Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Scott, not long after that, just for kicks, we put a 4bbl to 2bbl adapter on it upside down, and put a Holley 650 double pumper on it..,it HAULED ASS!, high 14's/low 15's @ 89-90 mph. This was supposed to be my parts runner while I built my first '66 Chevy II sedan. Suddenly I was spending money & time on the Olds, mainly because it had a running gear in it. Someone gave me an old Faria tach, so I mounted it on the cowl like a big shot. I ended up hurting the engine, so I rebuilt it with Badger cast pistons, did a little head work, used a 230 @ .050 X .480 lift hyd. cam, a Torker intake, and my first try at a Q-jet., and single point distributor. Took some more weight out (3905 with me in it), and dual exhaust with manifolds. It went 14.13 @ 98 mph on its first pass, and ran a best 13.67 @ 102.89 in 2cnd gear @ 6000-6100 in the lights at OCIR (Orange County International Raceway).

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. i knew it! Curse you johnny..,you are rotten!

3. powrshftr

powrshftr

I was wearing shorts and sandals yesterday,but things seem to be back to their normal ball-numbing temperatures today.
    So much for getting some time in on the Supermoto bike:(

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. powrshftr

powrshftr

I always fall into that trap too Ric!Throw a bunch of time and money at the running beater for instant gratification instead of keeping my eyes in the prize and finishing the monster...:)

(In my case,the monster is the A/FX car,which is third in line behind the grocery getter and the Coupe).

Scott

5. warrant

warrant
    from Canada

While I don't have much to add beyond this will be my first trip to meltdown, it is currently 21 degrees at the moment (13 with the windchill) and snowing, so suck it up, buttercups.

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thank you Danny G for your service I know that I could not ever imagine what guys and gals have gone through.
    I am a army brat my dad was in the 101st in the battle of the bulge. He was in Bastogne when the shit got bad. I guess I am lucky to even be here.
    My first three years of school was in Germany and I am the only gear head in the family.
    When dad was buying the new car in 1967 he got the Barracuda and I tried to get him to buy it with the 383 and a 4 speed but he said no I am going for the small V8 so back to the brochure and I see that you could get the commando package and a 4 speed. Well you know what it got that's wright a 273 2 barrel and a auto tranny.
    Not sure what the infatuation was for a nine year old kid to try and talk dad into a 4 speed. Anyway he kept the car for 30 years three kids learned to drive in it and needless to say there was not much left of that car. I wonder if I would have survived if got the GTX.

7. powrshftr

powrshftr

Picked up the cleanest frame I've ever seen for next year's Meltdown entry yesterday.
    Still has original paint on most of it!:)
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396542652.457484.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396542664.081700.jpg oil don't resist snapping a picture of the "U-Joint Smasher" while I was down at my storage locker too..:)

Scott

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Scott looks like you been snooping around my back yard. What are your plans for this.

9. OH MAN! we got those laying all over the place here in Cali. They're practically like leaves falling off a tree, you can hardly keep from stubbing your toe on one when your walking the dog!

..,just jacking with ya Scott, NICE SCORE!

10. Hilarious!

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

That's what it is to be Canadian fellas.

We're fuckin' near bulletproof from being out in the weather all the time!:)

Scott

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

It's getting boxed and x membered,then going under a 30 Model A coupe.

The plan is for a real heavy engine setback (maybe 2 plugs clear of the cowl),some kind of 60's style roll bar (more likely a full cage,but done with a somewhat traditional style like the Mooneyham & Sharp 554 coupe),minimal interior,no fenders,plexiglass roof insert (probably blue,just so I don't wreck Ric's Man-Crush on blue Plexi!),and a hard as hell 6"-6-1/2" chop.
    If its hard to see out of so fucking what?All the crusty old pricks who whine and moan about it can relax,cause they won't ever have to drive it....that pleasure will be reserved for ME!:D

For power it's getting a 420" stroked early Hemi (most likely 392 with offset ground stock crank,but a 4.25" stroke in a 354 works nice too....which ever one I find a fair deal on first.)
    I'm going to run a 6-71 supercharger I pulled of a cement truck out in the bush in the Northwest Territories without getting eaten by wolves or bears,and back it up with a legit B&M HydroStick trans,and either an Olds/Pontiac rear,or a Winters Quickchange.
    It's going to be evil.Im about 80% done collecting parts,and will be able to get down to business on it as soon as the Meltdown is over and I finally catch my breath!:)

Scott

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

I'm also going Hilborn 4 Port injected.

I know....you "Can't" do that on a street car.
    Well hold my beer and watch this...!:D

Scott

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That sounds like fun.

Hey look what I found in my front yard. Things are looking up.

Attached Files:

15. powrshftr

powrshftr

Where's all the white stuff..?

And what's that green stuff...?Vaguely remember something like that from a looooooong time ago.....:)

Scott

16. dblgun

dblgun

Oh yeah, we stack em up like cord wood... I just started a new pile, right next to the pile of junk Mopar distributors:D

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

Lmao!
    Dblgun,you don't have any decent 353 or 392 blocks or stroker cranks in that pile,do you....?
    You're a Mopar guy,hook a brother up!:)
    I've got 9 sets of early Hemi heads I can do a partial trade with...some 392,some Mondello ported 354's,and a couple pairs of '555' 331 heads:)

Scott

18. This is what I woke up to today, sucks ass, I know! Butter Cup, over and out! So Cal Winter.jpg

19. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

That will make at least three blown HEMIroid powered coupes for next year...I'm thinking I need to build a SBC powered one and name it preparation "H":D

Meltdown Drags
    July 18-20 2014

55belairx2 likes this.
  20. I don't get to work on the '56 this weekend because of "honey do's". My wife's dragging me to this dump this weekend..,BUNCH OF CRAP! Double Tree.jpg

dana-point-harbor-view-photo.jpg

21. Moon Eyes make up date! Mooneyes 2014.jpg

22. Hey Rohnny Jotten, is this your car in another life, or and impo RatsNest2.jpg ster/stalker?

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

Baaahahahaaaaa!:D

I was originally going to run a 400+ ci,high rpm sbc dressed out with early Vette valve covers etc and rev the piss out of it,but a buddy with a garage full of early Hemi parts got me to thinking I needed to build one of those motors with the funny valve covers that I've always loved:)

Its gonna be fun next year,that's for sure!:)

Scott

24. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

#342 here, I better get busy. I was there a couple years ago and had a blast.

25. dblgun

dblgun

Sorry Scott, my hemi stuff is limited to that "new fangled" 426 style stuff. And although my 64 has a hemi in it my budget has always been more of a wedge type of of situation.:)

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I hope to bring a FED next year got a deal in the works to trade my RED for one. I hope this pans out I bent up some tubes for a FED for a buddy a few years back and really got a hard on for one then when I got the chance to drive it at the HAMB drags my fait has been sealed.

27. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Damn son...yer good!! Did a few different versons of how I thought it should look with different names......the rotten one stuck the best
    Heck those wheelie bars might even get Quains approval.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  28. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Just remember the Meltdown Is going to be busy....Byron typically runs cars thru pretty quickly....BUT it is not a typical weekend with 100 or less cars....so you can get as many runs in as you can get in line for.....and fingers crossed no major oil downs will help keep it moving.
    Paul and I have asked people with a new car...never raced...TO MAKE test runs PRIOR to the Meltdown. Meltdown weekend is NOT the place to make first time passes, and find out your radiator hose wasn't tight or other bad things...with all the high quality stuff making passes it is just plain smart to have your act together PRIOR to attending.....this is not a test and tune 3 day event....I think everyone on here knows that, but please let your buddies know to make sure there car is ready....last year one car stopped the action everytime it raced since it was never tested prior. Lets just say....we heard the complaints loud and clear and we agree....be ready!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  29. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Ric - so you guys from Cali go from beautiful weatherand amazing scenery to even more beautiful weather and even more amazing scenery for vacation..... up here we are just hoping for 60 degree's your killin me.....lol

30. Sorry, I know that's not very nice of me, truth is, we could use some rain. If our car prep goes down to the wire, and no passes on it..,we're still bringing it even if we have to make tune up runs on some road away from the track.