Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical cutting 16" ford wire wheels to 15"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by reyn, Apr 3, 2014.

1. reyn

reyn

I'm an old ,new guy to this site and this is my first attempt at doing anything like this so please bear with me.
    Not sure if there is any interest in this or even if it has been done before but here I go.
    I collected 8- 35 Ford wire wheels for my build. A few had quite severe rust and a few kinks on the rims but the hubs are OK. Rather than junking them I decided to try cutting them down to 15". This could also work for 32 to 34 wires. Cutting them to 15" or even 16".

First I zip cut the spokes close the rim and removed the hub. Sandblasting is easier now with the rim gone. Straighten the spokes too if needed.
    I sacrificed some 15" x 6" Chevy rims, cut the centers out and cleaned the mounting surfaces and set them aside.

Attached Files:

brEad likes this.
  2. reyn

reyn

I guess this has to be done in sections.

I didn't know if this would work out so I never spent a lot of time making this jig. It looks fairly crude but does a nice job.
    The jig is an early ford spindle and drum bolted to a half inch plate that clamps in my swivel vice. An angle grinder is bolted to 1/4" plate. I welded the back of the plate to the bench top and the front is adjustable up and down with a 5/16" threaded rod and a few nuts.

Attached Files:

brEad likes this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Show us more! I love ingenuity.......

fauj likes this.
  4. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Cool project, keep us posted.

5. reyn

reyn

The front edge of the disc is centered even with the vice jaws.
    Now bolt the hub to the jig. You will notice there is no spacer on the drum to support the inside of the hub. It is not needed. The wheel bolts don't have to be torqued down, just good and snug.
    Lower the grinder all the way, clamp the jig in the vice so the hub is verticle and the spokes are centered over and just above the grinded disc.
    I am doing this after the fact so the pictures might not be in order, but hopefully they will get the point across.
    It takes a bit of readjusting and you might need help. Once it is lined up I used a cheater pipe on the vice handle to give ;it some torque to make sure it was not going to move. I also marked the swivel on the vice so it could be returned to the same spot over the grinder every time.
    First I cut all the spokes to the same length as the shortest one. Run the spokes through slowly as the zipcut blade flexes a bit.

Attached Files:

brEad likes this.
  6. reyn

reyn

I had no good way to measure the diameter of the spoke circle so I kept sneaking up on it. Cut a small amount off all the spokes, swivel the vice and try the rim. I locked the vice swivel and grinder height nuts every time to keep everything accurate tight and accurate. Patience. Pull up a chair. relax. Back and forth. Kept at it until it finally slipped on by springing the spokes slightly.
    The spokes center the rim nicely and keep it from moving. If they were cut to short it could be really tough to align it.

Attached Files:

brEad likes this.
  7. no55mad

no55mad

I have a set that someone modified to 15". The spokes were not cut, the 16" hoop was cut leaving the spokes still attached. What was left of the 16" hoop was welded into a 15" hoop. Will try to post a pic ASAP.

8. reyn

reyn

Remove the grinder and swivel the vice back. center the rim roughly side to side and then set up a dial indicator for lateral runout. Use a hammer to tap lightly. The spokes hold it in place nicely. Dial it in as close as you can and then tack a half dozen spokes on both sides of the rim.
    The first two rims I did were under 0.010" Laterally and axially, which I believe is as good as or better than factory specs. It surprised me how easy this was.
    A journeyman buddy of mine finished welding the spokes for me and I am really pleased with them.
    I blasted them, spray bombed them and baked em in the oven to harden.
    I installed my used tires on the rims and bolted them to the rearend. I dialed in the tires on the rear end. 0.025" axially and 0.015" laterally.

Attached Files:

brEad likes this.
  9. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Man, that's nuts.
    Great job

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Nice job !..Thanks again for posting

11. reyn

reyn

Also I used this setup to cut my front rims from 6" to5" wide but I didn't get a lot of pictures.
    I turned the grinder 90 degrees so the disc was vertical
    I marked where the cuts were to be. Adjusted in the vice and lifted the grinder so it just touched the rim. Rotated the rim and made a revolution with the rim. Small cuts. Kept doing that until it was through. Moved it over an inch and did it again. The rest I think has been done on the hamb.

Attached Files:

12. 117harv

117harv

Thanks for taking the time to document and post, great job!

Do you have any close up pics of the welded spokes?

13. reyn

reyn

I just went and took a few. my buddy used my millermatic. He said he would have liked them a little smaller but because he used spatter release they ended up a little bigger. I don't have any problem with them.

Attached Files:

14. reyn

reyn

no55mad Yes I would like to see a picture. I have never seen that before.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  15. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

my kinda low-tech tech. Well done.

16. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

What a slick way to save some old wheels and turn them into something desirable -- well done!

17. 4woody

4woody

Here's something to ponder:

Thinking static load- ie the car is not moving- is the weight of the car standing on the bottom spokes, or hanging from the upper spokes?

That's the entire weight of your vehicle borne by just a few wires...

Super-cool tech by the way, Reyn!

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Neither is the case. All the spokes carry a portion of the load. It may vary some, depending on position, but the load is distributed more than top and/or bottom.

19. 4444Design

4444Design

that's some interesting pics and technique

"keep it simple" - shows again that even with some simple tools 'n some brain real professional results can be achieved

thx for sharing

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice job! I had a pair of 21 inch model A wheels that were cut down to 16 inch rims, it was done back in the day, always wondered how they cut things. Bob

21. Thanks for posting this fine Tech, very cool job!! JW

22. cool tech, i am not a static expert but my left ball tolde its a kind of scary. A spoke rim works because all the spokes are under tight tension, thats in my mind the reason why they can share the wight of the car . I would not trust those rims. Hey dont get me wrong nice tech and looks pretty clean done but its a wheel, it fails maybe only once in your live

23. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

How did Henry make the rims? Weren't they welded? I don't see a problem with welding the spokes. The process of welding them will tighten the spokes.

Reyn, Thanks for sharing the process. I have a set that are garbage. This would be an option.

Neal

24. nice, work, I like it !

25. reyn

reyn

There are 32 1/4" spokes and he did a great job welding them. I believe these rims to be just as strong as Henry made them. The spokes are also shorter which makes them stronger.
    I guess I will be betting my life on it.

26. no shit right!! I fkn love this site:D
    ballsy way to do it indeed. creative

27. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

BITCHIN !! NICE JOB !! Chris

28. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You would probably be amazed/scared by what actually goes on with a spoked wheel if you've convinced yourself that tension keeps forces evenly distributed as the wheel turns.

But this is something different. These are big fat spokes with no tension and it's essentially a wheel build in the same manner as an "all Ford" wheel from the factory. I think it rules.

29. Beau

Beau

I build bicycle wheels that are 20mm wide with 24 spokes that are 1.5mm in diameter and can hold a 300 pound man (standard wheels are 32 or 36 spoke with 2.0mm spokes).

Getting these wheels to run true laterally and side to side would be the hardest part in my opinion. I wouldn't worry about how strong they are, unless your welder sucked. Very cool write up.

30. butti

butti

I would run em!