Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just another Model A Roadster-Drop Axle Mechanical brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, May 18, 2011.

1. skryla

skryla
    from Brick, NJ

I love the look of the dropped headlights. Are there any resources on how to do it yourself or is it better left to the professionals?

2. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I bought a cheapie Mr. Roadster dropped headlight bar and kept the original one to cut up into headlight mounts when the fenders come off.

3. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Whoa, this was JUST what I was looking for. Very informative. Thank you.

4. skryla

skryla
    from Brick, NJ

Here is my repro dropped headlight bar. It goes with the look I am going for "the Gentlemen".

Attached Files:

Weedburner 40 likes this.
  5. Manager

Manager

I managed to get a set of 32 stubs for my car to run drop axle and mechanical brakes.. So I use the model A kingpins and 32 or A bushes? They list them as being different but I can't tell what the difference is from the pics on the various sites.
    Thanks, John.

6. Carter

Carter

The kingpin difference is in the angle the lock notch is at compared to the actuator cup. I ran A service brake shaft, A brake rods, A actuators, A kingpins, 32 spindles and axle. The kingpin needs to match the actuators, so if you are running A actuators, brake rods, and service shaft, use the A kingpins.

7. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I'm collecting parts to do this to my car as well

8. Manager

Manager

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirmation. The 32 spindle bushes will be the right diam for the A pin.

9. DetroitDesign

DetroitDesign

Hello, I am doing the same setup on my '30 Coupe, including the 4" stretched, dropped axle from Okie Joe, '32 spindles, '32 spring perches (extended) and reverse eye spring. I wanted to ask So-Cal Tex if you are running the tie rod above the spindle steering arm or did you reverse it and run the tie rod below the steering arm for clearance? Thanks! - Ian

10. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

[​IMG]
    Here's a picture of the setup So-Cal Tex runs - as can be seen, the tie-rod runs above the steering arm, mounted from the top, which CAN be run by resizing the hole with a new taper from the top.

Dannerr likes this.
  11. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's another setup, this time with a stock 33-36 axle, 32 perch bolts, spindles and brakes on a Model A wishbone, together with a reversed eye flattened front spring.

Dannerr likes this.