Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tunnel ram distributor clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dstangl, Apr 3, 2014.

1. dstangl

dstangl
    from central MN

Well I finally got the carbs rebuilt for my weiand tunnel ram and went too install it everything was looking good till I went to put my GM HEI distributor back in and it hits the back of the manifold. Grinding the back of the manifold seems like a bad idea and I don't know if that would be enough anyway. does anyone have any creative solutions or suggestions that wont cost hundreds I know a brand new MSD setup would fix it but well...$$$
    this is going on a 350 chevy in a 46 chevy truck

2. Small body distributor needed. The old points type that Big-Foot suggested can be found cheap and with a simple electronic conversion you are in for under $100. You will need a remote coil, it won't be built in like the HEI has.

3. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

MSD makes a "small diameter" distributor just for this reason. The reliability is worth the scratch. The next best thing is a points distributor with a pertonix kit like stated above. You'll always regret grinding that manifold.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Is it a very old dual carb manifold? I took a Weiand dual 4 barrel tunnel ram off a SBC that had been driving with HEI a few years ago just to salvage the manifold and sold it.

5. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

If budget is really a problem, just put a point distributor in.They were run like that for years,you can always upgrade to Petronix later on.

6. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Small case delco rebuilt with pertronix , cap and rotor ready to run ....$300

Bubbas

7. captmullette

captmullette

procomp, has what u need and reasonable........

8. dstangl

dstangl
    from central MN

Thanks for all the info so far I'd have to buy a used distributor, pertronix kit, and new cap would cost as much as a ready to run distributor from summit or MSD....anybody use those? pro comp was also mentioned? I don't want to go back to points partially because it's old and mostly because I have no experience with it

9. oldolds

oldolds

Dual Point! the only old school way to go! They can be dialed in for the r.p.m's a small block with 2 4's can make!

10. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ProComp distributors are shit.......

I use some of their stuff since I am cheap. Don't skimp on electronics. Let's see the situation unfold..........

Going down the highway at 65.

vroom....vroom......vroom......pop bang...fuck.....

"hey cool ride mister....what's wrong"

"oh, I have a sweet ride but deceided to save a couple bucks."

"see ya at the show."

"probably not......my odd ball, Made in China by a 12 year old girl distributor is shot."

28 Ford PU likes this.
  11. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I had the same issue, two engines running tunnel rams. I use Mallory Unilites.
    Screw points and condensers, that's for,well the other guys.

12. exactly!! :D