Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My Rear end wont stop leaking! 57 Pontiac, where does this seal go?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PapaVolume, Apr 1, 2014.

1. So I am hoping the third time is a charm. I ordered the seal kit from Kanter that comes with the seal pictured and the o-ring seal(not pictured and unused since there is not spot on the new style bearing). The problem is its not leaking where the o-ring goes but rather right through the "sealed" bearing and it basically fills up the oil deflector area and down the axle flange and eventually drips down the outer drum brake area and the back of the wheel/spokes etc. So I ordered this seal kit thinking the seal goes into the axle tube but it does not fit. I also tried ordering seal #470059 as advised through another thread on this forum but the outer diameter of the seal is too large and it doesn't fit into the axle tube. The axle shaft diameter is however correct. I have the Timken catalog downloaded but my micrometer isn't long enough to properly measure the inner diameter of the axle tube to try to match up a seal and it seems every seal I try to look up via the catalog ends up being a special order seal so no option to try to test fit one.

Does this seal get installed between the bearing and axle flange? None of the manual pictures are quite clear enough to understand.

[​IMG]

2. Ohiovette

Ohiovette

Contact Fabcraft in Texas.
    They are the Pontiac and Olds rear end people, very helpful and they have all the correct parts for those rears.

3. 55chieftain

55chieftain

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

5. Which it fits there just fine I just can't imagine it working to prevent leaks since the axle housing is tapered, it doesn't really get pressed into anything, just against the taper. When I get back to the shop tomorrow ill take another look at it tomorrow but I was under the impression the 514003 bearing was sealed and wouldn't need additional seals.

6. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Consult your doctor immediately!!!:D:D:D Sorry I couldn't help it!.....LOL carry on.

7. 55chieftain

55chieftain

It gets confusing since that pic was for all factory parts and these didn't come with sealed bearings. What if you got bearings with the o ring like these from Moser instead of messing with that other seal? Or try sealing up the bearing to the housing with some ultra gray rtv on the outside of the bearing? I don't see how the oil goes thru the sealed bearing unless it's defective?

http://www.moserengineering.com/other-parts/big-ford-and-olds-pontiac-ball-bearing-1-531-id.html

8. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I just did this to a mid 60s Oldsmobile you do need that inner seal to keep the differential lube from seeping past the bearing and race assembly. The axle tube should have a small lip machined into it to catch the seal. It goes in backward from what you might think. It's there to keep the lube in the differential not to let it lubricate the bearing.

9. bryan6902

bryan6902

Kanter sells the correct bearing and seal for this. I exhausted all the inexpensive options on my 57 before getting the right piece from them. You have to cut the old bearing off and press the new one on, FYI.

I bought that seal kit twice before buying the new bearing as well.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  10. sunbeam

sunbeam

According to my 63 motor manual 57-58 just used the O ring on the outside of the bearing 59 up used a seal before the bearing.

11. swe64

swe64

hello from sweden
    .check if you have 57 bearing (check old one if it the same)on my -62 axle i had some problems with my new Nhra proved axles last year i put in a spool.took old out and new in litte tight and 2 days before race took a test drive heard noise.
    and some heat on right bearing.took apart and axle had contact with tube(pic)
    i grind off material inside tube and checked old ones and it was 0.100 inch wear (maby tubes is not straight welded)and first i looked at seal that is close to locking ring.so i had right position,but this alvays been like this from factory!!!!!
    when i look at pictures now i have a seal on bearing that is not factory1962.
    axles came from fabcraft with bearing and tinking now i may not have to use inner seal.
    i went out and looked at my spare -57 housing and aftermarket axles 31splines(i did buy it here on hamb from a member).and it had same seal on bearings.
    im consearned if it is wrong to have both seals?any?
    i will mail fabcraft about this.
    ken
    sweden

Attached Files:

12. Well, it didnt work. Now not only is the right rear axle seal dumping fluid now the pinion seal is leaking as well.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Have you checked your vent?

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Good call... ^^^^^^^^^

15. I havent yet. I'll get it back on the lift. Where is the vent located?

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Not for sure most of the time it is the top of one the axle tubes could be made in to the bolt that holds the brake line fitting to the housing.

17. swe64

swe64

if you check picture of my 62 axle the outerbearing have a seal and both side of backing plate should have a paper gasket one between tube and other between backingplate and bracket that holds axle

18. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

the right bearing with the o ring is the key, those paper gaskets are dust seals aren't they?

19. The vent was unobstructed. I replaced the pinion seal today though. Now just gotta figure out the outer right seal.

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Yeah I guess that would have been to easy.