Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bodi's 1964 C10 build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodi, Jun 13, 2012.

1. cakes

cakes

Love period political sticker, just the fact that they have lasted so long is awesome

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

3. johnod

johnod

Like your truck.

4. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

Great thread man.

5. Thanks guys. The sticker is something I've been wanting to do for awhile. Should look good as it ages a bit more, despite it being crooked.....:rolleyes:

More to come as I start doing the little things I've really been wanting to do.

I have to find a good tech thread on the amp install with an Ipod or other MP3 as the only Aux In controls. I'm wanting to keep volume control via the MP3 player, but, still keep the MP3 player charging rather than an serperate volume nob. I'm on the hunt. If anyone knows of a thread like that, let me know. My truck needs tunes!:D

6. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Now I see why the volume nob is needed. Thanks a ton man.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey, I can contribute to this thread! I picked up some 2 1/4" X 2 1/4" aluminum blocks today down at I.M.S.... They'd go along great with those u-bolts we had bent up yesterday...

9. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Just read it from the beginning, great thread keep it up.

10. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks man.

11. Got to use the truck, IN THE RAIN, today. I'm sure it's wondering what the hell is going on. We drove all the way down here to get out of this crap!
    [​IMG]

12. Been getting a little bit more done on the truck. This project didn't turn out quite the way I wanted, but, it's better than it was before, and it won't cost much time or money when I re-do it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The grille had a little gerrr in it that required some attention. Other than that, the stocke grille is in pretty darn good shape. So, I tried my hand at a little hammer and dolly work. Thanks to Chip Quinn for loaning me some equipment, and advice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It came out pretty decent. So, primer and paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The white fought me a bit, and I had some problems with the paint. The grille will be getting redone, but, I need the truck at night for now, so I'll have to handle that here in a few weeks.

13. The surround is done, I'll touch up the few spots where the paint made it past the masking tape. I'm not very happy with the grille. I had a heck of a time doing the hand lettering, so, I'll consider this a practice round. So, here it is, for now. I call it "my half-assterpiece".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, and I've been using "half-assterpiece" since you called at about 2:00pm! Trying to think of how to add a registration symbol to that in typical conversation so I can copywrite it to you. Maybe just hold my hand up in the shape of a copy right bubble...

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sure does look better though! I have an idea for staighten-i-fying that bumper too...

16. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

I think it looks fine Bodi, How would you improve doing the letters again if you had to do it all over?

17. It looks OK in the photos, but, when you see it in person, close up, it looks terrible. I called it "drunk 3rd grader quality", Chip more accurately assessed it as "drunk kindergartner quality". It really is pretty bad. It's one of the first things I notice on these trucks, and I've seen many that look poorly done, so, I want mine to look good when all is said and done.

The biggest thing I learned this first go round is that the paint makes a huge difference. The viscosity is critical. If the paint is too thick, you have to help it disperse, and break the surface tension. That translates in to a lot of relying on the steadiness of your hands. I have good hands until I need to do something important like this.:rolleyes: If you get the paint thinner, and position the grille so that each letter is flat you can use the lesser surface tension to where you are just "filling up" the bottom of each letter with paint. The edge of the lines comes out much better. I learned that on the later letters in the grille, and they turned out better. Secondly, from the advice I've read on another thread I started, a good lettering brush should help. I used a Testors model brush. I cut it down fine, but still had problems with it not being fine enough, and the "hairs" didn't lay the way I wanted. The inconsistency of that fought me tooth and nail. I'm going to go get a proper brush, some One Shot, and give it another try. If I can't get it the way I like it that way I'll do it again, and just use that masking contact paper. I'll cut the letters out with an X-acto knife, and then spray it.

I know this is just an old farm truck, but, a poorly done black and white lettered grille on the front of these just sticks out so badly to me.

In other news, I picked up a really straight bumper at the Glendale swap on Sunday for $10. That should save me some time over trying to straighten my stock one.:)

18. mink

mink
    from CT

Thanks, for sharing!!! Well structured

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thanks man for the help today!!! I hate bleeding brakes alone!

20. Mick.Delisle

Mick.Delisle
    from Canada

I am working on a 66 and not sure how you get the tailgate back on. Must be dumb or something.

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Lettering is one of those things that can be so supremely frustrating but satisfying when you hone in on the ability.

...and when I figure it out, I'll let you know. hahaha

22. Well everyone, I see it has been a full year since I posted anything to this thread. So, with inspiration from some of the other C10s being worked on around the country, I figured I'd share what my pickup has been up to. Basically, I've been using the hell out of it. Here's some hack photography for you all to enjoy.​
    These were taken in between Kingman, and Wickenburg when my buddy Cody and I went to Vegas for my birthday.​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are from Lowell, Arizona at the 1st annual SE Arizona Hot Rod Roundup. It was a hell of a show. Be there next year!​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    South of Bisbee, Arizona on my way to Douglas, Arizona on the Mexico border.​
    [​IMG]

23. My posts are never complete without a shot or two taken out the windshield. YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO?!?!?!?!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got a little too close to the border in search of a cool Mexico sign to take a picture next to. Ended up with a border guard walking me back around to the US border crossing to let me back in to the states.
    [​IMG]

Back in Bisbee, Arizona at The Stock Exchange.
    [​IMG]

24. And a couple more near a cool ranch sign north of Douglas, Arizona. Sepia makes me classy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

very nice job on the truck and I'm a Ford guy!!

26. mink

mink
    from CT

What size Holley are your running. How's it run

27. I believe it is the 570cfm model 4150 if I remember correctly. I don't think a touch more carb would hurt at all, but, the truck runs really well. It pulls hard, and has pretty solid throttle response. There are plenty of trucks around with 100 more cubes that I have no problem keeping up with, loaded or not. I'm just not going to win any distance speed races. You have to be patient with this combo on the highway.

28. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Just read the thread from start to finish. Love it and great work on the truck. Nice post of all the progress you made and cross country adventure. Thanks for taking us with you.

29. jerry

jerry

Nice truck, you should drive it more!

jerry

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?