Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Found something interesting on my '54 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1954vicky, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Last weekend I pulled the engine and transmission out of my '54 Ford Victoria. This weekend while I was moving the engine and transmission around I noticed something sitting on top of the transmission. It was coated in grease and gunk and when I went to pick it up the metal wire attaching it to the transmission broke off. I carefully scraped away the gunk with a screwdriver. Turns out it is the original transmission inspection tag. :eek:

It says "Cincinnati Automatic Transmission Plant" and in the top left corner is a faint "July ' 54". :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will add this to the other trinkets recovered during tear down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. indyjps

indyjps

At least you know you're trans is in good shape, the tag says so. Crazy that piece of paper survived all these years.

3. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I think it is cool when we find stuff like this, and only car people understand.

4. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

wonder what linda looked like?

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Gold Strike stamps were more popular up here than S&H ...

6. 58custom

58custom

Can you post a picture? I dig stuff like this.

7. One of the few things that is "ok" :(

It's coated with something, like wax. I think that helped it survive. That and all of the oil/grease build up on it.

8. Tudorp

Tudorp

I love treasure hunts like this stuff. I always make it a point to go on treasure hunts when I buy new vintage anything. It's all part of the history of the car or item. I also collect vintage military weapons, in the butt stock on an WWII M1 Garand I bought awhile back I found wadded up deep in the cleaning kit area in the butt stock was a love note from a wife or girlfriend of the WWII soldier that once carried the M1. I thought that was cool, and the thought pondering who the guy and the girl was, and if the soldier even made it home to her. I love this sort of stuff..

9. What part of Idaho are you in?