Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help from all you Lincoln/Zephyr gurus out there

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kyvetteman, Apr 1, 2014.

1. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I have recently acquired a '29 A Roadster with a Lincoln H-series V-12. The engine is fresh and has been sitting awhile but has been turned over by hand from time to time. It has not been fired since assembled.

I have a few questions:

1. What kind of oil should I run? I know there are lots of opinions about oil as it relates to flathead V-8's and I don't want to rehash all that as I've gone in a direction I'm comfortable with on the Merc flattie in my Deuce. Is the V-12 similar enough to the V-8 that I can apply the same logic in oil selection?

2. How can I pre-lube the engine before starting so I don't have bearings running dry until things start circulating? Can I go through the line coming from the oil filter and pump oil in that way?

3. What do you guys use for thermostats? They go in the upper hoses, correct? Where do I find them? Will the Model A stats that have the sleeves work?

I guess that's all for now. This is new territory for me. I appreciate any and all help!

2. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Thanks for the bump stillrunners!

3. Give me a call when you have time and I can help you.

Frenchy

1 800 764-0406

Attached Files:

4. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Frenchy,
    Please give me some information about that 'breather' (?) thing on the left side of the pan on your beautiful engine !

5. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

I think that as far as oil use goes , for your V12, it's basically the same as for any other flathead. I might add that the one difference that you will find out about the V12 vs 'normal' flatheads, is that there is NO WAY to check your oil for condition as in like a dipstick :eek: ! The V12s have a WEIRD little rod that comes up thru the engine and up thru intake on left side. This rod is attached to a small FLOAT down in the crankcase (really! :) ). There is a piece of flat metal with hash marks to indicate how much oil is in the engine ! Wow, what genius thot that up,eh !! You've got to change the oil to see how dirty, etc it is. Oh, and use detergent...NOT straight grade oil, as this type engine is well known for plugging up what little holes it has for drain back,etc...as it has NO PROVISION FOR BREATHER..except oil fill cap..bummer in engineering !! This lack of breather provision causes crankcase pressures which forces oil up past rings ...oil burning/gummed up combustion chambers.

Hey , let's see some pics of your A-V12.

6. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Here she is sitting in the previous owner's shop before it got shipped to me. It is at my buddy's shop in another state and it was pouring down rain the day I went to look at it so couldn't get any other pics inside the trailer.

Can't wait till next weekend to go and start tinkerin!

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Thanks so much Frenchy. I will put together a list of questions and will definitely call on you. I greatly appreciate your willingness to help!

8. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Thanks for weighing in hardtimes. That oil level indicator is quite strange!

9. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Yeah, when you get it home and start tinkering, I've got some questions to ask about your acquisition ...nice ! I'm thinking of putting this into an A frame and that's where I will start with questions !

Attached Files:

• 018.JPG
      018.JPG
      File size:
      445.5 KB
      Views:
  10. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

PM me hardtimes, I might be able to she'd some light on your questions now as to how the builder fit this in an A frame with no firewall mods. Hint: add another "A".

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

By the way, that thing is gorgeous!

12. hey i have used those wheels n tires to mock up one of my cars and to get into the iron invasion with another. jeff is a great guy.
    glad the car will be getting finished
    tom

13. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Thanks Tom. I agree about Jeff. I've really gotten to know him during the "process" of buying this awesome project from him. He's been great to deal with and I hope I can do his vision justice with the finished product.

14. This down draft tube is from a later Ford and had a steel wedge made to weld to the side of the oil pan works well.

Frenchy

15. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Frenchy,
    Yeah....NO breathers on these old V12s !
    I'm just trying to 'hotwire' this V12 distributor. Never have owned/used one. How do I go about hotwiring this just to hear the engine run...without burning out anything ?
    Do the two condensers each service a separate coil ?

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      285.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014