Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. while i was doing that dad was removing the metal floorpan that extends from under the front seat to the rumble footwell. the panel had a few extra holes from previous seat mounts , seat belts and the battery box and cables. i sand blasted it and will weld it up tomorrow.
    i wanted to keep the cool rubber mat that the factory glued over the hump. check out the bowties:)

Attached Files:

ct1932ford and volvobrynk like this.
  2. dash board is out and blasted. my plan is to swop the original amp gauge to a volt gauge and install a 12v fuel gauge where the original one is.
    i built the seat risers using some recycled 2" angle iron from a movie theatre that was being updated.

Attached Files:

3. Nice work! Didn't have the floors when I got mine. Love the Goodyear Floor Mat

4. thanks.
    the floor mat is one of those things that needs to stay, despite it's flaws. i blasted around it and cleaned under the edges. i just can't decide to paint over the mat or tape it off. i think the paint would help preserve it. any thoughts?

5. my dad had a 31 chevy coupe, I would kill to get it back

6. raymay

raymay

Your car is coming along nice.
    Got a nice set of original 33 Chevy Coupe floor pans listed here on HAMB. Send me a PM if there is any interest. I am going to Spring Carlisle and can deliver them there.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. those do look nice.

8. You guys are having too much fun! (Not that that's a bad thing)

Dash looks sharp; don't tell anyone, but I love the early 30's GM dash/gauges!

9. i like the original gauges also. my dad had changed the original amp and temperature gauge to stewart warner. the speedometer is the original, and the dual gauge fuel and oil are the original. i am going to make some changes without making them look different, i am just waiting for the parts to see if what i have in mind will work.....i will post pictures if it works:cool:.... i will post pictures of the piles of pieces if it doesn't.:eek:

ct1932ford likes this.
  10. I think any way you can preserve it would be best. I like seeing original stuff like that on the car even if it has some flaws.
    Tom

11. Late to this party. Nice write up and neat that the car has been the family so long. I can hardly wait to see more progress pics.

12. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

I like the way the car sits.
    Not everything needs to be a low rider:)
    Beautiful car, and a nice thing for you and your Dad to do together.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. i ended up epoxy priming and painting it with polyurethane black...should hold up:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

14. you ask for pictures, you get pictures.

Attached Files:

15. i always thought if it sat lower it would look like one of the plastic 34s you see in street rodder mag. the stance it has now looks like an original car that has been hopped up.

16. This is one hell of a build.
    Kudos for keeping the legacy alive..you're doing your daddy proud.
    Love the green and the gold undercarriage.
    I thoughts youse guys out theres had rusty bottoms.

Anyway love the rebuild.
    I knew you were a youth by your great sense of humor.
    Seem to be pretty knowledgeable about early bowties too.
    I might send a few ? Your way if you dont mind.
    The wood repairs are top notch...
    Great thread

hipster and volvobrynk like this.
  17. thanks, i always liked the underside this color, all the cars i restore get black under carriages that look good, but the gold/copper color is something different.
    i know this build is sort of bouncing around but i am trying to keep the car mobile as i fit it into the schedule/ space constraints.
    making the wood pieces is easy, repairing the metal is easy, it is the joining of the two that makes it a pain in the adz:cool:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  18. we have been putting the floor panels and braces back in, i went to take some photos, but the batteries had just enough power to take one photo.
    a picture of the new package tray my dad cut out. the old one had a sag in the middle, a couple holes for speakers and lots of tacks and staples.

Attached Files:

ct1932ford likes this.
  19. pcialone

pcialone

Ted , love that photo of Tatter...your dog,and that your father is still working on that car , which is now yours. Neat !

20. What a great family historic hot rod. Always nice to see a Chevy, especially a rare one like a mercury bodied one. Thanks for sharing this with us.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ted, Have you given any thought to showing the car at Hershey? It is a Documented Race Car and would fit right in class 24A. Bob

22. thanks Paul, stop by again to see the progress.
    any of those italian dandelion seeds this year?

ct1932ford likes this.
  23. thanks, when i first got it my dad let me "make it my own" so he did not help me much .it helped me learn. now it is REALLY nice to work with him on it as we discuss the changes we both made.
    i grew up in a chevy family and have always preferred them over the blue oval.
    i have a '31 chevy woody wagon that i would like to get on the road when this is done that is pretty rare also.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    ct1932ford likes this.
  24. Bob, it won't be this year maybe next. do you think mallomike's truck could tow it all the way there?:rolleyes:

ct1932ford likes this.
  25. body mounts changed, body bolts installed, all the braces in, floorboards installed after being sanded, and painted, metal floorboards installed after sandblasting, priming and painting.

Attached Files:

26. I decided to replace the rear piece of rumble floor. i started by replacing the wood cross member with a piece of tubing which i welded to the hinge supports and sills. the panel acts as a gutter to catch all the water that runs down the back of the rumble lid so i fabricated it out of stainless steel and i will screw it down with ss screws.

Attached Files:

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm not sure, does it have as much power as my Son in Law's Chevy truck? We flew down and back last year with an enclosed trailer filled with more weight than your Coupe. Bob :D

28. knowing Mike, he will probably have a newer, better, bigger diesel, more speeds version by then. his present one must have almost 20k on it by now:rolleyes::D

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    ct1932ford likes this.
  29. some pictures of the original gauges. oil pressure needs to be able to read higher pressure. fuel gage never worked; the speedo works but like the combo gauge it needs the bezel straightened and chromed. my dad had replaced the original amp and temp gauge with sw but they are not back lit like the originals, so driving in the dark....is driving in the dark.
    what to do?

Attached Files:

ct1932ford likes this.
  30. Sounds like your mind is made up:rolleyes: Just get something vintage looking.:cool: