet up with a group of dudes you hardly know while racing a buddy only to get lost again and say screw it I'm going to Maudie's, then maybe this can be for you. You shouldn't get more than 6hours of sleep the whole weekend.

The swap meet is getting way better. I SCORED some stuff and I'm cheap.

The bands Killed it. Jimmy Vaughn played for like an hour or more.

Shit my car wasn't even done and I STILL had a blast. If you're not having fun at these things then what the hell is the point?

We finally went out on Congress at 12:30 AM Saturday Night and yelled shit at the Rat Rods and Muscle cars driving by. Dumb stupid stuff and it was funny as hell. I wish this was more than once a year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to pirate these photos. I only took 5 photos the whole weekend. I was too busy having fun.

2. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just "wunnerin", do you guys in Minnesota use tire chains when you find a place to cruise ?.......Just kidding.

3. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Dreddybear, I met you over by the M F tent. I had a list of names of HAMBers, and you introduced me to a couple. I totally agree with you about the show. We go for the fun we can create, which is always mucho, and fuck all the other shit like late model whatevers. Best time so far, but it ain't over till the fat lady sings, and she never will. Looking forward to next year. Wish we could talk Ryan and Steve W. into two a year, or another REVOLUTION in several months. See you in April '15.

4. Muttley

Muttley

HAHAHA **deep breath** HAHAHA^^^

5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Ryan, great show, as usual. Each year is more fun. I think Dreddybear wants to ask you about expanding the current schedule, something like that. Again, so glad we didn't miss it.

6. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

As predicted, here come the 80 guys with the swords and shields I was talking about.

But really, #2 that superjunkman posted pretty much hits the nail on the head for me. If a show "advertises itself" as a hot rod show and clearly lists in their rules that it is 1963 and older, traditionally styled, etc. then I immediately put it on my list to go. When I go to that show, I expect to only see what is welcomed on that rule sheet. Seeing 69 Camaros and S-10s and 1972 Chevy C-10s with 24's, and 1940's truck cabs poorly turned into rat rods was not what I expected or wanted to see.

If the show gets advertised as a 1972 and older "car show" that allows rat rods, muscle cars, non-traditional styled builds (huge wheels and shit), etc., then it would be up to me to decide if I support that show or not. If that S-10 showed up again, I would still rightfully complain about it being there. By the way I looked at the Roundup window sticker in that S-10 and it was listed as a 1962 Chevy, WTF.

The same thing happened to me this year at a small show in Lockhart. It was "advertised" as a pre-65 hot rod show but when we showed up there were new mustangs, donks, lifted trucks, etc. Some people we traveled with refused to pay to enter their hot rods, some just went home, some parked in spectator parking and walked in for free to see the music. I doubt many from that group will support that show again unless some positive changes are made.

7. 46stude

46stude

Funny - all I said was that the gate isn't being taken care of like it should be.

Nowhere did I say my weekend was ruined by the OT cars. I laughed my ass off at the S10. Walked right up to the Camaro w/ the group in chairs behind it & asked my wife "I wonder how this pile of crap got in here?". Got some ugly looks, chuckled & walked off.

I got up there Thurs evening, got up 1st thing Fri & did the Garage Crawl. Went out to the show, hit the swap meet, looked at cars, listened to music, looked at cars, checked out the vendors, looked at cars, hit the swap meet, looked at cars. Loaded up, headed out to Congress, almost boiled over . Parked & walked Congress once & said "screw this" & headed out to Top Notch. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better place for the hot rod guys.

Next day we hit the show again, second verse same as the first. Went to the Meet & Greet, won the tether car, met some good folks. Went to the JJ tent & bought my HAMB Alliance membership, talked to Ryan for a second. Made rounds thru the show again. Loaded up & went to Top Notch again.

So if you think because I made a joke about the beer prices & think theres something wrong with the couple OT cars I called out, that I did not have one of the best weekends ever, you are sadly mistaken. It was a blast. I have been to most of the LSRUs over the years & have no plans to ever miss any in the future. The Kontinentals put on a GREAT show & I am grateful for the chance to go up there every year & have fun.

So yeah, put the keyboard away & make the trip. You won't be disappointed. This is just the interweb- because you read something into what someone posts don't mean you know where they're coming from.

8. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

For the record Jeff I drove a very on topic 29 Ford Roadster. I was slightly annoyed with all the same cars you mentioned. I can remember how much fun the Lowrider Park shows were, but like someone else said, you can never go home. People hate being bullshitted, just segregate the cars and that will satisfy both the we want as many people as possible to pay us $50 and the good folks shelling out the money. I also have a great time at Goodguys. I've had a great time at both Revolutions but myself and Peewee were parked by ourselves in front of the Continental Club. Nobody cruised. So you take the good and take the bad.

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

This show is on my bucket list. As for the cars that don't fit in, that always happens. At Turkey Run there are a bunch of cars that we don't have any interest in, so we just walk by and then focus on ones we do like.......no harm, no foul.

Don

10. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

I think there's a time and place for everything under the sun. I worked really freaking hard to get my pre 63 car roadworthy enough to get there and enjoy the show. It was a bucket list thing of mine. Work hard, save your pennies and do the work yourself. I felt it was a privilege to finally drive through those gates instead of walking and carrying all my crap. I just feel that when guys shortcut the system by driving a blatantly post 63 vehicle or one that's CLEARLY meant for another show- that they should go there. It's tough to have a pre 63 traditional car in that show. As one post said earlier, it's not that difficult to separate the chaff from the wheat...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

My daughter and her boyfriend went down to Congress and sent me a bunch of photos. The video they sent me was a row of Camaros with a late model Mazda through in backed up to the curb too.
    I've been to LSRU twice in the last 4 years and enjoyed it immensely. Always hoping for the time I'll drive my own appropriate ride through that gate.
    As with all car events that quickly expand the wannabes come out in droves. They think their "old" cars are just as interesting as the ones invited to the party and probably are first in line to back into the curb when the barricades go up.
    You can't control the city streets but you sure can control the fairgrounds. I have great appreciation for businessmen ($50 a car and $$per person) but having a pre-63 party and allowing Camaros and S10s, and late model trucks and such into the grounds is betraying the crowd who DO know how to read and comprehend the invitation and DO drive the old stuff.
    As for the RR crowd, well, they are what they are.

12. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

Hahahaha!!

13. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I remember a few years ago the Ford Falcon club roped off the parking lot at the meat processing place. They had the build plaques, matching water, oil, gas cans, and the works.

I'd like to see the Revolution go weekend long. Cruising and the like. I'll still patronize the LSRU but I don't now nor have I ever cared about the lifestyle stuff. I just like to get in my old car and go visit my friends. I don't think the OT car problem will be addressed. At $50 a car if I owned this show I wouldn't address it either.

14. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

The show was good, the swap meet was good, the bands were good... had a great time!!!

What wears me out is all the fat broads wandering around wearing "pin up" clothes that have to lean on or touch all the cars that they decide they want their pictures taken with. WTF???

After watching one of them plant her fat ass against the hood of an Edsel wagon and lean back then put both hands (with rings on both hands) palms down on it for a picture...

I asked her if that was her car. She replied "oh no" then giggled like it was a joke. I couldnt resist... "Well then maybe you shouldnt have yer ass all over someone elses car!"

She looked at me like I was crazy, but the owner sitting behind the car thanked me... loud enough for everyone to hear.

Where do these knuckleheads come from????? UGH!!!!

Alright, back to yer regularly scheduled program.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There's nothing to address, since a complaint was probably never issued. Maybe show organizers ( not just this show) will see this thread. If they do, they won't do anything. At $50 a car, a few OT cars aren't making or breaking the bank. Some shows are strict, but they don't take up a whole city and LSR DOES take up the city of Austin for a weekend. No one can control what gets driven and parked in town. So, people have to be tolerant, STFU and have fun. If you came for an ego trip and to power park, then you're just as out of place as the OT cars. This goes for all BIG shows. I'll make LSR, but I'm in no big hurry. It'll happen, when it happens. I get bored quick, when I'm standing next to my car.

16. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

I don't think I was with my car for more than 10 minutes, to refill my beer levels, all weekend.

17. the wife and I had a good time and even brought the rod this year. The venue was full with people parking in the dirt and over in the trees.. but I believe the show should go to a limited entry format though, maybe that would help with space as well and the potential abuse of the pre '63 rule..

18. McTullis

McTullis

Roundup is what you make it. Choose your attitude. :cool:

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

End of story.

20. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Well put! And it's never the end of the story.

21. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

I saw that more than once. The Skank-a-betties were out in full force this year. Unless you sit by your car and shoo them away all day, they are going to get grease on your paint. Unfortunately there is nothing in the rules against them crawling over the cars.

22. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

That sounds interesting... what do you mean by limited entry format?

23. kiwi1967

kiwi1967

Skank-a-Bettie's! , haha haven't heard that one before, we get them here in Denver too, some big ol ones ..... Orca Bettie's

24. joe fuller

joe fuller

To all the campers at LSRU,when you leave please take your trash with you, free camping should not include someone having to pickup after you. abuse it,you lose it!

25. kiwi1967

kiwi1967

This was my first time to LSRU and all I can say is count me in for next year!...... There was so much to do it was sensory overload but it was worth it... From the meatheads BBQ to the show and downtown Austin it was non stop... We stayed in the campground and will do that again..I could honestly say this is one of the best car shows I've ever been to hands down....everyone was cool and helpful and were there for the cars and a good time , the kontinentals do an amazing job for the size this show is.....really when you look at the small number of OT cars vs the stuff we guys here on the HAMB love it's not enough to worry about.....I saw the same OT cars everyone else did and honestly did what I do when I see them at local shows.....walked on by.....

26. jer11ren

jer11ren

This was our first LSRU trip and we drove 2418 miles round trip in the A. Like many, I was disappointed in the amount of o/t cars, but like has been said, in the big picture it was a small percentage. We were out and about quite a lot and saw tons of cool rides everywhere that were on topic. I went in with high expectations thinking this was a very Hamb oriented event and I had even stressed over them letting us in due to having a vega steering box. In fact, I switched over to bias plies the week before in fear that I might get kicked out! (great move BTW, Love em!) All in all it was a great time and experience. Honestly though there are less r$% rods at Viva Las Vegas these days (none that I recall last year) and that show gets a bad rap on here which I don't understand. I understand some folks don't get into the rockabilly stuff, but it is a great car show with interesting people watching. Being from the west, my wife and I were talking about how strange it is to not see people with lots of tats and billy-folk, its all relative to the area. In summary, we will be back. I wouldn't consider it a must-do every year like the GNRS, but then again its 1100 miles from home for us. I was honestly more disappointed in the amount of trailers I saw in the lot than the handful of o/t cars, but that is a whole other discussion...... Bottom line is, we spent the 5 days in the hot rod having fun, if you can do that yet still let a few things ruin your weekend maybe you need a new hobby.

27. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

I still don't get it, this whole golden ticket thing. "Oh just walk on by", "Ignore them", "a few will slip by". Is the show large, yes. Do we have a good time, yes (although most of it is had outside the grounds). But that still doesn't explain the success. If other businesses followed the same strategy as the Roundup they would fail. To advertise something pure yet deliver something diluted. Confounds me.

In reference to Viva Las Vegas, the reason the rat rods no longer gather at the gates is that some Geniuses started their own show focused on rat rods the same day as the Saturday car show. They allow all rat rods and even the wildest art cars with open arms. They have their own bands and after party. I think it was a wonderful idea. It gave the crappy art cars a place to go and be welcomed and it definitely cleaned up the car show at Viva. It also gave the really skanktankerous, skanktastic, hood-crawling, fender mounting, seat staining, future single mom's in training a place to go strut their stuff. It's called the Rat City Ruckus.

28. Geez, what a bunch of nitpicking whiners :(
    Compare LSRU to the shows you usually attend. Are they as special as it is?(I know, you West coast guys are the exemption--weather and cars, 24-7/365) Where else are you gonna see the stuff that shows up in Austin, all in one place?
    Yeah, some crap slips in---it does everywhere. There are no "pure" shows I know of, except maybe Pebble Beach.
    Just enjoy it, or stay home. Moaning won't help.
    For me, it's a 50/50 split....the cars, AND the people....and nowhere else on the earth do I get to be with the group that congregates there in April, and THAT makes my trip worth every hour, every mile, every dollar it takes.

The horse is dead. Stop beatin' it. To quote McTullis-- Roundup is what you make it. Choose your attitude. :cool:

29. 46stude

46stude

My money's on TudorJeff thinking about making a "pureblood" pre-'64 traditional show somewhere near San Antonio, & he's getting input & ideas....... ;)

30. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

I don't hear anyone whining. The comments were reasonable and valid. And John is right, it is what you make of it. That is not what the question is here. The question is why aren't the simplest of rules followed at the Roundup? The rules written and put in place by the organizers and listed on the web site in plane sight.

Also purity, while admittedly smaller is attainable...

http://www.symcoshakedown.com/

Also a larger show, dam close to pure and getting better each year...

http://vintagetorquefest.com/

These shows write good rules and regulations and stick to them.