Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead wiring

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nosdan, Mar 31, 2014.

1. nosdan

nosdan

Here is a drawing of the wiring I have setup to test fire a 52 flathead with a new 12v internally resisted coil. I'm not getting any spark to the plugs, but the engine cranks over fine. New rotor, cap, wires and plugs. Could it be the points? Is my wiring correct? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396319303.819111.jpg

Thanks

Drive fast & take chances

Attached Files:

2. gillman

gillman
    from n.j.

Remove the ground wire from the neg on the coil.You should only have the wire from the distributor on the neg side.

3. hanginlow58

hanginlow58

pretty sure that ground wire going to the coil is your problem, try it without it.

4. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Your grounding the coil

5. Tudorp

Tudorp

What they said. Your coil is shorted directly to ground causing it to discharge into ground and not through your points for a spark.

6. Like they said, remove ground wire at coil. I wonder how hot that coil got?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Should there also be a relay in the mix?

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

To elaborate a bit...the wire from coil to the points IS the ground system, grounding through the points to charge the coil, then firing the coil when the ground is removed by the points opening...so, with that terminal grounded by a wire into main circuit, points don't do anything at all and since ground is always there, your coil cannot fire.
    Gratuitous extra info: Sounds like you have the original distributor...it has two electrical problem areas that need to be examined because they are nearly invisible. One is a little ground strap from point plate to body of distributor...this eventually will break from normal flexing, leaving you with erratic ground and poor performance.
    The other place to watch is the small wire from coil...it goes through a plastic bushing where it enters the distributor, and this is a failure point when that bushing disintegrates.

9. nosdan

nosdan

Great Thanks for the insight... knew it had to be something stupidly simple. I'll check the other items there Bruce! Thanks for the tips.

10. Tudorp

Tudorp

All of what he said.. ;)

11. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

No relay. No way. Why would you want one in this circuit?

12. Tudorp

Tudorp

No relay in a coil circuit. Like mentioned above, all it is, is charging a coil, grounded through points, then discharging that coil through opening those points suddenly breaking that ground which causes a spark & discharge of the charged coil. No complicated circuit with relays etc. Those are generally in control type circuits.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER