Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Thompson Shoebox Ford Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el diablo, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

You are right if busy enough it won't matter! Sleddd's light blueish with the greenish yellow flames still has them too I had to look again to see them. One bonus of the 51 hinges is if you use the springs on the hinges you don't need to pull it up because it pushes itself up I removed them before I found a 51 deck lid but plan to put them back when I get settled into the new house. There's a video of me driving back from mooneyes with my deck lid in the air because when I hit a bump it would pop the stock 50 latch.
    http://youtu.be/CCmagjaZ878

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Thats a quick vid mr dickies but its cool that you get to enjoy your car and not just work on it like some of us…. HAHA

Here is a little progress this afternoon. I filled and peaked the hood. Its not a flat peek and if I decide I don't like it I can do a little filler work and make it flat. So far I like it as its a little different than I'm used to seeing.I still have to finish the grinding,fix a little rust spot, and bang out a few dents, then the hood is good to go. I also picked up some copper tubing for hard line for the air ride and had my air tank mounts moved by a buddy of mine today so the petcock will face down when I mount it where I want it. The tank is aluminum and I only have a mig welder and steel skills at this point plus it only cost me a six pack.. Thanks Travis!

Attached Files:

3. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Peak is done. Its a little higher than just a V but i figure if I grow to hate it before bodywork is done I can just fill it and make a V. I also just started mock up on the air tank and what not in the trunk so I will post pics when I figure out how I want shit.

Attached Files:

4. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I did it the same way! Great job moving a long on your ride! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393250475.016342.jpg

5. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Thanks Mr Dickies. Do you have a build on your car? I have an extra trunk handle by the way that you can have if you wanna try to shrink it or whatever?

Pretty soon im gonna have a solid week or so to devote to my car so I should make some big progress then.

6. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I have a build thread it's just been my son and I cruising taking pictures in North Jersey lately I'll be back on things soon.
    I have a stock 50 one and the one that came with my 51 $25 deck lid I bought.

7. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Started mock up on the compressors for the air ride this afternoon. I moved them all over the trunk and liked this the best. I think I'm gonna ditch the stainless braided lines so all the lines in the trunk match. The big square holes up top are for bag access in case something happens on the road and I can't get under the car I can access the lines to the bags from behind the back seat. Im gonna make inserts that I will cover the holes with and also make a beauty panel in the trunk so you won't see them.

Attached Files:

8. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Well the guy that owns the car I'm working on ran out of money:mad: Guess it happens when you media blast something and a good portion of the car turns out to be worse than expected..(basically the whole rear section of the car minus the trunk lid) So I figure while I finnish up some little side work and find a new car to work on, I'm gonna work my shoebox as much as I can before I run out of money to pay bills and the wife throws me out. HAHA.

Here are my efforts from today. I wasted half the day running around this morning but any day I get to work on my car is a good day.I should be able to finish up in the trunk by tomorrow I hope, and then move on to the rest of the air install. I attached a picture of my idea that I photoshopped for the lines and what I came up with. Its nice to have a plan.

Attached Files:

9. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

The copper lines look good. I'm diggin them

10. EBW

EBW

That is Clean !! I like the copper lines.

Its hard to tell from the pics, but are the compressors off the trunk floor ?
    Only reason I ask is mine get pretty damn hot and would melt the floor if I run them for a long time.

11. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Thanks guys. I'm doing conventional style tubing to the manifolds but I wanted to do something cool in the trunk. Yeah the compressors are mounted to my notch cover and are off the floor.

Attached Files:

12. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Looks great !!! Can you take some close ups? I'm about to tackle my wife's bag set up. I love the look of yours. Are you going to run a manifold or valves? I need some ideas she has valves but I might swap to a manifold later. It's just a temporary set up now to move it in and out of the garage and help get it on the transporter for shipping it to North Jersey.

13. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Hey Mr Dickies.

Im using manifolds for just front and back. I figure if I wanted to I could add two more and have fbss later on. Here is a pick of the ones I'm running. My local guys sells them for 75 I'm sure you could find them cheaper if you looked.

Attached Files:

14. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Here are my finished trunk hard line pics with some progress pics. I changed it up a little form the original idea. I bent up a line with a big roll on top and it just looked wrong so I went back to the drawing board. I also wanted to hide the pressure switch but putting it behind the tank looked like I put it behind the tank with lines to nowhere so….. I bent up some new lines and made them "plug into the car" so to speak so the lines go somewhere and I can hide all the rest of the crap on the back of the cover.:D The brass fittings are heavy and I have no idea if the line would support the weight of a fitting hanging out in space after a few good bumps on the road so I used grommets that the fittings fit into to pass it through the panel. The grommets will hold fittings and keep the line in place. I have no idea if any of this shit is gonna work but it sure looks cool!HAHA.

Attached Files:

15. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

More form today.

Attached Files:

16. EBW

EBW

Damn I hope that works because its looks sick !!
    Very cool set up

17. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Can you message me the guys info or post it on here if you don't mind. I have her valves from 10 years ago and want to upgrade it for her. Her set up was one each front bag and one for both rear bags.

18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I like the way you set it all up - very cool-looking .

19. coronetfreak

coronetfreak

Love the air line setup

20. pointer-1

pointer-1

This is an amazing thread. The work is great and easy to understand the skill involved.
    I do however have some questions that you may be able answer.
    1 How much ground clearance do you have on the gas tank and how much is the drop from stock.
    2 I am going to install a triangulated 4 link coil-over rear end to try to match the 5 inch I ended up with in the front with motor in. Do I need to install a C-notch?

These may be dumb questions but I would like to save some time rather than do the old trial and error method I usually use.
    This is my most aggressive build and the inspiration from this sight keeps adding tings to try.
    Keep the great work going I am enjoying it.

21. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Whats up Pointer-1. Thanks for the kind words it defiantly keep me motivated to get this car on the road! Having my own questions and finding some of the answers here is one of the reasons I stated my thread.
    As for your questions…
    My gas tank sits a little over 1/2 inch off the ground. I figured that would be enough to clear some small objects or rocks or whatever might be on the ground when the air is out, plus shit happens and I'm not gonna drag my gas tank trying to get out of the street if the bags fail for some reason. If you just cut a hole and drop it in like most guys do it will be way up off the ground and you should be good to go.

With your suspension your gonna have to take the leafs and everything out for the mock up anyway so your gonna know if you need to notch it when you mock everything up. Im not sure what my drop from stock is but I have a tall step notch so even aired up with the 9" bag height the car still sits pretty low in the rear. The other issues your gonna have trying to get it low are the rear pumpkin hitting the floor and the driveline hitting the rear frame brace that goes across. I don't know what stock ride hight was but it just depends on your static hight and how much travel your coil overs are gonna have which should be too much I would imagine. Any more questions just pm me and ill be glad to let you know what I did.

I have been working on the car a bit but my 4th iPhone took a shit so I should have a new one on wends day so ill post some progress then.

-Dane

22. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Here is a small update on my car. I mounted the trunk latch (Thanks again beyond static!) and welded up some damage on my roll pan and fixed some old patch work that I did a few years back…. its nice to have tools now. I have to figure out my grill situation and fit the sheet metal better before I can brake stuff down and start any sort of body work. I will also have to blast my parts again and strip the car for a re-prime as well…. wish I had a larger garage and my car could stay in doors till it was done.

I also went down to the paint shop and had my local guy mix me up some color so I shot my air cleaner with it as a tester. It's the second orange color I have tried and I dig it. The first one was too dark and fell flat with out sunlight. I have a long way to go before paint but I want to make sure of the color before I wast all that money and then hate it in a month… HAHA.

Attached Files:

23. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I have a 7 inch drop in the back with no notch. 4" drop springs and 3 " blocks. I had 4" blocks but it would bump the crossmember with a full tank of gas when I hit the speed bumps on my old street I might go back to 4" blocks some day and fix crossmember.

24. sillyasianz

sillyasianz

D A M N. This build is AMAZING! I love those copper lines. Motivation to throw more money and time in my 50 shoebox.

25. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Thanks sillyasianz I'm glad my work motivates you….. Cool posts by people like you help motivate me as well.

Work has stopped for now due to my compressor taking a shit last week. I then decided to drywall my garage and put up new lighting while I wait for my new compressor to come in. Should be here tomorrow so fingers are crossed. I do have some cool new parts for the box tho that I will share this week.

26. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

So my compressor blew up (120 gallon 1943 westinghouse monster) and I'm in the middle of drywalling my "shop" till my new compressor gets here. Man I like drywall a lot less than working on cars thats for sure, so if you do drywall for a living my hat is off to you!

I also got the dual carb set up I did work for about a year ago…. I was going to run them on the shoebox but might just bag them up and shove them in the closet till I can put a model A or some sort of hot rod under them??? I need to rebuild the carbs at some point as well. Yes the manifold is black but its the original.

Should have the drywall up by tomorrow and the new compressor as well. My friend Rick is gonna come over sunday and wire up some new lighting and my compressor so I should be up and running by Monday fingers crossed.

I also got a hamb friendly car to build (51 studibaker) but the guy wants billet wheels and such so I wont be dong a build on it but maybe one of these days ill talk someone into letting me do a traditional style custom for them and its on.

Thanks for the support guys and I will post more on here when can get back on the shoebox.

Attached Files:

27. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I've hung sheet rock for a living it's better than being a taper. Taping is an art form. By trade I'm a finish carpenter but now working as a framer. I'd much rather be a metal fabricator building Kustoms. Hurry up and get back to the build.

Ps refuse to install the billet rims! Tell him you're allergic to billet like I am!

28. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

I have to skip the tape and mud cuz I'm out of time. I'm gonna do a quick paint and prime on all the walls and ceiling and call it good. Its not the inside of my house, and it started out as busy work anyway till it turned into a project.... I need to get back to work on monday so I have not time to wait for dry wall mud to dry. Plus my compressor is here so no more time for screwing around since I have air again.

Talk to you guys soon..

29. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

You can use 40 minute mud or 20 or if you like to live on the edge 5 minute but you have to work so fast it gets the blood pumping!

30. Rathbone

Rathbone