Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical what std. trans behind a FR Ford. 390

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockin rebel, Apr 5, 2014.

1. hello. I am thinking about putting a std trans, 5 speed in my 54 Mercury car. one guy says Mustang 5 speed is not strong enough :confused: any thoughts.?? thanks...

tittle should read, FE don't know why we can't change the tittle ?

2. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

I have a '54 as well... I was told by several tranny shops that even a T5 behind my y block would not hold up. A few buddies have blown T5's in similar shoeboxes... I went with a 1 3/8" big block 4 speed toploader. If you have to have a 5 speed, I'd go with a TKO

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Many guys have bought the mustang 4 cylinder 5 speed by mistake and those won't hold up long in a V-8 application..For cruising/road trips, the 5.0 5 speed would hold up, however if you're going to flog it, I agree the TKO is much stronger, would live under the abuse and would be the better choice. Also, Liberty will build a 5 speed to you needs at a reasonable price..

4. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

Looking in the Tremec catalog, brand new T-5's are rated for 300 ft lbs of torque. Used, maybe less, especially since Foxbody Mustang shifters hung up on the 3rd gear shift, so the synchros typically get bruised up. The new TKO's handle 500-600ft lbs. what's your FE putting out?

needless to say, curb weight and your desire to downshift in place of using the brakes, changes the amount of abuse the trans will be seeing. The only things that are cheap, are the things you do only once.

5. thanks guys. what is a TKO.? I only have built Chevies.. also I am 65 and will not be betting it up, much..lol

6. also what bellhousing would I use..seems Ford has many different ones..thanks again...this is going to be a custom, so mostly just want a stick shift, for shifting..

7. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

8. It's a Tremec 5 speed on steroids.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!