Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ray Farhner's Corvette

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Mar 6, 2009.

1. novadude

novadude

Not a fan of the assymetrical thing, but there is just something so cool about a 63-67 coupe w/ radiused wheelwells, Torq Thrusts, and six tailights.

2. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

That's so true. Seems like, in any industry, the only ones that get the big recognition are the coast guys. The exception being Starbird. I'd really like to see an article on Ray, too. I got to be friends with him for a short while and I think he's way under rated.

3. thehardway

thehardway
    from Missouri

Not trying to dig up old post but, just found this one and wanted to tell about the Ray I knew of....I did not know him in his early years as I am only 35 years old, But the man was like a custom hot rod god to me as a young boy building his model car kits....when I met him for the first time He was Drunk! and a real asshole....after that I only met him a handful of other times, before he passed. Each time The Same way (Drunk and a total asshole) But I did not care As the man was an artist in my book and I still respected him because of that...We had him punch some louvers for us on a 32 hood....Thats what he spent the last few years of his life doing, Drinking and punching louvers in a little hole in the wall garage....either way, Drunk or not, Asshole or not, Ray farhner was a custom car icon and a great builder in my book...

4. Jon Shoop

Jon Shoop
    from St Louis

Scotch......and water in the morning.....no water by the end of the work day.....

He was a very interesting guy.

Jon

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

They did a 6 page article on him in the Custom Car Yearbook in 63. Shows pic`s of his 40 Ford pu, X-Ray, White Lightning, Eclipse, Bumble Bee, Pagan(59 Chevy conv), and a 34 Ford 5-window.

6. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

The c cab with the money all over it was at speedway motors in the museum a few years back.

7. 1957pontiac

1957pontiac

Looking for Dads old 57 Pontiac tri-power (changed to a four barrel). 3 sp. Ray painted it in late 58 or early 59. Pearl white 3 coats, n 7 coats of clear lacquer. Bought at Galen Boyer Pontiac. Independence, MO in 1958. I like to give to my Dad to drive his last few years before he dies. He won a lot of drag races, & lots of trophies in the day. Its would lights his eyes up to see the old girl (57) again, n drive down memory lane. His name Jack Chrisman, mine is Joe. Any knowledge of where abouts of this car please contact me j64759 at gmail. com
    Thanks you alot
    Joe C.

8. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

Here is a photo of Outer Limits as it sits today! It will be up for grabs at the Auctions of America auction in Burbank, California August 1-3, 2013...hopefully someone buys it and restores it back to the first version! Maybe it's time to give the car a third paint job Tom Davidson ;)

I have created a page on Ray's Corvette, collecting as much info as possible here:

http://kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Ray_Farhner%27s_1963_Chevrolet

And here is a link to the auction:

http://auctionsamerica.com/events/f...rder&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=

9. Ognib

Ognib
    from Mo

I lived a couple of blocks from Rays shop in the mid 70s & would drop in every month or so to check out his action.
    He was always friendly & made me feel welcome.
    Last time I was there he had a center door T that he was working on.

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

WOW,that spiltwindow is cool,I like with twin light as first done best,best paint of those shown seems to be gold faded. I cut up a few splitwindows for IMSA sportscar racing. Wish I had those back.

11. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I agree. Does anyone know who bought it or where it went? It needs to be restored!

12. 48fordfkid

48fordfkid

Where do guys find all these split windows at???

13. trammel

trammel

One of the better Kustomizers of his time. His work always would speak for itself.

14. They didn't really "find it" anywhere, the car was customized when it was near new, and they were much more common.

15. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Yeah, it was built in '63....you could go to the Chevy dealer and "find" one for four grand.