Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. noboD

noboD

He said he's OK.

2. fredvv44

fredvv44

Looking good Ade. I cannot imagine the excitement of the first drive!

3. PBrown

PBrown
    from Australia

Cyclecar, why not!What would you use for a gearbox/drive?

4. fredvv44

fredvv44

The Schasche would be a good candidate. It used a 500cc engine. Yours would look good.
    Fred

Attached Files:

5. fredvv44

fredvv44

6. Kume

Kume

A good example of thinking outside the box.

7. Kume

Kume

The Jap mower sold quickly so Its back searching for a cycle car power plant - He who hesitates bla bla bla ...

8. PBrown

PBrown
    from Australia

Yes, the old he who hesitates.You could try looking for Dennis mower they have about a 700cc motor, side valve and a lot of grunt.I have a few which i have thought about using.If it comes complete with cone clutch you might be able to incorporation that as well?

9. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

here is one i found on Facebook from a Rockford, IL history page called "Rockford Rocked"

[​IMG]

...and the accompanying history....
    "This photo was taken in front of Smith & Enanders Cycle Shop 114 N. Madison Street, Rockford, in the early 1900's (note Hap Enander standing in background). The car is handmade and used an Indian Motorcycle engine for power."
    Randy Moore - photo

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  10. ^^^Neat pic and history - thanks for sharing.

11. Zerk

Zerk

Would anyone care to speculate on what that Indian-powered cyclecar used for a brake? What a beaut!

12. SR100

SR100

Who needs brakes? Just throw it sideways. But my money is on a transmission brake. Is it a four or a Chief? I can't quite tell. Cool either way, though.

13. It's an Indian Four... :cool::cool::cool:

14. I wonder if this car ran a live axle like a go-kart? If so, there may be a brake on the left-hand side of the vehicle. It's output shaft is on the right-hand side, as per the standard Indian Four trans.

15. fredvv44

fredvv44

Lots of Austin 7 stuff has been posted here but I've not seen this link mentioned before. This is the Austin race car page and if you scroll down half way you will read about the AMAZING twin cam engine.
    http://www.austinmemories.com/page43/page43.html

Other interesting info on the site too.

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Pretty impressive little cars.

17. Krodista

Krodista
    from FL, USA

where do people source early motorcycle engines for a cyclecar? I have looked all over the web and cant seem to find anything. Are there sites notorious for such things? Inspired by the Grafton, Im contemplating making a cyclecar myself, but nothing can be done without a way to move it.

18. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

There is a special section at Walmart. You have to know who to ask. Either you have one or you run across one through friends, swap meets or internet searches. Forums dedicated to these engine/cars might have a classified section. That is the whole reason these are talked about. Increasingly hard to find these engines and you may have to pay top dollar for one. Ever watch American Pickers?

19. Krodista

Krodista
    from FL, USA

yes, I am a huge fan of american pickers.

My question is more to find specifics rather than generally. I have looked around the web for such engines, but havent had much luck at all. Mostly Im hoping someone can point me in the direction of a specific website or websites to check out which regularly/occasionally have such engines.

I have also been looking for Morgan 3 wheeler project cars, though those are few and far between and often grossly overpriced.

20. The best thing you can do, Krodista, is to get to know folk who mess around with old sickel engines. as a lot of cool stuff doesn't necessarily made it onto eBay, Craigslist, et al.

These same people will also help you with any technical info you might require...

I've been around the old vehicle hobby and, especially, hot rodding for virtually my entire life (I'm in my 60s) and am speaking from experience. I've owned some pretty interesting machinery over the years that were never sold on the open market. :D

21. chrisp

chrisp

I know of a guy who's got a dozen cycle engines but they're 50-125cc from the 50's, way too small for cycle cars, he's collecting them for years, complete motorcycles too and he ain't restoring anything, figures. I also know of a Hispano Suiza V8 from a WWI plane that ain't for sale, if it was, it would already be mine... It would be a perfect sick cycle car engine. How do people end up with this kind of stuff?

22. Airhead Roadster

Airhead Roadster

23. robbovius

robbovius

24. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Keep a look out on smokestak.com its all antique engine related stuff. Shouldnt be too hard to find something suitable

25. PBrown

PBrown
    from Australia

Your in America, lots more there than any were in the world I would think.Norton, BSA, triumph,Velocete or any of the Brittish singles or even a early Harley motor??

26. fredvv44

fredvv44

you are in Fl. so look up Florida Flywheelers, they have a big swapmeet in Feb. maybe another one too. also in Zepherhills there is a huge old engine swapmeet. Lots of stuff in Fl. to find. There are vintage races, Datona bike week...

27. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

On the Jappic I have used old skool Go kart technology , 1 inch rear axles come up on eBay and are cheap,
    I am using self aligning kart bearings for the solid rear axle , as for brakes I,m using Austin 7 parts as they are period common and reliativly cheap , I'm currently adding all the parts for a drum on both sides but suspect one drum will be enough , as it has a solid axle balancing the brakes isn't going to be much of a worry

28. fredvv44

fredvv44

You made me think of other parts here in the states. The Crosley was similar to the Austin in size and there were many specials built from those parts. A guy used to live near me that had a 1/4 midget racer built with Crosley parts and there were SCCA racing sports cars built from them too.

29. Krodista

Krodista
    from FL, USA

thanks for the advice on the site Porsche930dude, Ill check that out.

Fredvv44 - Bike week is actually not terribly far from me (2 hours or so), but its a mess if you have ever been near daytona at that point and finding something old amongst all the much newer bikes is massively hit or miss. Florida Flywheelers certainly sounds like an awesome thing though which I need to check into. Glad I asked!

30. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Like this one?
    [​IMG]

The Crosley's 80" wheelbase is comparable to the post-Vintage Austin 7, as well as the pre-war Morris Minor, the very first MG Midgets, the Fiat 500 "Topolino", and several other small British and Continental cars (the '23-'30 Austin 7 was a bit shorter at 75"). It had a front beam axle on parallel leaf springs, though the engine was suspended over the axle in the post-war style, giving a pig-like aspect to the bare chassis. The Crosley might arguably have the most interesting engine of the lot.