Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A radiator question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 40coupefan, Mar 31, 2014.

1. 40coupefan

40coupefan
    from Trumann,AR

I have a 30-31 radiator that I want to use in a filled 32 shell. I know the top of radiator will be filled and a fill pipe will need to be put in top tank. I don't have my 32 shell yet will I have any problems doing this? I am running the Model A banger. I also want to run a hood.

2. You are going to have to adapt the hood hinge, the Model A was a rod and the Model B was formed stainless sheet metal.

Charlie Stephens

3. jkeesey

jkeesey

Just use a 32 hood top.

4. 4bangertroy

4bangertroy
    from Phoenix

Just use the model A hood hinge bracket on the 32 shell.

5. verde742

verde742

just to ez

6. Christom

Christom

You may find the top tank clashes with the '32 shell along the front edge. The '32 radiator is nearly an inch lower to allow for the sloped front of the shell. Check out the Walker Radiator website and you can see the difference mentioned there. Don't ask me how I learned about this haha.....

7. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

I'm doin the same thing right now. With a 32 shell and full hood the stock radiator is too high by about 1.5". I'm bringing my radiator in to a shop today to get recored 1.5" smaller. Problem solved. Costs about 300$ around here.

8. 40coupefan

40coupefan
    from Trumann,AR

Rob so you are having your rad re-cored and top filled and new water fill put in? I was hoping to not have to do all of that. 31 shell looks better all the time!

9. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Yeah I cut the filler off the top. He will put a 90 degree one right below where the rods mount. It will clear the rods and hood. plus ad the extra outlets for flathead v-8

10. I've got a bone stock Model B radiator waiting to be shortened up (to go on my T RPU). Let me know if I can provide pics/measurements.

11. 40coupefan

40coupefan
    from Trumann,AR

Thanks guys for the info!

12. fourd

fourd
    from Colorado

I was advised that the 32 shell is a direct fit to an A radiator, not so as I just experienced. I was thinking finding a B radiator was the solution but I have a nice 30/31 radiator I would like to use. Is the answer to shorten the radiator and extend the neck?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Flathead 51

Flathead 51
    from St Paul MN

A '32 commercial shell (truck) is a direct fit on an A radiator. The '32 passenger shell is not a direct fit on an A radiator. I'm running a B radiator on my '31 so I could run the original '32 shell I have.