Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1931 ford Model A coupe New project!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob twenty nine, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Just picked up a new project. 1931 ford Model A 5 window coupe. Now what?

Attached Files:

2. bandit14569

bandit14569

Drive it......... at least for a little while. It looks to pretty to chop up so soon after buying if thats your intention.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

leave it the hell alone and drive it

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. What are your plans? You must have something in mind to be calling it your next project???

5. 8-Track

8-Track

dropped front axel, V8, Chop the roof and juice brakes for starters

6. Hi guy's, thanks for the interest! A lot of chopped up cars here in Ca, Not complaining as i dig the way they look but was thinking to leave the car stock and just lower it to the correct stance and curz!

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Sounds like you need to be on "Ford barn"...

8. I'm on both!
    If it was mine I would do what a kid in the late 40's would do. Carefully remove the fenders, boards,and bumpers, drop the headlites. Then drop the front and rear 40's style, reversed spring eyes, remove a few leaves front and rear. Then 7:50-16's on rear and 6:00-16's on front, black walls with the same color wheel as is on now. A set of real good shocks would help.
    While you do this you still can drive al the time cause you are not restoring.
    Then you scout up some 40's, early 50's banger speed equipment, and add it as you find it. Don't think repaint, just shine what's there. It's a sweet.
    car, you can do what you want this way and when you get tired of it, put back the stuff you took off or offer it, and pass it on to somebody like me who wants to live the life like I was 18 in 1952!
    That's what I think.
    Good luck!

9. PS: Mine has looked like you see it for over 10 years and has always been on the road and driven.

10. b-bob

b-bob

I like how you think.

11. I try to turn this car thing into a philosophy.
    I've had plenty of old cars in the last 50 years, but I'm not mch for wrenching!
    I have enormous respect for the guys that love to build and restore, but I love the drive. I never restored a car in my life. I painted a 54 Dodge in the back yard in 1969 and that was the end of my bodyworking. After that I tried to find good originals or cars that were not in need of total restoration. I early on realized that cars can tell you what they want to be.You just have to listen. This A told the buyer it wanted to be a Hot Rod. Now he's looking for what kind. It is often easy to do less and drive more and anyhow the best cars of any kind only live in museums. The fun cars are on the road.
    I like to keep them on the road!
    For me the fun is scroungin up the cars and parts, getting them running and driving and passing them on.

12. Thanks Tony! I get it, over the last 10 years I've restored 3 cars which took years each to complete only to have some guy offer me crazy money and They're the one who get to enjoy them, NOT THIS TIME. Very much appreciate the wisdom.!!!

13. Bob, great to hear that! Just saying, this hobby can be as much or more fun outside the garage. Also, the feeling you get after you like take off the fenders and go out and drive is the same feeling the kid got back in '48! And you get the same feeling every time you do something, and you don't have to wait 3 years!
    None of what we do hear makes any real sense in a practical way anyway!
    And, most people wish they could do it!
    Drive on and good luck!

14. Another PS:
    My wife of 42 years rides along and just said I always have a shit-eating grin on while I'm driving!

15. That coupe looks sweet! Perfect candidate for a hopped up 4 banger.

16. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hello Bob nice coupe! I have a 31 coupe also in the same color combo as yours. Mine is totally stock and came from California as well. I have it stored until I finish another project and then I will decide which way to take it. Every week I think of a different build direction for the coupe.