Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3 Speed Floor Shift Conversion for 46 Chevy Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bullrunmotor, Feb 27, 2014.

1. bullrunmotor

bullrunmotor
    from East Coast

I'd like to convert my column shift to a 3 speed floor shift in a 46 Chevy Coupe. Cant find a kit on Jegs or Speedway-but someone must still offer a kit. Any leads appreciated.

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No one does. '40-'48 Chevrolet passenger cars had a "selector" style transmission, and while a few companies used to make floor shift conversions for them, no one has in over forty years. Punch "selector shifter" or "selector transmission" into the search engine here and you'll get some pictures of what might work for you.

3. If your,e sticking to the closed drive, how about swapping the box from an earlier (up to 1940 I Think) floor shift box?

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

An update to this problem....last Saturday, I was wandering around at the swap meet at Maple Grove drag strip and saw a '40 Chevy transmission with a '49-'54 side cover adapted to it so that a normal three speed Hurst shifter could be used on it. Other than having to redrill the bolt holes on the cover, it looked like a straight swap.

5. Road Runner

Road Runner

1939-46 truck 3 speeds had a floor shift and will fit.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/4269.htm

Starting in 1942 truck 3 speeds used needle bearings in the counter gear, making them whine in high gear.
    Cars used the older bushing style and are quiet in high gear.

However, either style bearing counter gear and matching shaft can be used in either truck or car 3 speed, during rebuilt/overhaul.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  6. You need to do a little braze or weld build up on the side of the case to use the later side cover on a 46 tranny or fluid will leak out. Once you start comparing side covers you'll see the difference.

7. 48bill

48bill

The use of a 39 or earlier tranny isn't a bolt up. In 1940 they shifted the bolt pattern on the bell housing 90 degrees to use the same tranny box but moved the top cover, pre 40, to the side, 40 and later. Ask me how I know.

8. ^^^^^How do you know?^^^^^