Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question about Chevy Coupe's

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by drtybiker, Apr 7, 2014.

1. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

My question is this why do some of the 1949 to 54 2 door chevy coupes look to have a very long trunk ? are there different body styles ? or does it look that way after a chop? what gives?? This has baffled me for a long time and i like that loooooong look of the trunk area on a chevy coupe?????

2. squirrel

squirrel

are you confusing a 2 door sedan and a coupe? The sedan has a longer roof

3. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

maybe can you tell me about the differences

4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am no chevy expert but isn't the difference you are referring to just the difference between a 2 door sedan, with a normal length roofline, and a business coupe, which has a shorter roofline, and hence a longer panel above the trunk lid? Business coupes don't have a back seat so the roof line was shorter. Regular sedans had a back seat and a longer roof for head room. Gotta like the look of a 49/50 Chevy business coupe done up gasser style tho!

5. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

The coupe has a longer trunk and shorter top than a sedan. The coupe shares its deck lid with 2 door hard top and the convert. the sedan shares its deck lid with the 4 doors.

6. squirrel

squirrel

Attached Files:

7. oldolds

oldolds

51- 52 have "extended" quarters compared to 40 - 50. Makes them look longer.

8. junkjunky

junkjunky

Atomic Kustom is correct
    on the coupe, sport coupe and converts. Fords used the longer panel between deck lid and roof .

9. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Heres some 49's
    You got the Bizness coupe, the sedan and the fleetline.
    The bizness coupe body being my fav.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. atomickustom

atomickustom

It is confusing because so many people with a 2-door sedan refer to it as a "coupe" but as Squirrel very helpfully shows in his attachment there are two very different body styles in those years (not counting the fastback like Surface Rust posted or the hardtop), with the "coupe" having the short roof/long trunk look and the "sedan" having the long roof/short trunk look.

Back then car companies didn't have so many different models as they do now, instead they had a lot of variations on the one basic model. All '51 Chevies have the same wheelbase, chassis, floor pan, and drivetrain. The main differences are in the roof (convertible, hardtop, sedan, fastback, coupe) and that then changes the proportions and length of the trunk.

Does anyone know for certain that a hardtop or convertible trunk lid will fit my '51 coupe? That would make it easier to find a replacement!

11. squirrel

squirrel

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

for some reason people want to refer to all coupes as "business coupes" when business coupes were actually "Styeline Special" coupes with no back seat. Chevrolet called the other coupes "Sport Coupe". a true business coupe is pretty rare these days, people liked the extra chrome trim and a back seat and I'd say the Styleline Deluxe coupes outsold them or at least out survived them by a very large margin.

they didn't make coupes in 54 at all.

...the page from the Old car manual project that Squirrel provided came from the "master parts catalog" GM used to put out. the earliest date I've seen of those is 1929, then they just got bigger every year, I have one that covers 1929-1942 and another for 29-52. later ones started in a later year or the book would be 1 foot thick. I also have a 1938 -1963 or so, they come in very handy for what fits what over the years not to mention lots of cool illustrations. also if you have NOS parts in the box you can use these books to find what they fit.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  13. atomickustom

atomickustom

14. squirrel

squirrel

That's what it says. And Chevy should know, they built them.

15. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

I got it. I guess when I was young I had no idea what I had. I scored a bizz coupe (no back seat) I was able to get a sbc engine with a th 350 ,and a 10 bolt 4:11rear end up in it with help from friends and mentors at the time. As things went I had nowhere to do the work ....after Dave went to college upstate. I had stored it at a friends place for the time being. Then,some jakk ass stole it on account of it was way outback and not much attention paid to it,it was under a tarp but thieves are thieves. Although I was able to retrieve it, I did sell it for a mere 2500.00 bukks , From there it was painted pink with zebra skin interior last I knew , but at least it went down the road maybee Dan still has it?? Fatt chance I could easily find out, Well bottom line , I guess it will not be as easy to find another one after reading what you all have had to say, I will not give up I am in central Florida and a bit older and much wiser then I was way back when and want to do this car so if anyone knows of one out my way let me know please and the few I see you all building it can be done and better today then in 1979 when I first tried at the age of 17 with very little bodyshop exp under my belt,today is a different story also besides the Turkey Rod Run what other vintage shows and swaps go on down my way??

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Must be the same reason why people refer to every 5 spoke wheel as a "Mag" or every 32 ford as a Deuce... Sorry, When I see a car with short rear side windows and no back seat I call it a business coupe.

17. Jimmyvonviggle

Jimmyvonviggle
    from Montreal

From 49-52 the body styles were 2 and 4 door with either a reg roof, or a slanted or fastback roofline. A 2 door will give the impression of being longer. And of course a fastback looks longer.

Of course a chop will always make things look longer.

In 53 the trunk no longer curved down and was at the same level of the back fenders.

18. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

A'nt that what I said!!:)

19. atomickustom

atomickustom

They are out there, you just have to look for them. Be warned, though: if you go to look at one for sale without seeing photos first 9 times out of 10 a "coupe" will actually be a 2-door sedan. Even if you ask people flat out, most of them will either lie or not understand what "coupe" means and say theirs is.
    Hit the internet. Craigslist can be a gold mine, and eBay is good if you don't mind paying full market price for a car. And there are a lot of dealers out there that sell "project cars" (field cars). Good luck, and let us know when you find one!

20. atomickustom

atomickustom

Yeah, but it was brand new info to me!

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

so if you see a red car do you call it green? :)