Register now to get rid of these ads!

History yesteryears fillin stations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by breeder, Oct 28, 2006.

1. biscaynes

biscaynes

???

Attached Files:

2. biscaynes

biscaynes

3. biscaynes

biscaynes

more B/A...

Attached Files:

4. biscaynes

biscaynes

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Aetna Station Middletown, KY and my 63 BelAir.

Attached Files:

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Drove past this old station between Houston and College Station, Texas. Had to stop and take a picture.

Attached Files:

7. 41 C28

41 C28

Old filling station in S.E. Ohio.

Attached Files:

8. havi

havi

is it closed up? or still used for something? Pretty cool nonetheless.

9. biscaynes

biscaynes

B/A station early '60s and now....

Attached Files:

10. My old local (pic taken in 53) gas station, it was sad to watch a bulldozer flatten it in 67 to make way for modern new one. I used to get cool stickers from there on my way home from school. JW
    [​IMG]

11. brad2v

brad2v

[​IMG]

Eamon's Camp was a service station/camping area in Calgary, Alberta. Long closed, it sat idle until city expansion has reached it. To the point that a transit station is planned for it's original location. The city has moved the building and the signage. I understand with the intent to incorporate the signage, and possibly the building, into the train station. They did try to sell the building as well, but as far as I know, have met with no success. It won't fit in my yard, lol.

12. jms

jms
    from Chicago IL

I recently did some work in Odell Illinois, where there is this beautifully restored 1932 Standard Oil station.

Attached Files:

13. abc123

abc123

Here's my HO scale scratchbuilt model of a station in 1939.
    [​IMG]
    I photographed and measured the actual station in Echo Park (north of downtown Los Angeles, CA) in the early '80s then backdated it with Gilmore signs/colors and vehicles. The model is exactly to scale -- I didn't compress the dimensions or leave anything out. I happened to meet the station's owner who confirmed that it was built pre-war but didn't know what brand of gas that it sold then.

At the upper left is a stalled car with a smoke generator hidden under it to make it "steam" while a guy is removing the radiator cap as his buddy looks on. Above the gas station is a little junk yard and to the right is a partial view of a machine/welding/repair shop.

14. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Nice station, it would probably sell for cheap.
    [​IMG]<br />

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  15. This is a Restored Richfield station from 1932 in Colinga Ca

Attached Files:

16. 41 C28

41 C28

Here is an old gas station in Geneva, Ne. under restoration in a photo I took in 2012. I found a completed picture of it on Google Map Street View last night ,located at G and 8th street in Geneva, Nebraska.

Attached Files:

17. dan ostwick

dan ostwick

4tford
    Where in Dearborn was the station that you sent the pic of? My dad had a Mobil with a big repair shop in Dearborn at Warren and Kendal. In the 1950's he used to park his midget race car outside to attract attention. Midgets were big then.

Dan

18. Starlight53

Starlight53

Maybe about as gone as they come but still leaving traces... Found on a US route.

Attached Files:

19. biscaynes

biscaynes

another B/A, smaller station...

Attached Files:

20. 4tford

4tford

The station was on Miller road and Hemlock It was a Pure Gas station and at one time it was a texaco. I use to work at dependable parts and probably delivered parts to your dads station back in 1965.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  21. JD Miller

JD Miller

[​IMG]
    I have two of these old green porcelain lights too. Mine are round angled bell not flattened like those. Thought they were off a old roadside sign maybe. Conduit is longer in a "s" shape and 90 degree cast cap going into the bell

22. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Thanks for all the great posts so far! Gives me inspiration to finish up my gas station build!!

23. My family has owned a filling station in Sioux Falls, SD on 10th and Blauvelt since the forties. My cousin now runs it, doesn't have pumps in front anymore, but he still has the original lift in it and he uses it everyday. He still has to grab the car as it lifts so the car will stay pointing forward. He just informed me he is selling the place and I am going to see if I can buy the building and have it taken down brick by brick and then have shipped out here to CA. I will try to get pictures. My other uncle ran a filling station in a small town in Colorado, waiting to here from my cousin the name of the town. In the eighties they had one pump and it was the style where you had to fill the globe before pumping into the vehicle.

24. stewdecky

stewdecky
    from Kansas

Here's a couple from the old days in southeast kansas

Attached Files:

25. The one was in Orchard, CO. My cousin is looking for pictures

26. The Keyman's gas station at 10th and Blauvelt has been a landmark for hot rods in Sioux Falls for decades. Jim was a friend and until his untimely death, that corner was center of NSRA style street rodding in the 70's and 80's. Your cousin Joey has taken high performance hot rodding to a whole new level with his state of the art Excessive Autosports business. Check out what he can do here: https://www.facebook.com/ExcessiveAutosports. He really could use some more room too. Jim would be so proud of Joey and what he has done. Good luck on saving the building, I can barely remember it in its original form from the 60's when Jim still pumped gas there.

[​IMG][​IMG]

27. Thanks for the pictures. Joey and I have had some great memories at the shop. When the back shop went up that was the day when we knew the street rod business was going to go big time. We built Scott Nelson's first street rod in the back shop then we didn't think that car was going to go national and get plastered all over magazine pages. When we were barely teenagers everyone thought we were brothers. Heck, Uncle Jim and Aunt Barb were my second parents. I lived at there house as much as I did at my parents house. My grandparents owned the house behind the shop until they passed, then Uncle Jim bought it. I am glad he left the shop sign up on the street and the muffler sign also. Joey and I talk almost daily. This why I want to get the building if it all works out I would like both buildings.

28. There is a lot of memories in that station for sure. I know Scott "Scooter" Nelson and Ross Ortman too. Ross started Dakota Digital after Jim suggested he could sell the digital gauges he had built and helped him get a booth at the Street Rod Nationals. My friend Emery bought the '47 Ford convertible Jim was building that was in the back shop. I bought Jim's glass Mullins trailer from Barb too. Time sure has flown by!

29. I'm still looking for a pic of my (Norm's) Texaco station in Mountain Home, Arkansas. I ran it in the mid-1970's. It was at the southeast corner of Rt62 and Buzzard Roost road. Really! It had been previously run by Clark Rawlings for decades. I believe Claude Hogan owned the property. There is a bank drive-thru center there now. The Baxter County Historic Society doesn't have any, and the bank didn't respond to my inquiry.

30. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Found this one on the net. Liked it because it could be my speed shop!!

Attached Files: