Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Portland Swap Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Half-Fast Motors, Mar 20, 2014.

1. AMEN! Looks like Helly Hansen will be a man's best friend this weekend.

2. We're always at Vintiqes but I don't think we brought a door. We had an open house & there was some door skins we made around. We always have a booth in the dome there was an almost finished green '48 Chevy pickup in it last year.

3. silversink

silversink

I think I will sell rain gear and umbrella's this year

4. bt34

bt34

How come there are 2 goodsized swapmeets on at the same time??
    Or are they jointly owned and need the space or buildings ??

Would they not have better patronage if they were held on separate weekends ??

5. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Good news, you won't need to bring your umbrella.... because we are inside this year:p We are in Hall B as you are heading into hall A next to the old bathrooms. Come buy and say Hi.

6. The two events have been together most of the last 40 years and have become sort of an annual "Pilgrimage" for a lot of us in the NW, like a smaller version of Hershey. Splitting them, in my opinion, would probably cut attendance more than half for each as many of us can only justify one such trip, often from hundreds or thousands of miles away, each year.
    Each venue has a unique flavor too. PIR is mostly grass roots hoarders like me who need to make room for more stuff. The Expo is more organized, has WAY more rules, and caters very well to more folks who make a lot of their living vending at swap meets. It's the best "junk drunk" of the year up here! It takes me weeks to recover to a logical train of thought after searching 15-20,000 booths for that one "treasure" I know is there waiting for me.

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

They need two because one wont hold all the vendors. The Expo was the original, and PIR came later as overflow from all the demand from more vendors for a stall. All the Expo spaces were accounted for each year, and no new vendors could get in. So they started using PIR as overflow, and people liked the fact they could set up and camp out in their RV or trailer. Eventually PIR got so large that it was more than the club could monitor along with Expo, so they turned loose and the managers of PIR took over the swap meet there.
    Since the two meets have different starting dates a day apart, it doesn't hurt attendance by having overlapping days in the rest of the meet. We always hit PIR on Thu. when it opens, then Expo on Fri. when it opens.
    They're similar, but still quite different. Some vendors prefer the more orderly setup at Expo, while others like the "shoot from the hip" style at PIR. I have noticed that the PIR swap meet has been reeled in a bit from the chaos of previous years. No more crazies running around on dirt bikes through the crowd, or high speed launches through the crowds. In past years I've been clipped by these dumb asses, and no way to catch them to drag their sorry butt off their bikes! It feels a lot safer walking at PIR now.

8. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

This is the 50th year for the Portland Swap Meet. In the early 1970's the meet moved to it's current location at the Portland Expo Center (PEC). By the late 1980's the traffic and parking became such a problem that they added parking at nearby Portland International Raceway (PIR) and they bused attendee's back and forth. What started as their additional parking lot with a few concessions, it turned into an added venue for the meet and it became huge at least for the area. Then in the late 1990's the Expo Center expanded and the Portland Swap Meet consolidated their event and pulled out of PIR. When this happened, a new swap meet was started at PIR in about 1998. The PIR Auto Swap is Thursday through Saturday and the Portland Swap Meet is Friday through Sunday; which helps with some of the traffic. There are shuttles going back and forth between the two events, so getting around is a lot easier than it sounds. I usually set up my spaces at the Expo Center early Thursday and then go down to the PIR Auto Swap for the rest of the day. But at either place, you could spend all three days looking.

One of the downsides of the swap meet at PIR, is if it rains and you are walking around the track there is almost no where to escape the rain. At the Expo Center, there are buildings that you can go in.

9. tkmark

tkmark
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

Anybody going to be selling Rebel wire harnesses and Fat Mat at the swap meet?

10. I did see the pickup, fantastic workmanship on that. The guy I had talked to was in front of your pickup and he seamed to know a lot about it. Did that pickup go to SEMA last year?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. I don't have the Fat Mat brand but have sound dampening material I could ship to you.

12. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

I love when it rains as everybody comes inside and the foot traffic inceases for us selling folks!

13. bt34

bt34

Thanks for the reply's guys..It's much appreciated.
    I am in NZ and am making a plan for next year..:)

From post 38

14. rusty bill

rusty bill

I will be in building D spaces 3086 and 3087. Stop by and say hi. Hambers get a free 8x11 sign for your booth or man cave while 32 of them last.

15. It might have been me or one of my guys. I was at SEMA in the car crazy display & recently at the Portland Roadster show.

16. april may

april may

I'll be in Hall D, #3316 selling art, but wish I could go shopping instead for my Lincoln!

17. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

Just a heads up that we'll be there, talking gauges and shaking hands. We're going low key this year and buddying up with some friends near slot #6081. Look for a banner that reads "GAUGES". Hope to see you all. Be well.

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just got back from PIR swap meet! WOW! As good as ever and some amazing deals! One of my friends bought a nearly rust free'35 Plymouth coupe for $1500! Missing the front sheetmetal, and engine/trans, but what a bargain! Then around the other end of the meet my other buddy buys a '34 Plymoth coupe that's equally rust free, with a complete Street Beast custom chassis, MII front suspension, and 9" Ford rear axle, for just over $3k!
    I got a couple small items at very nice prices, but no room around here for any more major car project purchases! Rain held off all day, and it was very comfortable in the high 50's! My feet are killing me, and hope I make it through all day at the Expo tomorrow!

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The best deals at PIR are always early on Thursday or on Wednesday night when guys are inline moving their stuff in and want a few extra bux in their pocket for looking themselves. o
    You used to see guys buy stuff on Wedneday night or Thursday morning at the race track and have it in their booth at the Expo at double the price on Friday but I think the asking prices have leveled out some now.
    I won't make it down this year. The pieces I really need are outside my current hot reserve fund that took a hit with a couple of purchases lately.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  20. Coupe Deluxe

Coupe Deluxe

Pretty slim pickings for pre war ford and flathead stuff at PIR this year

21. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

I was thinking to many people are watching American pickers.....or just like to haul there treasures around.

22. Any one else wanna post the deals they got today? How about some pics?? I'm driving up late tomorrow afternoon and I'm so excited I can't sleep!

23. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

[​IMG]

New shop truck.......

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My two tiny purchases were a 2 gal. Eelco "moon" tank for $20 in great shape, and a Moon gas pedal for $10!

25. tkmark

tkmark
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

Here's my PIR find...the other one had a bullet hole in it :D

Attached Files:

26. Haha sounds like PIR to me! Love it!!

Don't buy up all of the cool cheap shit guys, I don't get to be there until Saturday morning :(

27. Best damn swap meet I've ever been to. Too bad it's not easier for me to go.

28. 52hotrod

52hotrod

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396666937.694565.jpg

29. 52hotrod

52hotrod

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396666963.520450.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396666979.519809.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396666996.360933.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396667009.394917.jpg

30. 52hotrod

52hotrod