Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox with C4 speedo drive Q

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedchop, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Guys,
    I have a -49 Shoebox with a 289/C4 swap in progress. How have you managed the speedo drive from the C4 to the original speedometer? If possible I plan to retain the mechanical drive.. Any tips on how to do it?

Thanks Speedy

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. squirrel

squirrel

try a cable for a later 50s car. I don't know what year they changed the ends, but by the mid 50s they used the C4 style end on the trans, and still kept the threaded end at the speedo until some time in the 60s.

3. I used a stock speedo cable from a 1970 ford 1/2 ton. Bolted right up. I think mustang would work to. The truck one was just the right length to. Screwed right in the back of the 50 speedo.

4. By the way, if your running 300 gears and 225-75-15 wheels, the biege speedo drive in the trans is almost perfectly accurate.

5. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

A stock speedo cable from a late 60's mustang goes in like it was made for it . We got one for Legend544's '50 Shoe (and my '49) from CJ Pony Parts . I can get the part # the next time I'm over at his shop if ya want .

6. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Thanks Guys!! This place certainly hold a wealth of knowledge :)

Cheers Speedy

7. sillyasianz

sillyasianz

Great info. I'm also interested in that part #. Thanks!

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Go to NAPA get part# BK6151646 and you will be in business.

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

My friend Craig (Legend544) just dug through the trunk of my car (it's at his joint) and found my speedometer cable package for my Shoebox . We got it at CJponyparts , which is local for us (you can get it at www.cjponyparts.com ) . It's a cable for a 67-68 Mustang auto/3speed car , there's a part# on it , a Ford# , I'd assume c7zz-17260-a and it's a Daniel Carpenter repop part . Typing in that number didn't find the part on their site , so I found it for you guys :

http://www.cjponyparts.com/speedometer-cable-concours-automatic-1967-3-speed-1968/p/SC4/

It's like 22 bucks & fits right in there like it was made for it , length & all . It comes with the o-ring for where it goes in the trans , BTW .

10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I should add - with any Ford trans , you'll need a speedo gear to clip on the end of the speedo cable . There are different types , depending on which c4 you have (case fill vs. pan fill) . You'll have to play with ratios , but at least they're cheap too .

11. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Thanks Buddy!!
    Would have missed the clip otherwise. Got a large hole in the tranny case now.. Its a case fill gearbox. Any ideas which drive I should use? I'm not that picky with the speedo accuracy.. As long as its moving :)

Again thanks!!

Speedy

12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'll have to see if Craig remembers which gear we used on his car - might be a 17-tooth , but my mind's not what it used to be ;) .

13. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Ok, thanks! Does the gearing have to be matched to the shaft?

Speedy

14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

No , you don't have to make a "matched pair" . There are several choices to use .

15. Speedchop

Speedchop
    from Sweden

Thanks! I'll look into it.. spring is coming fast :)

Speedy

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Yes sir !