Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 Pontiac three speed gear clash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old1946truck, Apr 5, 2014.

1. old1946truck

old1946truck

When I try and shift into first or reverse the gear clash is to much and I can't. I have replaced the clutch and the pilot bearing. I have already tried adjusting the throw out bearing and I still have gear clash in first and reverse. Could the clutch disk be to thick?

2. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Try putting it in 2nd gear before putting it in 1st or reverse

3. old1946truck

old1946truck

I already have when I do I can hear a humming sound. So I think my clutch disk is a little thicker than it should be. How much danger is there in shimming a pressure plate? I did a google search and found it seems to not be uncommon thing?

4. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

That could be, but if The clutch release linkage is worn at all the pivots, maybe it might not be releasing enough at full adjustment.

But if the cluster gear is spinning so fast you clash the gears, maybe you have an alignment issue between engine & trans.

I got a car once where the countershaft didn't sit flush to the trans face and it was throwing the input shaft into a bind, so the gears clashed like the clutch wasn't releasing. In other words, the engine and trans were misaligned to each other a lot.

I fixed that by rebuilding the trans, and then put in some new 90wt (the gear oil seemed too thin, like someone had added 30 wt to the trans...) and it was better, but not good. I took the clutch apart and found the pressure plate basket was badly warped. Somebody had tightened it down wrong and bent the steel stamping. Replacing the pressure plate made it work OK.

5. old1946truck

old1946truck

I have already had the transmission apart and cleaned and replaced what was needed. The car didn't do this before the clutch replacement.

6. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

With the clutch pedal down you should be able to easily slip a thin feeler gauge between clutch plate and flywheel.

7. old1946truck

old1946truck

Ok I'll have to check that out in the morning. Would it be a bad thing using washers or should I look into a pressure plate shim kit?

8. stimpy

stimpy

also check your pilot bearing , if its a bronze one and worn or damaged it can drag the input shaft all it takes is a little burr to drive that shaft .and if its ball bearing make sure its free and should not have any drag or any type of rumbling when turned ( I have seen a few of the garbage ones dry out and try to sieze and create lots of drag ) and the most common problem , make sure the drive disc is in the proper way if its reversed it will drag on the flywheel or cover ( pressure plate ) drive nose to the front , marcel springs/hub to the back , some times they come labeled wrong and is the most common problem .

9. old1946truck

old1946truck

Well it worked I put one 3/8 washer between the pressure plate and the fly wheel on each bolt. The car shifts right into gear now!

10. Remember what you did, so when your clutch starts to slip, you can take the "shims" back out.

11. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

The pressure plate height needs to be correct to about 0.008" for proper clutch action with a new disc.

You've shimmed it out maybe 0.050" from where it was, so it's possibly quite loose.

12. old1946truck

old1946truck

I drove it today for the first time and I turned out really good just needs to get seated in.