Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jivin jer

jivin jer

It's all repairable. Tripped over an unforeseen curb in an unfamiliar area. Made contact with R palm, chin, and L elbow. Looks like 6 weeks (hopefully) lay up. The paint should be good and cured by then.

2. Oh man! Glad to hear you are ok, though. Yikes! Not to long ago, tripped in a parking lot while carrying two gallons of milk. Never had the chance to put my hands out to break my fall. Two gallons of milk end up being quite a cushion…..I was wet and needed more milk though. LOL

3. Karl stark

Karl stark

Good news, now you can relax and smell the roses for a while!

4. OWCH! That's rough.. Looks like there will be more time spent parts-searching on the inter-web now! ;)

Get better quick!
    Dave

5. Torchie

Torchie

Sorry to see that Picture Jer.
    Take it easy and heal up well.
    Torchie.

6. glad your ok Jer, sounds like a nasty fall... Get well soon !

7. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

That's really lousy. Hope your recovery goes well.

8. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Get Well. Like you say ''Growin' old aint' for sissy's. '' I used your quote at my birthday party a couple weeks ago.

9. OH.....his is not good!!!
    Hurry up and heal Jer, we need a fix!

10. jivin jer

jivin jer

I probably should make an effort to replace that last image. Also giving you the finger (once again) as proof that I will heal.

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      269.7 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      231.9 KB
      Views:
  11. Yes, you're looking kinda sad in the first shot. Glad it wasn't more serious. Get some healing done and get back to work! :D

12. ouch, get well soon, Jer!

13. jivin jer

jivin jer

Hey, I appreciate your comments and concern, the adventure continues. In the spirit of this being a details thread, I will include the medical part of this story. I went to the doctor for a follow up and he removed everything that's on this broken arm, I was amazed. I was able to scratch all the itch's and see everything. I include some of the pics from that visit. Next week the stainless steel staples come out and, I get a contraption that has a joint in the cast like structure. This will allow me to start moving the elbow which means rehab also starts. So maybe I can get back at it sooner than I thought. We'll see.

The pic taking started after the dressing (surgical procedure) was replaced. I'll make sure that doesn't happen again. Everybody likes the blood and guts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  14. that just hurts to look at Jer... get well soon...

15. Yaril

Yaril

get well soon! and keep up the great work as usual!

16. jivin jer

jivin jer

We do have to at least clean up the things that have been done up to now.

Here is the steering wheel ready for primer. I like at lot of "tooth" for this type of repair, so it's made ready with 80 grit. I'm using K36 and, the wheel at this point is thirsty for some primer.

Attached Files:

17. Torchie

Torchie

Glad to see you are back at it Jer. But don't over do it.
    Torchie.

18. jivin jer

jivin jer

After using Eastwoods adhesion promoter, I prime, and smear on some glaze to fill the scratches.

Attached Files:

19. jivin jer

jivin jer

I have a daughter in-law that's a Veterinarian. The doctor encouraged us to change the dressing before he see's me on Thursday. Here we go...

Attached Files:

• 002 (3).jpg
      002 (3).jpg
      File size:
      368.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      305.7 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      262.9 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      310.8 KB
      Views:
  20. Are those wounds from the fall? Looks like you had some surgery to put the bones back together?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. jivin jer

jivin jer

22. Karl stark

Karl stark

I'll bet you'll be back at it before the doc thinks you will. Seems like weather your working on the coupe or falling on your elbow, you go at it 100%! Hope your better soon.

23. jivin jer

jivin jer

Here's the steering wheel with the final primer/guide coat, lots of time to cure.

Attached Files:

24. Marten

Marten

Ooouuchh! Take your rest serious!
    2012 I've been there also, broke my upperarm in half, shinbone and calfbone, both arm and leg repaired bij putting in iron pins (which gonna stay there forever). Recovered for almost a year...

25. jivin jer

jivin jer

I had the "cast" taken off for the last time. For the first time the arm feels good without all that support.

I hear ya Marten. These steering wheel pics show what's already been done.

Attached Files:

• 006 (2).jpg
      006 (2).jpg
      File size:
      270.7 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      244.8 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      267.5 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      211.8 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      190.5 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      412.4 KB
      Views:
  26. Marten

Marten

Thats some cool stuff, Robocop! A lot of screws, hope pain is not too bad as it seems. Judging by your effort in builds, you will recover (read work) as soon as I did. I welded my car when I sat in my rented wheelchair, burnt up the seat of it.
    Starting again at my dayjob, took me a year, that's the hard part standing/working for 9 hours a day.You get so much more energy when you work on your hobbies...take care!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  27. jivin jer

jivin jer

I'm feeling better each day. I'm going to have mom/gma take a measurement at the area of the swelling. Just before the elbow. I think it's going down. I'm able to hold things with that hand. Things are looking up. I will still be careful to not over do that arm.

There are lots of odds and ends that are partially done to attend to. The stainless mldg's, the garnish mldg's, the door glass, the cut down back glass, the windshield, plastic items etc.

The mail man will occasionally pay a visit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  28. jivin jer

jivin jer

The arm has been doing remarkably well (minimal pain). It's two weeks ago today that I broke it. Everyday it's felt better than the last. I have been measuring the swelling and it is going down. I have been getting by without the brace pretty good. Unfortunately I put myself in a situation yesterday that put some strain on that arm. Just the soft tissue, and now I have been set back a bit. Back to the brace with a new appreciation for what it's for and does.

29. jivin jer

jivin jer

OK, I saw the doctor yesterday and everything (the break) is fine. I wasn't concerned about the bones as I was sure that if they were damaged I would REALLY know it. Its the soft tissue, tendon's, muscle, etc.. Oh well, I will go forward with the therapy and think good thoughts.

I spent some time on the cowl trim and, will take them to the polisher to see if I'm going in the right direction with them. This should get me back "at it".

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      242 KB
      Views:
  30. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Glad you're on the mend.
    How did you end up with a plate with the same numbers as Jesse's original car?
    If it is custom-made, can you register it at DMV with that plate?
    Or, do you register with a different plate and then just use that one at shows?