Register now to get rid of these ads!

So here's my story...

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by sdcoupe33, Apr 2, 2014.

1. sdcoupe33

sdcoupe33

I'm Randy from San Diego in sunny Ca. The car I own is a full fendered 1933 Ford 3 window. I originally bought the car through a classified ad in the newspaper back in 1976. I had no idea of what the car should even look like. All I know was that I wanted an old Ford that I could build and hot rod. I was going to Southwestern College in Chula Vista studying automotive repair and was also taking drama classes for additional credits. The drama department was in rehearsals for a production of Bye Bye Birdie and I volunteered for the job of contacting a local car club to show their vehicles in front of the theater on opening night. The Prowlers of San Diego had their usual meetings at the time in Lemon Grove. I went to a meeting and asked whoever was present if anyone would drive their cars to the show. Quite a few guys showed up with their dates and in exchange were given free admission. By this time I was hooked and had to own a hot rod. I had also watched The California Kid on tv and knew if I had the money that this was the car I wanted, although I was open to anything as long as it was a pre '49 Ford (one of the rules of being a Prowler). I would keep looking in the paper until this ad showed up for a 1933 Ford 3 window. I called the guy and he was nearby in El Cajon. I jumped in my car and raced over to take a look. In hindsight the car was in pretty bad shape. It had been badly channeled over the frame and welded solid to the frame. Later I was told by a club member that it probably had been dirt track raced in its past. The guy told me that another kid had stopped by and wanted the car. The price was $350 and the car would go to the first guy with the cash. Not having anything on me I raced home and borrowed the money from my Mom who always had a stash of cash on hand. Needless to say I beat that other guy back. Years later I brought the car to SoCal Paint Works in Santee to do the body work. The owner of the shop Bob later asked me the history of the car. After telling him the story of how I got it he said 'I knew I recognized it'! Turns out he was the other guy!

2. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

great story on the 33, welcome to the HAMB

3. Welcome from CT!

4. RFH1931

RFH1931

Welcome from S.C.
    Cool story
    Good Luck with your project!

5. Welcome !

Cool Story - we need more Drama on the HAMB

Jim

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good read!----Yep, we all started from scratch---Before any magazine & catalog where you could order anything from pages to build a car!
    Good luck on the '34.----Don

Attached Files:

7. Welcome!! Cool you still have it.

8. Hemishovel

Hemishovel

Welcome form wi cool story

9. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Welcome! Love the intro.

10. sdcoupe33

sdcoupe33

Thanks guys! Here's some pics of what the car looks like now. Since these pics were taken I installed the hood and had the seats and door panels done in tuck 'n roll to keep with the car's theme.

Attached Files:

Louie likes this.
  11. Great story, welcome from Minnesota.

12. Cool intro! Nice car!