Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '36 Chevy Coupe Barn find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChucksCrib, Apr 5, 2014.

1. ....Okay.......large shed find.........At any rate I have been working on buying this car for about a year. The owner purchased the car in 1970 at the age of 16-17. He had installed a 3 speed and rear end out of a '55 Chevy and a 283 from a 60 Chevy.....and that is where the progress stopped. Uncle Sam drag his ass out to Viet Nam. This all took place in Minnesota. He eventually moved out east here to Connecticut originally without the Coupe. Then in 1984 he sent for it and here it sat in Connecticut in a Shed untouched. Until today when I dragged it home....what a fun day I had today. Enjoy the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 41 C28

41 C28

3. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Chuck, That is really a nice find. From the pictures the car appears to be the Standard Series. Beam Axle, Dual Dash Gauges, Painted Headlight Buckets are all indicators !!! The wheelbase should be 109" and the artillery wheels (5 lug) have a 4 1/4 bolt circle (odd)
    I have a 2-dr Standard Coach (Flat Back,No Trunk) out in the garage that I bought last year. The Standard seems small compared to the Master Series in 1936.
    I will be watching for future posts and your progress.
    Send a PM if you want to talk about the Standard Series for '36. Thanks, Jeff

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. scotts52

scotts52

That's Sweet!! Congrats! I love almost all of the vehicles from 1936. Was an excellent year I think.

5. Nice find! What are your plans for it?

6. KLGreen

KLGreen
    from Kansas

Wow, great score.

7. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Hmmm, '36 Chevy coupe with a 283" in it, brings back memories from 50+ years ago of the Drag-N-Runs at Dover Dragstrip. Nice car, great find.

8. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great find, looks super solid!

9. indyjps

indyjps

Love it, the car looks solid, what are the plans? I'll be following. I've found a 37 chevy coupe that's pretty rough, owner is willing to sell, not sure I want to jump on it, lots of rust repair

10. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Very nice find. Good luck with it.

11. JunkYardGuy

JunkYardGuy

Great find, keep us posted on your progress.

12. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

make a great gift...my birthdays around the corner....

13. Well...the plan is to tear it all down to the frame and rebuild it as a hotrod....is there another option.:D There is no cancer on this car both frame and body....just surface rust repair and a few dings and bruises. I am hoping to be able to save this motor and after pulling the valve covers and inspecting the oil in the pan all looks good ...so far. I do want to install a MII front end other than that I plan to leave it as as. Of course things can change the more I dig into the car.

14. nice score .... and good story ... =)

15. johnc451

johnc451

Looks so solid compared to where I started with my '40. Keep the momentum---no more long term storage!!! Great find---super lines! John

16. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Cool old Chevy. How is the wood framing in the body?

17. Really nice car and find.I'd think about keeping the front axel(just me)
    and be sure and take that Vet for a ride when finished.

belair likes this.
  18. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

A nice find with some cool history. Hope you stick to the build theme the original owner was trying to establish. Good luck with the project!

19. I'm am tossing around the idea of not painting the body exterior. It is original 1936 paint with only slight surface rust in some areas. The frame, inside the fenders interior of course will the blasted and repainted. If I can I want to keep the 283, 3 speed and rear that the previous owner installed. .....and he lives in my town so you can be he'll be in it for a ride....if not let him drive it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. 1951oldguy

1951oldguy
    from Arkansas

I could see doing the minimum to make it driveable and safe. Tool around a while and enjoy. As your sweet car's history tells, to much time is often spent torn down and that lost time could be spent cruising.

21. Wow! Nice car! Good luck with it!

22. Nice car. When I first got my 38 Chevy 2 dr sedan, it had a 307 SBC, with a 3 speed and rearend out of a 57 Chevy car. It had stock front parallel leaf beam axle suspension, but with 53-54 car hubs and drums to get the 5 lug pattern. It drove OK, basically like an old car, just with a bit more power.

You could get that running and driving and be similar to what I had. Mine did not last long in that shape, as my namesake it now has 454 BBC and Must II IFS so it sits low and drives great.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Great patina! Hope it stays that way but more power to ya in which ever way you build it.

24. Thanks all......I am going to keep the patina. Just por 15 everything on the greasy side and put it back together.

[​IMG]

25. rsg2506

rsg2506

I've seen the car and I wouldn't listen to what he said he said his plans are. He told me he's already got a hot pink paint job and digital dash in the mix.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  26. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

It'll match the MII ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. ^^^^ Yeah! And some 24" spinners!

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

got to love original paint. no surprises, no "repairs" to redo.

29. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Might look good "Hot Pink", especially if he paints the frame covers on the front fenders "Nipple Brown" Sorry Chuck, I could not help but get in on the fun.........Jeff