Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical opinions on how to mount a fan shroud

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by monkeyodoom, Mar 28, 2014.

1. monkeyodoom

monkeyodoom
    from Arkansas

I'm replacing the radiator on my 41 ford deluxe with a new aluminum radiator from champion. The original radiator did not have a shroud and cooled just fine but i'm putting in a new motor and would like to make sure that it is cooled properly. I'll be using a mechanical clutch fan and the motor is a chevy 350.

Has anyone used one of the champion radiators for a 40ish model ford and made a shroud for it? Do you have any opinions/ideas on how to mount a shroud to this radiator?

Attached Files:

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I would start by measuring the fan diameter and radiator and shopping the junk yard for a suitable shroud. You will see how they mount to the radiator support not the radiator. The shroud opening must be larger than the fan because the engine moves around. Do not overlook the older pickups and vans.

If I could not find one to fit, or that I could modify to fit, I would be thinking of making one out of sheet metal.

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This is one I built for a '32, notice the tabs welded to the side channels of the radiator. I installed rivnuts in the tabs.

Attached Files:

4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I would see how it runs without a shroud, before going to the trouble and expense of putting one on it.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I recall reading something along the lines that the fan blades should be only 1/3 or 2/3 into the shroud to prevent cavitation of air. Air is then drawn through radiator to exit the rear and isn't stale and hot which in turn causes heat build up.

6. Canuck

Canuck

Marty, nice work

Canuck

7. 59 brook

59 brook

summit sells a few do it yourself shroud kits that aren't to expensive and work well

8. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Here's a pic I found of my home made shroud and it's attachment to the radiator.
    [​IMG]

9. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Here's one I made. I think a simple hoop shroud is just as effective as elaborate boxed in ones.

Blue

Attached Files:

• 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      98.3 KB
      Views:
  10. monkeyodoom

monkeyodoom
    from Arkansas

Thanks. that gives me some ideas on how to mount it. i don't have any welding skills so i was looking at using rivits to mount the shroud to the radiator. i'm hoping that i wont need one but its a new motor and new radiator so not sure as of now how well it will work without one.

11. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

The one marty posted is a great example and beautifuly done. You want it to cover the entire radiator, you are creating ducting to suck air through your radiator, when people just put the ring around the fan, it only allows the fan to pull air in that circle and you loose four corners worth of cooling. The fan blades should be 1/2 inside the shroud. Thermostatic Clutch fans (little curly spring on front) are the best in my opinion, but they absolutely need a shroud to work right. Without a shroud the hot air is not focused on the clutch and it won't heat up enough to fully engage when the motor is at temp... and the motors will actually run warmer in cold weather due to the ambient air being colder and not letting the clutch warm up. Weird but I speak from experience.

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks Canuck and Matt, here is one more example mounted on steel side channels. This one never runs over 180 !

Attached Files:

13. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

I like to split mine so it's easier to take it off and get to the fan bolts and belts... I don't have a pic of mine, but here's a stock 1964 Galaxie shroud I got the idea from. The bottom just stays bolted to the radiator when servicing anything or changing fan belts.

Attached Files:

14. jeffgies

jeffgies

How deep should a shroud be? I'm thinking something along the line of Mr Strode's above (nice one btw)

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

How much room do you have between the fan and the radiator? I think, as long as you don't bury the fan in the shroud, you could build it 1 1/2" minimum up to 8" deep. This one is around 2 1/2". P1010072.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  16. jeffgies

jeffgies

There's 4" of clearance from the water pump pulley and downward and there's at 6" of clearance above the pulley. I have to use an electric fan, which I guess gets mounted to the 'outside' of the shroud.

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is one with an electric fan on a drag car. IMG_2052.JPG IMG_2052.JPG IMG_2055.JPG IMG_2058.JPG IMG_2059.JPG IMG_2060.JPG IMG_2061.JPG IMG_2061.JPG

18. Danchuck offers a nice looking stamped steel shroud for the tri five Chevys that might fit a lot of these older cars well. May be to wide for the early Fords