Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene Winfield custom found

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cabong, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Echs

Echs

Can't wait to see this running around town. In all honesty, the last time I saw a picture of Leland, he was hitting on my girlfriend. My two cents on the trim, I like the rendering with the spears in the opening and the beauty rings. As for the fade: This is one wild car from all angles, no matter the color. I wanna see it all in the Burple.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. I like the "burple" paint. Also, as far as a fade, obviously you don't want to go with a Jade-Idol type paint job, (it wouldn't be right if you are going for a mid-1950s style for the car) however, Gene could do a blend like what he did on Lanny Erickson's '56 Chevy, which I think would look nice.

Also, if you are contemplating scallops, I think you have to be very careful, because most people that do them these days can't really do them right. They are always thin, long, straight and angular. For this particular car, you've got to get them laid out like they actually did in the 1950s, rounded, curvy and with imaginative lines. And fades/fogging around the tips/edges! Good examples are the Ford convertible and Bill Wolfe's Mercury that Winfield himself built, or Connie Winkler's Oldsmobile convertible.

Lanny Erickson photos from Kustomrama.com, other photos from the Custom Car Photo Archive.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. cabong

cabong

Hey Echs, Great Stude!!!!!!! Needless to say, I'm a tad biased since my wife has a bitch'n Lark with a 289 Kettering and a 4-speed, and I drove a Wagonaire with a 289 Kettering/5-spd for several years. I see your critter on the street, and can't git over how great it looks, for such a humble beginning. As to hitting on your girlfriend, Leland is tall, broad shouldered, handsome (even at 87), has blue eyes that rival Paul Newman's, has more hair that I, and I suspect that seeing him even talking to sweetheart might have been intimidating. Leland's only true love, was his first, and still is, just that. You need to take a trip down to chat with him, just don't take your girlfriend (kidding on the girlfriend part).

4. cabong

cabong

Leland's Wayward Winfield Wondercruizer is ready for final black primer and blocking. It looks better than it has for a long time. Travis and crew are doing a great job, and putting in lots of hours. NOW!!!!! We're down to the shorties.......I keep thinking that the color is chosen, done. Then I get wobbly kneed. What if it isn't right. There's only one shot. I feel that the modifications and bodywork on Leland's ride speaks volumes. It is a true "radical Custom", period. Gene is all set to come up here in a couple weeks and paint. However, he wants to do a Winfield "fade". I'm not sure that this is what Leland wants, or what would look good on the car. The body mod's don't need to be accented. I'm going to put Leland and Gene together in a conversation, and see what comes out. The whole idea is to finish this great custom in the proper style that was trending at the time. That being 1956 to 1958. Maybe I'm just thinking too much. It would be great to have Gene do the paint, but Leland and Margene must have the last word.
    I'm probably rambling, but this final finish is so very important. I can't think of another custom that would be completed by the builder, 60 years later. How Kool is that?????

5. 62dartman

62dartman

WOW! I just spent hours going through this whole thread!! Amazing story/stories, the characters, the CAR!!! Now it's coming down to this "showdown" about the paint?!?!? You can't make this stuff up. Good on you for bringing it to us unworthy Hambers! Really looking forward to the finished product! Thanks guys!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Is the sample fender still in the works?

By the way, this is one of the most captivating threads on the HAMB! You've done a fantastic job helping Leland to realize his decades-old dream.

7. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Cabong, your last post has me laffin' my arse off. I keep picturing Gene standing around yakkin to all the ladies with Leland as his "wingman". :D

You ever think about doing the Winfield fade down low around the rockers?

Might make the custom seem like it's floating on air, yet keep the dignity that the dark burple will give the ride. The 2nd color would make or break it, so maybe an argent or something like that.

I dunno. Its late & my mind starts to wander.

Musing w da H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

If - and I emphasize IF - a fade is decided upon by Gene and Leland, you might consider the 1996 (?) Mazda Miata MX5 dark blue purple.

Maybe someone can post a couple of pics. I'm still figuring out this app. :eek:

9. cabong

cabong

Hood, deck, and small parts in black epoxy primer. Hot, Hot, Hot!!!!!!! Body gits the black squirt tomorrow. I gotta tellya, it looks pretty darned straight. Whatever the paint, it's gonna look hot......Now more blocking......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

11. What a story. Great thread.

Imagine two more than 80 years old guys discussing the color of a car they built 60 years ago. Priceless!

The primered parts look fantastic. This car will be a winner!

Greetings from Austria to Leland. I hope I will still be that cool when I reach his age.

12. let the fun begin! lookin great man!

13. Tanoki

Tanoki

Great progress guys!
    Leyland, i guess you are stoked seeing your car like this after all those years..
    Will you take it for cruises and go to meetngs when its done?

Greets from the Netherlands

Peace,
    Tanoki

14. [​IMG]

oh, and btw, NEW FAVORITE KUSTOM. this thing is sweet.. i think its being restored right now

15. cabong

cabong

Okay, just to remind all who are watching.....I am 70 years old, and so one can assume that I will forget things. Today, I left my camera in my wife's '55, so, no pics. However, I did remember to stop by Travis' shop, and couldn't believe my peepers. Leland's puky purple puddle jumper, is now a jaw dropping ebony jewel. But only 'till Monday. Then the blocking starts all over again. The black hardened primer is shiny, so it eliminates guide coating, and provides a wee glimpse into the overall finish. What a difference. This sublime slipper is absolutely stunning.
    I will post pics of it tomorrow, along with pics of the burple fender.

Now I am REALLY jazzzzed!!!!!!

16. Absolutely great, at this stage I can almost picture the car with out the camera.

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

A reminder from another 70 year old - Don't forget your camera...!!!

R-

18. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

We're waiting with baited breath! :)

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

I cant wait to see it!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. And I'm 68.

21. i think im just waiting with smelly breath:D

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  22. cabong

cabong

I gotta tellya, this is humbling......It has just sunk in, how absolutely Kool this topless temptress really is. I can understand how Leland had such a hard time bringing this project to a conclusion. I can only imagine how it just got better and better, and he wasn't sure how to write the last chapter. I reckon it just took a couple a gearheads that really appreciate not just customizing, but restyling. Making changes to enhance style, length, lowness and kool. Leland was stuck on the grille, and Nick and I simply tried to figure out what would look good at the time it was built. I showed these pics to Leland today, and I can't tell you how satisfied he is with the progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having this Chevrolowster in black reinforces our thoughts of a dark burple color. That with the wide whites, bright white top, and gobs of chrome should be downright sexy.

23. cabong

cabong

Now check this out......Travis is a well hidden master of many talents. As well as restorations and custom builds, he is a master metal fabricator (hello, Combined Metals). He says to me, I think the wee spears should be on the bottom, not in the side scoop. Okaaayy....He then says, I could make them out of stainless bar stock, waterjetted to shape, round the edges, then roll to fit the "buldge". Needless to say, all six would be shaped differently. He continues, then we weld studs on the back for mounting, and polish the dangerous daggers, which will give a finish that will match the Olds side trim. Sometimes I have to work real hard, to keep from disliking people with so damned much talent. But I maintain, and simply say, well, why aren't they done yet?
    Kudos to Travis and crew for their great work!!!!!!!!!

24. Torchie

Torchie

Gonna be amazing !!
    Torchie.

25. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Bravo Travis!

Saw Gene today in Austin. He seems stoked about painting it.

26. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I wasn't sure at first, but (for rear fender trim and spears) this one is the winner in my mind.

As for 3D printing the trim, that just doesn't suit this traditional build. I hope you can come up with some OEM spears from some 50s car.

Not that you asked. :rolleyes:

27. Damn that looks nice in satin black primer, I can't wait to see it glowing in all its blue and purple goodness!

28. Burple is cool...

[​IMG]

29. George

George

Yes!:)

30. one other thing to note is kustom fabbed parts were a big deal on cars back then. you were hot stuff if you had a custom made part. why? because no one else had one like it. i love one off pieces. because its really something special.

not that you asked or anything tho...:D