Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1951 Chevy Fleetline Steering question..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sqeaky Hinge, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

I have a 1951 Chevy Fleetline , and I have changed the engine and trans. over to a SBC / powerglide combo , I used the Chassis engineering slip over the frame engine mounts , and I used a '63 Impala column in the car , I adapted the original steering box to fit the column , but over the years , the box has got sloppy , I was wondering if anyone would know of a rear steer box from maybe a Nova or something like that could be adapted to work? , I have heard of people using a "605" box to convert tri-fives to power steering , and I wonder if there is something like this I can do for my stovebolt chevy?

Attached Files:

2. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

Nobody has any advice?:confused:

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

No good solution for installing a later style box. I put a 53-54 box in my 50 Sedan Delivery. Slower ration and roller bearing on the sector shaft for easier steering. Rebuilt it and adjusted per factory specs and it drives nice.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if there was another box that could be adapted to these cars all the aftermarket guys would be selling a kit to install it. I hear they are becoming quite popular.

5. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

6. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

Here's a photo..(I hope)

Attached Files:

7. There is no easy alternative. The Astro Van box - if you can find the right one, because apparently there are two - can be used if you build a mount for it.

I was going to run a '54 box in mine, they're a tad better with roller bearings in them. Then I sold the car.

So I have a '50 column and box out loose, I could cut it off and ship it to you if it was worth $25 for it. Nothing was wrong with it when I pulled it.

8. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

9. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge