Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help with hydraulics

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 57MoreDoor, Mar 22, 2014.

1. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

Yes they're traditional, Bill Hines used them, we all know that! I'm looking at putting an aircraft setup just to raise when needed. I haven't read or heard anything about if they reinforced frames or suspension back then. As much as I love tradition, I also love my car. So my question is do I need reinforcing on anything for this?

2. You didn't mention what car you're planning on installing them,so I'm assuming you're talking about a 57 chevy bel air.
    Reinforcement is not to much of a big deal if it's going to be used casually.
    I have Hydros on my truck and for the first couple years I ran off of the main battery. It was slow but did the job.
    It's going to be tough man If you're gonna look for some old school aircraft setup. You really need to know what you're looking for.

3. 1958 IMPALA

1958 IMPALA
    from CA

Give me a call if you like I would be glad to help you. I "lifted" my first car in 1971, and my co. is Adex.
    Andy (626) 296-4000

[​IMG]

4. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

Yes going on a 57 BelAir. Stock frame, with leaf springs.

Thanks Andy that'd be great. Can you get texts too?

5. That '58 is firme!

I want to lift my '56 bad with an aircraft setup so hopefully some guys will chime in.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I saw this was deleted... And I I deleted it. Hydros were late in the game we focus on, but they were in the game.

7. iarodder

iarodder

Just to answer your question, I had a 3 pump 8 battery set up in a 1960 Impala years ago and the frame was not reinforced. I drove it for years that way with no issues, but I wasn't beating on it either. Good luck.

8. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

Cool. This would be single pump two batteries since the aircraft motor is 24v. Heard it might be slow but should be fine with me. Thanks for the help.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. ryno

ryno

you'll get more info out of a forum like lay it low.
    that said, i love juice. i thank Ryan for keeping this open, hopefully some more aircraft knowledge will be shared here.

another choice to conciter is maybe going with a modern set up , but run a #4 gear, so it spins slower and requires less battery. i ran some on a 64 wagon before.
    there is a few people out the doing modern aircraft set ups too.

your stock frame will be fine if you just lay and play, meaning no hoping and 3 wheel, or run a 3 ton coil. stock spring rates, shocks on all corners, 24 volts, you'll be golden.

10. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Why not run one pump and manifold set up it would be small enough to hide away like Ryno said slow it down with the gear.is the aircraft set up just to be more traditional ?

Jake

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`ve have had(and still do) my standard setup on my car for 27 years. Just 2 batteries, slow moving so you can control where it stops. Even when driving down the highway doing 70. I 0nce read about a guy who liked three-wheel`in, he replaced 3 frames in 10 years. The only issue I had was that an upper A-arm broke loose where it bolts to the frame. That was 3 years ago. I think hydraulics is more traditional than airride.

12. 57MoreDoor

57MoreDoor
    from CC,TX

Yes I'd like to thank Ryan as well for keeping the thread open, so Ryan, thank you.

I'm a member of lay it low, haven't posted about the subject yet but everything I seem to read there, is if it has hydraulics something radical has to be done. With the exception of some members, most think if it has hydros it has to have 4 batteries per pump, a fully reinforced frame and all that non sense. No thanks, lay and play is all I'm after. I do like bags, but as far as tradition, I believe aircraft is more traditional than bags, although I heard the Ala Kart had bags, but I haven't read into it. About modern hydraulics, Ive heard aircraft is more reliable but I'm not sure. I do know an aircraft setup can be pricey! But that aircraft pesco pump sound is killer!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  13. iarodder

iarodder

I will say that mine did a monster 3 wheel, (which was my favorite thing to do) zero frame reinforcements.....I just didn't beat on it. Glad they decided to keep this open its a good topic. Might be a lil out of the norm but they go back a ways with juice...

14. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I had juiced 64 Biscayne in high school without any frame reinforcement. Even being a high school kid and playing with it at every light, I never had any problems. I'm glad this subject popped up, because I am about juice my 53 Belair. I'd love to do an aircraft setup, but I already have a bunch of parts that folks have given me over the years, so I'll use what I have. I'm gonna run two old Fenner Stone gate pumps(early Reds setup) off the battery under the hood, with 3 Delta dumps(2 for the front, 1 on the rear), 6 inch strokes on the front and 8's on the rear. I'm planning on running it coil under all the way around, so all the cylinders stay stationary and I can hardline everything. Here's a pic of my old Biscayne and one of the Fenner Stones I am rebuilding for my 53.

Attached Files:

15. chigger

chigger

I have a 20 year old pump and single manifold I was thinking of running on the 54, but it has been stripped of useable parts. ie solenoids and valves, motor coupling. Anyone have details on how to set this up/ wire this with 2 switches?. Its been WAY to long for me to remember. Sorry if this is out of place, feel free to delete this post, I cant find info anywhere else.