Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead fan/nos electrical???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jamesd1502, Apr 2, 2014.

1. jamesd1502

jamesd1502
    from san diego

Just found this fan. Never seen one before. Anybody familiar with this?

Attached Files:

2. jamesd1502

jamesd1502
    from san diego

Another pic

Attached Files:

3. Looks more like a wire for a sensor. HRP

4. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

looks like it may be an electric fan clutch

5. I think so too.........

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any markings? Nowadays you see a lot of small alternators built into the fan assembly, expecially on small diesel tractors and such. But I'm certain they didn't have such a thing back in the day, given the lack of control electronics and whatnot.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It is an authentic Ford Approved accessory to fit '42-48 Fords, released around 1946 and in the catalog. It had a zingy name like "Electromatic" or something in the ads. The kit can be ordered at your Ford dealer as 59A-8665, unless he is out of stock...
    It is controlled by a little thermo sensor that inserts into the lower radiator base the same way as the heater hookup in those years.
    I think, but I'm not sure, that the innards are not a moving clutch but an electro- magnetic sludge that solidifies when fed electricity.
    I've got one, and have posted my successful search for the sensor...which involved paranormal intervention, for sure!

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

From an old post of mine...I was hunting for a sensor, but the sensor was apparently hunting for me!

"I used to have one lacking the essential sender unit...leading up to a true story of the weird and paranormal:
    Joblot used to allow me past the counter so I could spend hours hunting through their shelves for stuff I wanted (THAT was a serious privilege, poking through a vast heap of NOS Fordage gathered from all over the world!).
    One day, as I walked down an electrical shelf, a piece fell off the topmost rack and actually hit me on the head. I picked it up and found myself holding the sender I needed! I crawled up and went through the upper shelves to reunite it with its fan, but there was no fan...they had only exactly what I needed, and of course I bought it for a buck or two... "

9. How about a picture of that sensor in case something similar happens to me so I'll be able to identify it?

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

As I recall, it looked like a Bakelite mushroom. I think there is a good pic from a Ford flyer in the '46-48 book, "Closing the years of tradition."
    I suspect that the sensor could be replaced with a streetrod electric fan control...trust me, you'll never find another original! I just happened to meet one that was looking for me.