Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eastwood & Barakat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rick Barakat, Apr 30, 2011.

1. jalopy45

jalopy45

Rick, any plans to take the sedan anywhere besides LARS yet?

2. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Gary-
    Not really but I'm open to suggestions. I've just been driving it around town and enjoying that. Any ideas?

3. deucemac

deucemac

NSRA Bakersfield end of April?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Good thinking...Bakersfield's practically in my back yard. (give maybe 90 miles...)
    Sure would like to see Bearcat and the famous '32 again!

5. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

The San Luis Roadster club is putting on a fun run of driving through the back roads of the central coast in conjunction with a couple of great meals at some cool venues . I'll deffinatly be there ! Check out their website .

6. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Phil-
    Is this open to roadsters only? I read the info and it sounds like a great time. The flyer didn't mention it, but do you have to sign up ahead of time? See below.

I also looked up the Bakersfield event. Looks like I missed that cut off date.

7. deucemac

deucemac

The advanced registration has past, but you can register at the host hotel like all of us procrastinating shlups do! I usuallly drive over Friday morning, register and head off to the fairgrounds. It would be grrat to see you there. Let me know and we will save you a spot with our group. We are dedicated to a relaxed and enjoyable time

8. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

WOW!!!! Glad to see some posting on this thread again. Me and the coupe just got back from the Charlotte Auto Fair. We always get to park with Mike Goodman at Honest Charley. Mike was able to get me some ORANGE suspension bushings from Pete&Jakes. P&J still has some of them left but I don't know if they are going to make any more. Thanks Rick for encouraging them to make them..............................

9. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

How about the N.H.R.A. Museum get together on the 1st we'd of every month? hey 26hotrod.........how is everything in LANDIS N.C?

10. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Rick , as far as I know it's open to all cars . SLO Roadsters put on a good event and Sherm always has some cool roads winding through the country to get you to whatever venue is on the menu .Call the ph # on the flyer for info on pre-registration , I always pre -reg . If you want give me a call and I'll fill you in .

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  11. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

TIO GEO thanks for asking about Landis. Spring has finally arrived after a cold winter and area cruise ins are starting up again. We have a big one the second Sat. of the month in near by Kannapolis N.C. and several more in near by towns also. Just glad I got a socal hotrod to ride around in. Road blessings and good cruizin to everyone.............................

12. Hi Rick.....I found this great photo on another web site.
    Picture taken at Baylands. This most have been an awesome site rolling down the highway!
    I love the tow vehicle, maybe there's another one in the future?

Cw.

Attached Files:

Driver50x likes this.
  13. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Craig-
    Thanks for finding this. Nice shorts huh?
    I would love to find a driver I could buy and paint and prime. All it needs to be is good mechanically. Anybody know of one?

14. deucemac

deucemac

Rick, I've been thinking of places for you to take the tudor and one keeps coming back to me. April 12th at 1:00PM there will be celebration of life at the NHRA museum in honor of our own "Stroker McGurk" Tom Medley. Everone on the HAMB, and every hot rodder young, old, or in between owes Tom a debt of gratitude none of us can fully repay. It was Tom that kept real hot rodding alive (yes I know there were others, but Tom had the position and juice at Petersen) when most people were jumping ship and going to mustle cars and other things. He revived Rod & Custom, was behind the first street rod nats at Peoria. I was fortunate enough to be there and walked that farmer's field with a friend in awe of 600 yep 600 hot rods in ONE place! And look at us now, 800 plus roadsters and well over 2000 cars in preferred parking is the norm at the LARS meet and so many others through out the country now days. BUT one of the biggest things I am grateful to him for is looking out his window at the Petersen parking lot and noticing a slightly scruffy, red deuce roadster in the employee lot. After some inquiry, he found out it was owned and daily driven by a book division employee named Gray Baskerville! And as they say in that cliché THE REST IS HISTORY! Ol' Dad became our biggest cheer leader and beloved wordsmith. Along the way he became enamored with a certain hot rod duo with a rootin' tootin', take no prisoners, in your face, primered tudor that reminded us all that REAL hot rods don't need to be high dollar power parkers. Just fast, mean, nasty, and above all FUN! I hope I wasn't too long winded but I can't think of another car except Tom's beloved coupe that should be there for that celebration. Tom's son Gary has a post here on the HAMB with the particulars and where to RSVP. So, what do you think? I'm going to do my best to be there too.

15. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I agree with deucemac 100%. Hope Baskerville's roadster is there too. I am glad to have been able to enjoy both of these tallents as this hobby/sport progressed. They made a lasting impression on my life.Prayers sent up for friends and family................

16. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Thanks deucemac-
    I will be there on Saturday!

17. deucemac

deucemac

Excellent! I hope we can get together there!

18. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

Dig them shorts

19. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

I went to Tom Medley's "Celebration of Life" on Saturday. I had met him a few times but I'm sure he didn't know who I was. I knew he had a great impact on our hobby and therefore my life but never knew how much until I heard him eulogized. Interesting side note. He was born on the same day as my father...just outlived him by 5 years.

Every time I go to an event like this I find it interesting how many people say that the one who passed on had such an impact on their lives. I also wonder how many of them had shared those sentiments while the deceased were alive.

After my father had passed away, whenever I see one of his friends, I let them know how I felt they had an impact on me. Most of them are surprised to hear it and all of them smile.

Anyway, it was a nice event and a good time to see friends I don't see often.

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I wish I could have gone to that. I never met him, but I have known of his writings and photography ALL of my life, so yes, in that respect he did have a large impact on what shapes me.

Almost ten years ago, one of my best friends passed away. He was one of the 4 or 5 surrogate "dad's" that took me under his wing as a teen and pulled me into this mess by simply spending the time with me after my own father decided that family life wasn't his gig. As I spoke at the service, I told the entire room (about 300, and I knew almost every face in the crowd) that from that day forward I wasn't going to clam up with my friends. I like to think that I have fulfilled that deal. It's so damned important to let your friends now while they are still here what they mean to you....

21. barebones32

barebones32

I'd like to suggest our San Diego Deuce Day event on Saturday October 4th in Escondido. '32's only, and only 100 of them in a small park. Escondido's Cruisin' Grand Nitro Nite with 20 or so FEDs is the nite before.
    I mentioned it to P'wood Saturday at Tom Medley's CoL a and he seemed interested. Go to: www.sandiegodeuceday.com for details.

22. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Chip-
    I couldn't agree with you more.

I spoke with Jason at Pete & Jake's today about going back to their open house with the Sedan for their 40th anniversary kick off party on Saturday May 10th. In my mind I was all set and then I came home and found out that:
    1. Thursday, May 8th, my daughter comes home from New Orleans.
    2. Friday, May 9th, my son has his graduation ceremony.
    3. Friday night is Art Center's orientation for him also.
    Not a tough choice.

Chick-
    I'll be calling Paul to register today. Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds like a great event.

23. Bummer, I would have made that weekend work to make it up to Pete & Jakes. I can't remember what my current schedule conflict is with the date, but seeing the sedan, and getting to admire the front brake drums, well, that would have been awesome.

Next time you have a chance to make it to the Midwest, lemme know.

24. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Hey Rick

About the Pete & Jake's deal
    Just 'cause you can't be there doesn't mean the car can't !!!!

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Kinda what I was thinkin'....

26. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

Pete-
    Are you offering to take it there??? That sounds great to me!

27. Looks like my travel plan status just became "subject to change".

28. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Rick,

Sure, I've even got a set of 3.00 gears I can drop in it for the trip !!

Can you fix the window rattles ?

29. Rick Barakat

Rick Barakat

What rattles? I'm like Eric, I use ear plugs.

30. l o l.........!!!