Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects radiator for 40 Ford coup ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steve Fritz, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Steve Fritz

Steve Fritz
    from wisconsin

I will be mocking up the engine compartment on my 40 Ford coup project next week , and need some ideas on what radiator to use. This is a 302/C4 project into a 40 coup. I have Chassis Engineering front engine cradle with Mustang II suspension.
    If anybody has recently done this swap , what radiator did you use and supplier source to get it.?? Also, any ideas on the rad core support and mounting tips ??
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. Radiators are subjective,the traditionalist will say copper/brass like the original,a lot of guys will say aluminum which is cheaper.

I personally have used aluminum but they look too street roddy for me.

I have 3 hot rods and all three use copper/brass (Walker Radiator),one of which is now 18 years old with never a problem. HRP

3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

A radiator for a mid-late 60s mustang will work, too.

4. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Core support? Two tabs on bottom attach to frame pads, two braces to inner fender panels mounts it. I have used several Walkers with never a problem. Is the firewall recessed for the Ford motor? Or are you using some of the newer front engine components for more room?

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Amen! I use the stock copper radiators. I do not like aluminum radiators and electric fans. It took me a while to find a nice 56 Ford V8 radiator when an aluminum one was just a phone call and credit card away...I'm glad that I was patient. JMHO

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Copper/brass--Walkers for me

7. 40_tudor

40_tudor

I'm using a PRC aluminum radiator in my 40 Tudor. Works great, runs a little cool for my fuel injected motor though, about 175deg with a 190deg thermostat. That&#8217;s a good problem to have I suppose.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I jump the fan relay once in a while to make sure the fan still works. It will warm up to about 200-210 in heavy stop and go traffic.<o:p></o:p>

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

The walkers are a nice as they come but at half the price I just got a custom built aluminum from Brice Thomas Radiator.

9. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

10. As has been said a 64-65-66 Mustang radiator with inlet and outlets set for your motor would work just fine. My 40 Pickup project is presently getting one with 4.3/T350. Since the 4.3 came out of a vehicle with an aluminum radiator I am going to try one. There are so many pros and cons that it's hard to tell what will be. But for $130 I'll give it a whirl .....

11. I have radiator out of my 39 merc has been recorded so no orig split in middle like genny if you want to go that way its very cheap

12. Steve Fritz

Steve Fritz
    from wisconsin

Thanks for all the input so far. Hamtown and TomT...... are you saying the early Mustang stock radiator fits into the stock 40 Ford engine compartment space??? Did you fabricate up the mounting brackets on the top end off the inner fender metal? Any pictures??
    Thanks !
    Steve

13. no55mad

no55mad

Merc 39 - is your radiator for a flathead or OHV motor? Your pm is blocked here.

14. Steve Fritz

Steve Fritz
    from wisconsin

this is an engine swap project , I am using a Ford 302 V8 from the mid 80's.

Thanks,
    Steve

15. CFster

CFster

All else being equal, copper conducts heat better than aluminum. Everybody is on an aluminum radiator kick since the racers started using them - because of weight savings, not because they cool better.

I use a Walker copper in our '40 Coupe with SBC, and it runs about 10 degrees cooler than the flathead with aluminum radiator in our '40 Convertible.

16. Firecat7

Firecat7

OMG....no walker needed....as, hamtown said the stang 4 cores for about 200 bucks work great, minor fabwork....to mount. unless you want a showstopper with inlimited budget, forget the big boys. alum rads from speedway...or????? will work too....:eek:

17. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I've had great luck with Walker and never had an overheating issue. This is not an area to take the cheap way out. Gary

18. LongT

LongT

Do you have the C series - Cobra or the Z- series?

Bill

19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Here's the mustang radiator in my 40 pickup with some mounting braces visible along with the shroud. Note I'm using a mechanical fan. The truck runs cool. Hope this helps. Hamtown

Attached Files:

20. genosslk

genosslk

I too chose a Brice Thomas aluminum Radiator to replace my stock recored brass money pit radiator. Just by changing the radiator I dropped 20 degrees out of the heat and changed nothing else.
    I now run too cool and will change the thermostat to a 195. I am very happy with their product and it was built to my exact standards with them sending me a complete drawing with all measurements before they built it. Very good product with great customer service.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  21. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

heres some pics of the rad I used for my 40 sedan with a 289 c4

superior radiator,
    mt clemens,Michigan
    ask for chuck

Attached Files:

22. no55mad

no55mad

Merc 39 - still can't respond as you are blocked. Please email with contact info.

23. big bad john

big bad john

Walker radiator in my 39 and 40 ford coupes....no prolbem