Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical flat head Intake manifolds

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Alaska Jim, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Just read the threads about the rare flathead heads. very interesting. how about doing the same with Flathead Intake Manifolds I have a Edmunds 2x2 Intake marked Edmunds Racing, with the carbs spaced far apart, and requiring a side mount for the generator. it is for the 49-53 style eng. I have never seen another, but that does not mean it is rare. I will try to figure out how to post a pix. of it later . I am not the best with computers.----Jim

2. Ok, i'll play along.... This is an early Edelbrock 4 carb intake, which isn't all that rare in itself, but the name that is stamped on it make this a pretty neat old piece. Its in my small parts collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Best i can do is one of these bad boys, an Edelbrock Super Dual. Probably not very rare in the states.. but over here i'd say it'd be reasonably rare.

[​IMG]

4. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

here are the pix. I mentioned of my Edmunds Manifold. maybe I can get them in the right post.

Attached Files:

5. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

O.K. looks like I have figured it out.

6. rustythumb

rustythumb

I wonder what carbs fit on there?

7. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Looks like a holley 2 bbl?

8. Mercury used a 4 bolt carb base on their flatheads....probably sold as a "Mercury" intake vs. a ford intake.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. INXS

INXS

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396229149.578431.jpg

ATTACH]2168894[/ATTACH]

Hexagon Tool intake I'm using on my '29

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

41FordSuperDeluxe likes this.
  10. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

I was planning to use this manifold on my 51 Merc, and use 2 Rochester 2gc's on it, but never got around to it. the car runs great and I spend any spare time trying to get to work on my 29 roadster project.

11. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Some of the Lincoln Zephyr carbs had 4 bolt bases too.

12. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

I have heard that, but have never seen one. old stuff is getting VERY hard to find up here in Alaska. hear they are very spendy. the thought of using them had crossed my mind though.

13. 1952henry

1952henry

True that. Specifically 42-48 Lincoln O6H. The carburetors from this time period did not have the tear drop LZ V12 script.

14. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

You mean like this?

Attached Files:

15. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Just wondering what one ( or a pair) of those carbs (rebuilt, ready to go) are selling for? any one?, where would you get them?-------Jim

16. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I saw one on fleabay the other day for $300. I don't even think it was rebuilt. I've got 3 that came with my AV12 but until I get it running I'm going to hang on to the one spare.

17. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

I have a 4 bbl Edmunds, rare??! [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. 32duece51merc

32duece51merc

Here is my Thickstun PM 7, not sure how "rare" it is...
    [​IMG]

Chris Nantus likes this.
  19. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

How many of these are out there? A Mitchell 4-71 from the land down under.

Attached Files:

LOU WELLS and 46Chief like this.
  20. [​IMG]

Pre 49 Fenton

21. [​IMG]

Pre 49 -EVANS Triple on my Avatar 36- 5 wcpe

Attached Files:

22. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

"I was a dirty bird... Carol's not grungy, she's bitchin'."

well... Carol may not be grungy, but my Tommy Thickstun sure is !!
    ...BITCHIN' !!

Anybody got any idea what RED these came in? bright, dark... ?? This ones coated in the thick Gray something. And probably blasted a time or two.
    Also you'll note the carb spacers??... likely added later.
    Heck, this is no PM-7... I'm thinking earlier. There are no Patent or Model numbers on this intake. It's certainly fits a 239. But, is this pre-war and with Tattersfield or?
    I would like to know the what ...and I'm still a dirty bird:p

23. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah... and here's the other viewing angle

[​IMG]

any thoughts.... rare or not to B

24. banjorear

banjorear

Well, I love PM-7's. I think they look great. The one in your pictures received the same fate as a good deal of these intakes.

From what I gather, all PM-7's had 7" tall runners. PM-7 stands for "port matched, 7".

Your intake was cut down to fit under the hood of a particular application.

I had one that still had a good deal of the original paint on it. The red is what you would think of when you hear red. I believe the TH red and the later Tattersfield blue were hammertone paint.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  25. alchemy

alchemy

Spooky 2's Thickstun is just a cut down PM-7. I actually think that there were some of these sold this way from the factory, but don't know for sure. The "PM-7" was probably ground off.

In all my years of flatheading, I never knew PM-7 meant port matched 7". Ya learn something new every day.

The original red is a bright cherry or fire-engine-ish red. Not too orange, more a true red. And it's not a hammertone. The Tattersfield blue is hammertone though.

26. banjorear

banjorear

Thanks for the paint clarification. Your description is right on regarding the color. After looking at Spooky's intake again, I've seen them before were one runner is cut down more than the other. I would assume for hood clearance.

27. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, thanks fellas... banjorear and alchemy!
    And WOW...always so quick with information... just genius;)

Well good, that makes more sense of the style... given the cut down. And perhaps, like you're saying, then cleared of any markings. There is, although, a slight vertical lump where the PM-7 should be, but very slight. Casting identity?? that once was.

Besides hood clearance. Could this height reduction have been done to provide a warmer carburetor? Or, even boat thinking with angled spacers?
    And wll my 81's be happy, or should I try to regain that original height for fuel/mix flow? Not to get to off topic... but 239 Flathead is 1/16" over factory relieved stock Ford block, stock heads.
    And a Red I'm thinking for the whole kit and caboodle is '41 Buick Engine Dante Red... perhaps too dark??

Thanks once again fellas for your combined insight:)

28. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alaska Jim
    I want to apologize for seemingly high-jacking your thread. :eek: Sorry.
    I do think your Edmunds Manifold is certainly terrific, and from my frame of reference... RARE. I think (as an idea) that it would look "neat o" with a pair of 4 hole-to-3 hole carb riser/spacers and two Strombergs. hmm... Well, that's just me. And my boot fits in my mouth just perfect!

And more research has led me to believe the boys ARE RIGHT about my Thickstun as being cut-down. I measured the threaded holes in the intake, and compared them to one another and found them to be quite different. And not to mention the fact that a .003 feeler gauge slides all to easy under a straight edge on the carburetor mounting surfaces. I will have to weld and re-drill/tap 3 of the 6 holes, and re-plane that surface. So... so much for my RARE? intake ...hmm

I have a plan... as to returning some height to the port matched 7 inch runners, and that's by way of Rocket Speed Equipment in New Zealand. It seems Dan Tyler has available 4 inch risers that he will machine straight and true. But, now concerns are that I may not be happy with the performance of the Stromberg 81's. Sounds like I got to go BIGGER! for the top end and speed.

Anyhow, thanks Alaska Jim for sharing this thread that threw me a learning curve this weekend. And I too have a '29 Roadster that all this is... four... let'rs and do'rs
    :) S2

29. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Spooky Two, I have no problem with the "hijack" does not bother me. I enjoy all of it and I am learning more and more. I never got an answer from any one other than you as to how rare or odd my manifold is. there is not a lot of old stuff here in Alaska to be able to make any judgments on that. I can only go by what I see on the web, and in magazines. I like your Thickstun manifold. before I retired from the state of Alaska as heavy equip. mechanic, we had a salesman that came by the parts dep. regularly that claimed that the maker of the Thickstun speed equip. was his uncle. had lots of stories to tell. I have not seen any Thickstun manifolds here in Alaska. any way I appreciate you adding to the discussion.----Thanks, I would like to hear more from everyone.-----Jim